News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most consistently scenic state borders

Started by jaehak, March 05, 2022, 03:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaehak

What would it be?

Colorado and Utah are definitely 2 of the most scenic states and share a long border, but there are definitely a lot of "meh"  crossings between them. Which state border is constantly the most scenic? I'd imagine it would actually be somewhere east given the shorter borders.

Guesses off the top of my head - VA /WV?  TN/NC?

Max Rockatansky

California and Nevada have some pretty spectacular mountain scenery.  The Mojave Desert, White Mountains, Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada Mountains are all highly scenic.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN/WI is probably an underrated one in this question, though some of the northern county-maintained crossings might detract in some minds.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ozarkman417

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 05, 2022, 04:43:47 PM
MN/WI is probably an underrated one in this question, though some of the northern county-maintained crossings might detract in some minds.
This can be extended southward to include IA/WI. Highways like IA 26 & 35 in the Mississippi River valley make the border area's good views accessible.

webny99

SkyPesos

IL/MI border. Lots of lake water to enjoy on both sides, (and potential Chicago skyline views on good weather days)  :sombrero:

Road Hog

FrCorySticha

The crossings of the MT/ID border are all mountain passes or valleys, and most of the border is mountainous terrain that is extremely remote and basically inaccessible.

Rothman

Quote from: FrCorySticha on March 05, 2022, 10:43:37 PM
The crossings of the MT/ID border are all mountain passes or valleys, and most of the border is mountainous terrain that is extremely remote and basically inaccessible.
I-15 is surprisingly scenic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Terry Shea

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 05, 2022, 09:09:56 PM
IL/MI border. Lots of lake water to enjoy on both sides, (and potential Chicago skyline views on good weather days)  :sombrero:
There is no IL/MI border except for the middle of Lake Michigan where no roads go.

thspfc

Rothman

Quote from: Terry Shea on March 06, 2022, 12:56:41 AM
There is no IL/MI border except for the middle of Lake Michigan where no roads go.
That's...the...joke...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Road Hog on March 05, 2022, 10:23:57 PM
The view is kind of flat though.

Only because Teddy Roosevelt said it.

skluth

I prefer the WI/MI border, but I'm biased because I grew up in that area. Just lots of lakes and pine-covered hills with a scenic river going into a Great Lake at each end.

vdeane

Meanwhile, the NY/RI border has lots of ocean water.  I wonder if one could see the Montauk Point Lighthouse from it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

thspfc

Quote from: skluth on March 06, 2022, 11:18:14 AM
I prefer the WI/MI border, but I'm biased because I grew up in that area. Just lots of lakes and pine-covered hills with a scenic river going into a Great Lake at each end.
WI/MI is just a bunch of trees. WI/MN is far more scenic.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on March 06, 2022, 05:30:45 PM

I haven't really seen MI/WI, having only been as far east as Ashland, but I was struck by the surprising beauty of I-90 at MN/WI even when I was a tween.

LilianaUwU

QC/NB's crossings are definitely scenic, with views of the mountains around each one of them.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

US 89

ID/WY is also pretty decent, despite both states having large areas of boring flat farms and high deserts. All the major crossings either have fairly scenic mountain views or are in a national park.

skluth

You haven't seen the entire border then. I'll take Wisconsin's border with Michigan over its Minnesota border any day. There are beautiful lakes for swimming, fishing, and boating, not to mention Lake Superior and Green Bay. There are two mostly unspoiled rivers, the Montreal and Menomonee; both feature some fantastic waterfalls. There's gorgeous islands such as Washington Island, Rock Island, and the Apostle Islands. And technically, Lake Michigan is much of the border so I can include the entire Lake Michigan shoreline down to Kenosha. I'll take all that over an admitted pretty river valley and not much else.

The southern part of the WI/MN border doesn't look much different from the IA/WI border or the IA/IL border. I'd take Wisconsin's border with IA over its border with MN. All are much superior to the WI/IL border though.

thspfc

Quote from: skluth on March 06, 2022, 07:15:56 PM
You haven't seen the entire border then. I'll take Wisconsin's border with Michigan over its Minnesota border any day. There are beautiful lakes for swimming, fishing, and boating, not to mention Lake Superior and Green Bay. There are two mostly unspoiled rivers, the Montreal and Menomonee; both feature some fantastic waterfalls. There's gorgeous islands such as Washington Island, Rock Island, and the Apostle Islands. And technically, Lake Michigan is much of the border so I can include the entire Lake Michigan shoreline down to Kenosha. I'll take all that over an admitted pretty river valley and not much else.

The southern part of the WI/MN border doesn't look much different from the IA/WI border or the IA/IL border. I'd take Wisconsin's border with IA over its border with MN. All are much superior to the WI/IL border though.
WI/MN has the majority of the WI-35 corridor, which is generally considered to be the most scenic highway end-to-end in Wisconsin. Also, Perrot State Park, Interstate State Park, and the area up near Duluth.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: thspfc on March 06, 2022, 08:03:55 AM
TN/NC

Beautiful, except for the persistent smoky haze (not quite the same as the atmospheric phenomenon that the mountain chain is named after).  I would suggest that the border between Virginia and West Virginia is even more consistently scenic, except for Bluefield and the Pocahontas coalfields.  And of course, there is Glen Lyn (which is spectacular from a Roadgeek perspective).

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 06, 2022, 07:29:07 PM
Quote from: skluth on March 06, 2022, 07:15:56 PM

WI/MN has the majority of the WI-35 corridor, which is generally considered to be the most scenic highway end-to-end in Wisconsin. Also, Perrot State Park, Interstate State Park, and the area up near Duluth.

If I can jump in here...

It kind of depends on how you're defining "state border". If you're defining it as the general area surrounding the state line, I'll take WI/MI. But if you're defining it as the scenery of each individual crossing, I'll take WI/MN (obviously, the presence of a major river vs. a bunch of middle-of-nowhere crossings heavily benefits WI/MN under this definition).

paulthemapguy

Quote from: FrCorySticha on March 05, 2022, 10:43:37 PM

I was going to suggest Montana/Idaho on the basis that this border is literally cut from the Continental Divide, marking what is roughly the crest of the Rocky Mountains.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

JayhawkCO

1. MT/ID
2. ID/WY
3. CA/NV
4. OR/WA
5. CO/NM
6. VT/NH
7. MN/WI
8. TN/NC

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.