News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Farthest away from a state line is a Welcome Sign

Started by roadman65, August 21, 2019, 06:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Then Connecticut should make their welcome signs off of Savage Hill Road in Berlin (geographical center of our little state)!  :awesomeface:

Although this isn't my photo...is the state line marked in the tunnel like this? I could never get a shot of the Lincoln Tunnel line this clearly on my own! :(

CNGL-Leudimin

The Welcome signs leaving an airport made me wonder if any "Welcome to Hawaii" signs exist. It appears there aren't any, at least leaving Honolulu airport.

BTW, it's about time for Mr. Google to ship its car to Hawaii again, they haven't been there for eight years now.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vdeane

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 29, 2019, 06:19:08 PM
The Welcome signs leaving an airport made me wonder if any "Welcome to Hawaii" signs exist. It appears there aren't any, at least leaving Honolulu airport.
I remember seeing one in the Facebook poll tournament of welcome signs the AARoads page did.  I think it's inside the airport.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mrsman

While this is pretty close to the state line, there is a welcome to VA sign in the Rosslyn Metro, the first VA station on the blue and orange lines.   (I always thought it unusual to put a highway style sign on a subway.)

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/rosslyn-metro-station-arlington?select=tjb4VIDm5FXWKsEdJK16Pw

There is no similar sign at Pentagon, the first VA station for the yellow line.  Possibly because Pentagon is also the third VA station for the blue line.

1995hoo

^^^^^

That particular sign has been replaced by the current-style welcome sign used on highways–but there's still a sign there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

index

Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2019, 06:57:30 PM
There are probably a few at airports.

North Carolina does this with their airports. There's one at Charlotte Douglas International if I remember correctly.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

michravera

Quote from: US 89 on August 21, 2019, 08:06:48 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 21, 2019, 06:57:30 PM
There are probably a few at airports.

Indeed, the Salt Lake City airport has a Welcome to Utah sign, and that's about 52 miles as the crow flies from the nearest border. Atlanta also has one, approximately 50 miles from the closest state line.

Excluding airports, the biggest example of this I've seen personally is US 491 entering New Mexico. The actual line is marked only by a change to much shittier pavement, and the NM welcome sign doesn't show up for another mile or two if I remember correctly.

I believe that SFO and OAK both have such signs. SFO would be some 250 km from the border on US-50.  But, I wonder about Monterey (only been to the GA terminal), San Luis Opispo, and Santa Barbara. The last two would each be almost 700 km to the border by car.

I believe that the "Welcome Center" on I-15 is over 100 km from the border in Primm.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.