Louisville Bridge Project Changes

Started by ShawnP, January 04, 2011, 04:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kharvey10

ShawnP

Might be, could be..........believe when the trucks are starting to roll.

mukade

So INDOT will be responsible for financing and building over 2.5 miles of new freeway, bridge, and tunnel in Kentucky? The actual bridge itself is almost all in Kentucky, and an additional 5 miles of freeway must be built in Indiana to connect with existing SR 265. Also, KYTC will responsible for creating a new 1+ mile approach to the new bridge on I-65, but I guess I have seen a mile or so into another state - Illinois was responsible for ~1 mile of I-80/I-94 into Indiana just a few years ago.

I guess I have two questions:
- why is this project split 50-50 when the Ohio river is almost all within Kentucky?
- what has been the longest project managed and financed by one state that is outside the bounds of that state?

ShawnP

50/50 because Kentucky has serious cash problems IMHO. They have Garvee'd their roads budget far too much.

tdindy88

If they had distrubuted the project based on the actual jurisdiction of who has the Ohio River, (on a personal note I have never understood why Kentucky owns the Ohio River, who cares if Virginia did at one point, but why does one state get to be in charge of a river when it effects states on both sides, end rant,) then Kentucky would have to build the Downtown Bridge, East End Bridge, Spaghetti Junction, and the I-265 approach into Kentucky including tunnel. All of this while Indiana would be in charge only of the I-65 approaches in Jeffersonville and the East End approach up to SR 62. Reluctantly I would have to think that would be a little too unfair for Kentucky to bare such a burden for a bridge that will be used by many Hoosiers. The way they have annouced with Kentucky getting the downtown bridge and Indiana the East End, it's a little more fair. And if Kentucky gives us permission to build a bridge in their precious river then we can get closer to actually building these things. And apologies to those living in Kentucky, I'm sure most of you don't have any say in 1700s policy decisions.

mukade

Tentative financial plans chosen for Ohio River Bridges Project

"Transportation planners with Indiana and Kentucky think they know how their respective states are going to secure funding for the Ohio River Bridges Project..."

hbelkins

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 01, 2012, 10:37:49 AM
(on a personal note I have never understood why Kentucky owns the Ohio River, who cares if Virginia did at one point, but why does one state get to be in charge of a river when it effects states on both sides, end rant,)

The states aren't. The US Army Corps of Engineers and other federal agencies are.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.