News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ford-backed Cavnue seeks to rewire I-94 for self-driving cars

Started by afguy, April 27, 2022, 05:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

It should be interesting to see how this project turns out...

QuoteWashington, D.C.-based Cavnue LLC, which is focused on designing roads for the future, was tapped by state officials in August 2020 to develop a "first-of-its-kind connected and autonomous vehicle (CAV) corridor" in Southeast Michigan.

Since that time, Cavnue has explored the feasibility of developing various CAV corridors, and in conjunction with the Michigan Department of Transportation identified an approximately 25-mile segment of I-94 for its first deployment of infrastructure to support autonomous vehicles.

While autonomous vehicles do already operate in limited capacity in Michigan – think companies like May Mobility out of Ann Arbor – Cavnue's development plan revolves around creating a dedicated lane with the necessary infrastructure in place.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/mobility/cavnue-seeks-rewire-i-94-self-driving-cars

skluth

I have to wonder how separated the self-driving lanes will be. I can't help but think it will be something like this.

Thanks to Michael for the original image.

rte66man

Quote from: skluth on April 27, 2022, 06:04:27 PM
I have to wonder how separated the self-driving lanes will be. I can't help but think it will be something like this.

Thanks. That made my day.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

SEWIGuy

Quote from: rte66man on May 05, 2022, 09:42:04 PM
Quote from: skluth on April 27, 2022, 06:04:27 PM

Thanks. That made my day.

Does the guy who says "Dumbest idea ever" realize he's replying to the Onion?

JoePCool14

Something tells me that focusing on improving I-94 throughout the rest of the state with rebuilds and expansions to 6 lanes might be more useful. Unless they can do something like this in a cost-effective way that also has benefits.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 06, 2022, 08:58:50 AM
Does the guy who says "Dumbest idea ever" realize he's replying to the Onion?

Replying to The Onion with a comment like that is the dumbest idea ever.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.