News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 35 in West Virginia

Started by hbelkins, October 20, 2013, 04:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 22, 2019, 11:44:29 AM
http://wvmetronews.com/2019/04/19/paving-contract-awarded-for-route-35-gap-project/

Final paving contract awarded, to WV Paving.  Completion in October 2020 (just before Election Day). 

IMHO, long past due.  The existing road is simply dangerous. 

<edit> WV Paving, sorry.

If I get to go to the Portsmouth meet, I intend to go take a look at the construction on this project. I figure most of the county roads that turn westward off existing US 35 will run through the work zone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Certainly.  A turn away from the river (left if NB, right if SB) on any CR will within a half mile or so bring you to either a bridge which will carry the new 35 high above you, or a future at grade intersection with the new route. 

In_Correct

They are all ways long past due.

Is there a recent map of where the new U.S. 35 will be?
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

SP Cook

https://transportation.wv.gov/highways/Highways-Projects/US_35/Pages/US35Maps.aspx

Sad to say this is from the CURRENT projects page at the WV DOH.  Note that the maps are from 2009.   In any event all the colors except red are open, the red section is the one that the paving contract was just awarded for.  Pretty much they just went about a half mile west and built the new road.  The old road will remain as WV 817 for local traffic. 

The projects page has projects on it that have been finished for more than 10 years and does not have newer projects on it at all.  How hard is it to update a web page?

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2019, 01:43:55 PM
If I get to go to the Portsmouth meet, I intend to go take a look at the construction on this project. I figure most of the county roads that turn westward off existing US 35 will run through the work zone.

I will be using the US-35 corridor on my July trip to NW Indiana, and be able to view the project.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

goobnav

Quote from: Beltway on April 25, 2019, 01:22:15 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2019, 01:43:55 PM

I will be using the US-35 corridor on my July trip to NW Indiana, and be able to view the project.

Thanks Beltway!!  Will be using this route in September to see my step son in Indy.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

SP Cook

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 22, 2019, 02:25:16 PM
Certainly.  A turn away from the river (left if NB, right if SB) on any CR will within a half mile or so bring you to either a bridge which will carry the new 35 high above you, or a future at grade intersection with the new route.

What would be the three or four best county routes from which to access this project? Are there going to be grade-separated interchanges or at-grade intersections for these routes?

Giving some serious thought to running up there this weekend to take a look.

Any button copy left on US 35 between Jackson and the river?

seicer

A view of the US Route 35 expressway at the Interstate 64 interchange. US Route 35 ends just south at Teays Valley Road.

TOP: US Route 35 south to Interstate 64 east; MIDDLE: US Route 35; BOTTOM: Interstate 64

This is the future US Route 35 interchange with WV Route 817 / To WV Route 869. For a few years, mainline US Route 35 descended down a curvy, steep grade to the old alignment, now signed as WV Route 817.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: seicer on December 05, 2020, 09:53:47 PM

A view of the US Route 35 expressway at the Interstate 64 interchange. US Route 35 ends just south at Teays Valley Road.

Wow, great pix.  The first two are what my old backyard looks like now.

hbelkins

The pavement on US 35 looks awful. It didn't hold up well at all.

In that last photo, the two-lane road to the right ... does it go under a big concrete box culvert or does it end there? Hard to tell from the photo.

And in the first ones ... There's an overhead for the left turn onto westbound 64 over the opposing lanes of traffic on the connector from US 35 to Teays Valley Road? That's ... unusual.

seicer

Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2020, 09:28:43 PM
The pavement on US 35 looks awful. It didn't hold up well at all.

I'll post up new photos of the northern segment tomorrow. The section from Henderson south for 8.5 miles was built in three segments and opened in c. 2000 and 2009-10 and it's a crapshoot. The asphalt is in godawful condition and the concrete is relatively good where it's not cracked from extensive settling. There is the start of joint delamination throughout so this will be a maintenance issue in the future. The portion from Buffalo south opened ... c. 2008-09 (?) and is equally rough. I'm not sure if it's the fill being used (light on rocks, heavy on clay?) but there is excessive settling throughout this project that hasn't occurred on roads like Corridor H or Corridor G.

QuoteIn that last photo, the two-lane road to the right ... does it go under a big concrete box culvert or does it end there? Hard to tell from the photo.

And in the first ones ... There's an overhead for the left turn onto westbound 64 over the opposing lanes of traffic on the connector from US 35 to Teays Valley Road? That's ... unusual.

It ends - it's a side road for basically a hunting camp or house and the grades up to it are something like 15% or 20%. The end gives a great overlook of the future interchange. As for the first photo - the overhead gantry is for Teays Valley Road and is the end of US 35 technically. I always wondered if the highway will be extended south to US 119 in the future.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2020, 09:28:43 PM
<snipped>

Quote from: seicer on December 06, 2020, 10:24:45 PM
<snipped>
As for the first photo - the overhead gantry is for Teays Valley Road and is the end of US 35 technically. I always wondered if the highway will be extended south to US 119 in the future.

My folks got copies of DOH plans for extension of US-35 to where it used to end, connecting such that it extends the west end of four-lane US-60 where Main Street and Winfield Road (WV-817) all come together.  US-35 was planned to cross Teays Valley Road on an overpass and at the top of the grade Hedrick Road would be connected to a loopback to Teays Valley Road that went right through my folks house.  The cattle farm straight ahead (owned by an older friend that grew up there) has been targeted by Target (pun not intended), but most of the proposed improvements would be in the future US-35 easements.  Putnam officials tend to think that the DOH plans were to appease St. Albans politicians who were losing the US-35 designation.  Nobody believed that there was any chance this would ever get constructed.

seicer

From there, it isn't much of a stretch to extend it to US Route 119 at Alum Creek. Just getting it to US Route 60 is half the battle.

1995hoo

We drove on West Virginia's US-35 on October 1 en route to Dayton and we were surprised at how many "Bump" or "Dip" or similar signs there were on the northern four-lane portion. It didn't seem like all that old of a road (I see seicer's comments about when it was built) that it should have been in that sort of condition.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

seicer

This is a view of US Route 35 8½ miles from WV Route 2 and Henderson, and where the northern four-lane expressway ties into the old route along the Kanawha River. This section of highway was built/opened in 2010.

The latest (and last) segment to open is between this point and the future Buffalo interchange, a distance of roughly 16 miles. It is set for completion in mid-2021.

Buck87

^ In the 2nd set of pics, what's the plan for the half mile segment of 4 lane between new and old 35 once the new section is open?

seicer

I am assuming it will be converted into a local road. An intersection to it is being graded out.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2020, 08:35:13 AM
We drove on West Virginia's US-35 on October 1 en route to Dayton and we were surprised at how many "Bump" or "Dip" or similar signs there were on the northern four-lane portion. It didn't seem like all that old of a road (I see seicer's comments about when it was built) that it should have been in that sort of condition.

A lot of newer DOH projects have had issues with slips. The completed section of the King Coal Highway in Mingo County is rife with them, and WV 43 has some issues as well.

None quite compares to the part of Corridor G (US 119) near Chief Logan that park, where the median barrier is about a foot shorter than it should be because DOH added asphalt to the travel lanes to correct a slip but didn't redo the Jersey barrier: https://goo.gl/maps/r7mJdhDAT8GRsJFn6

hbelkins

Checked out the work on Saturday. (See my Five-state road trip post for details.) Looks like there will be only one access point along the new route. All the other county roads I drove up were bridged over. I didn't go up three roads which looked to be really minor in nature.

A post upthread said the work was supposed to be done last fall. They obviously missed that deadline. Any updates on a completion date? Looked to me like all they lack is the final surface (it's asphalt) and tying in to the existing four-lane at each end.

I plan to go check it out again when it's open to traffic.

They now have WV 817 concurrently signed with US 35. Last time I was there, it wasn't signed concurrently; WV 817 ended at the intersection near the Buffalo Bridge and apparently picked back up again as a separate segment near Pt. Pleasant. All they'll have to do now is remove the US 35 signs and reposition the WV 817 signs on the posts when the new route opens.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2021, 08:07:48 PM
They now have WV 817 concurrently signed with US 35. Last time I was there, it wasn't signed concurrently; WV 817 ended at the intersection near the Buffalo Bridge and apparently picked back up again as a separate segment near Pt. Pleasant. All they'll have to do now is remove the US 35 signs and reposition the WV 817 signs on the posts when the new route opens.

Ouch.  Unclinched again! 

I-55

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 01, 2021, 11:11:58 AM

Ouch.  Unclinched again!

817 was co-signed with US-35 when I went to the New River Gorge back in July 2018, so it's been signed there for a while (and of course will stay as 817 after the alignment change of 35).
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

rickmastfan67

Quote from: I-55 on June 02, 2021, 07:06:19 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 01, 2021, 11:11:58 AM

Ouch.  Unclinched again!

817 was co-signed with US-35 when I went to the New River Gorge back in July 2018, so it's been signed there for a while (and of course will stay as 817 after the alignment change of 35).

Another segment of WV-817 that was co-signed with US-35 was removed recently.

The co-signed segment near Henderson was removed ( https://goo.gl/maps/iybHZWf7cUmBxQGW8 ) in ~May 2018 when they rerouted it onto a new 2-lane road between those two intersections that parallels US-35.  Kinda amazed that Google still doesn't show the new road yet, over 3 years later.

hbelkins

To my knowledge. WV 817 has never been signed from WV 2 at the intersection between the US 35 interchange and the Kanawha River bridge. Unless that signage has been added since I was last through there, it's signed only for "Henderson" and not any route number.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.