Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

King Coal / Tolsia Highway (US 52)

<< < (18/19) > >>

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: seicer on June 07, 2021, 09:47:27 AM ---400 new road projects proposed because of the surplus, including a line about the Welch bypass which could either be for the King Coal or Coalfields Expressway: https://www.wvnstv.com/top-stories/more-than-400-road-projects-planned-if-funding-approved-by-wv-legislature/

--- End quote ---

These are small dollar projects, mostly resurfacing. The project is for repaving the existing "bypass" that goes over the hill around downtown Welch.

hbelkins:
I'm in Princeton, WV tonight. Checked out the construction of the short extension of US 52 from US 460 northward beyond the big "bridge to nowhere" that crosses US 19. There is construction underway on two other bridges beyond that, including a bridge across WV 123. It looks like some grade work is taking place to the north of WV 123, although my understanding was that the next phase of construction was going to end at WV 123 and that would be the end of the road for the foreseeable future, as nothing else is planned beyond that spot. There will have to be an access road built, though, since the four-lane and 123 are grade-separated.

seicer:
Capito says King Coal Highway, Coalfields Expressway are priorities for the state

The amount of money that will be available for work on King Coal Highway and the Coalfields Expressway has not yet been determined, but Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., said both are priorities for the state.

Capito said during a virtual press conference Thursday $3.5 billion is included in the infrastructure bill for state highways, spread out over five years, and she knows both projects are touted by Gov. Jim Justice.

“Those big projects are in his priority plan,” she said, adding that the state already has a 10-year plan, a “pretty good road map” of where those priorities are.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: seicer on August 07, 2021, 11:33:54 AM ---Capito says King Coal Highway, Coalfields Expressway are priorities for the state

The amount of money that will be available for work on King Coal Highway and the Coalfields Expressway has not yet been determined, but Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., said both are priorities for the state.

Capito said during a virtual press conference Thursday $3.5 billion is included in the infrastructure bill for state highways, spread out over five years, and she knows both projects are touted by Gov. Jim Justice.

“Those big projects are in his priority plan,” she said, adding that the state already has a 10-year plan, a “pretty good road map” of where those priorities are.

--- End quote ---

The state having a 10-year plan would be news to the people I know at WVDOH. They've been hesitating on releasing STIP updates as of late because their cash flow problems are so acute that projects shift constantly.

seicer:
Justice determined to see King Coal Highway finished

"Gov. Jim Justice says he is determined to see three major highway projects in the state completed, including King Coal Highway.

[...]

All highways have sections complete with the King Coal Highway project in Mercer County that connects Interstate 77/Rt. 460 with Airport Road scheduled to be finished this year.

Once it is open to traffic, the new road will provide improved access to the Mercer County Airport. It will also provide a new route to the Hatfield-McCoy Trail for ATV tourists who travel to the region each week as they can exit I-77, go to Airport Road and then to Brushfork and Rt. 52.

The next section is going from Airport Road to Littlesburg Road and Montcalm, but no plans are yet in place on when that will be done.

[...]

The Coalfields Expressway will connect the Beckley area and I-77/I-64 with Rt. 460 in Buchanan County, Va., cutting across McDowell County.

Funding for a section from Mullens to Welch, which will cost $200 million, was obtained earlier this year through the sale of turnpike bonds

Joe Pack, state Division of Highways District 10 engineer/manager, recently said rights-of-way are being secured in the Welch area to make way for the highway."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version