Amazon to open fulfillment centers in El Paso and Albuquerque

Started by Pink Jazz, May 27, 2020, 04:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

Earlier this month, it was announced Amazon was opening a fulfillment center in El Paso, and it looks like as of yesterday, Amazon has announced they will be opening one in Albuquerque as well.

It looks like Amazon is building more fulfillment centers in medium-sized cities with recent openings such as Tucson and other recent announcements such as Colorado Springs.  Albuquerque and El Paso fill a gap in Amazon's fulfillment center coverage, having to feed less off Phoenix, Tucson, Denver, and DFW.

I actually wonder if one of them will be a Sortable fulfillment center and the other will be Non-Sortable.  Sortable FCs mainly deal with small- to medium-sized items, while Non-Sortable deal mainly with bulky items or items with irregular dimensions.  Having both types in the area can help with the delivery coverage.

Scott5114

Amazon is a garbage company. They let an employee have a heart attack and lie on the floor for 20 minutes before sending an (internal) EMT to check on him, and he died. Then they told all of the other employees to basically brush it off and get back to work.

And it's not like they're any better if you don't work for them. My business sold products through Amazon Prime for a few months. We sent products to three fulfillment centers (RIC2, FTW6, and FAT1). RIC2 got there fine and was the only one of the three that actually sent out any product. The shipment we sent to FTW6 was returned because the address Amazon gave us could not be found by USPS. When the package returned, I checked the label. Exactly the address Amazon gave. Do they really not know the address of their own facility?

The FAT1 debacle was the worst, though. The package, containing $206.91 worth of product, was confirmed delivered to FAT1 by USPS. However, it didn't show on Amazon's end as having being received. Amazon has a "reconciliation" process for investigating missing packages. When I went to the reconcilation page, all it said was "We like to get it right. The date that your shipment becomes eligible for investigation will be shown after all your boxes have been checked in." Of course, the problem was that Amazon never checked in the boxes. I contacted Amazon multiple times and was told to use the reconcilation process after the boxes were checked in...which they never did, so no "reconcilation date" was ever posted. Then the screen changed to say "We like to get it right. This shipment is no longer eligible for reconciliation. Reconciliation requests must be submitted within 9 months from when the shipment was received at the fulfillment center."

They, apparently, do not like to get it right. And, with us being out $206.91, now they don't get our product for sale on Amazon Prime.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

From my limited knowledge, third parties selling things through Amazon is pretty much a nightmare for all involved. We've been on the receiving end of the debacle several times, having received random product intended for another company, had someone else receive our order, and had stuff just plain old not show up after weeks on end, including a small order that was supposedly coming from Russia. Big surprise that never showed up.

Amazon just got way too big way too fast, and it shows. They haven't had time to develop a proper vision, mission, culture, and company values: all the building blocks that used to be essential to the foundation of a successful enterprise.

Pink Jazz

Looks like this video essentially confirms the Albuquerque fulfillment center will be an Amazon Robotics Sortable warehouse:
https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...43045/?cat=504

I wonder if El Paso will be a Non-Sortable for the bulky and irregularly-shaped items.  Nearest Non-Sortable warehouses right now are PHX7 in Phoenix and PHX5 in Goodyear.

Pink Jazz

Looks like in Albuquerque Amazon is shoring up its local delivery network ahead of the fulfillment center opening:
https://logistics.amazon.com/marketing/opportunity

No word on El Paso yet.

Scott5114

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 28, 2020, 06:34:38 PM
Looks like in Albuquerque Amazon is shoring up its local delivery network ahead of the fulfillment center opening:
https://logistics.amazon.com/marketing/opportunity

No word on El Paso yet.

No amount of fulfillment centers or robotics can shore up shitty service or employee relations.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.