News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-165 Kentucky (William H. Natcher Green River Parkway)

Started by Grzrd, February 24, 2015, 01:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Captain Jack on May 29, 2019, 07:37:57 PM
I too am surprised the Owensboro mayor didn't push the 2-di Natcher-Audubon plan. Not only did the heavily push the ridiculous I-67 idea, they went as far as pimping a re-route of an already under construction I-69 over the 231 bridge. Not to mention the genius actually went to the Evansville mayor's office to get his support of this re-routing away from Evansville.

Ron Payne got his ass chewed out in that meeting, IIRC.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jnewkirk77

And he didn't run for re-election after that ... I think he'd have lost, and not by a small margin.

jnewkirk77

On our way back from the Smokies this afternoon, I noted that the new permanent signage is going up pretty quickly, starting, of course, at Bowling Green and moving northward. KYTC is apparently staying with Clearview (YUCK!), but oh well.

One thing I don't much care for: KY 80 is omitted from the Russellville Road exit signs.  It needs to be signed, IMHO.

hbelkins

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 11, 2019, 10:41:06 PM
On our way back from the Smokies this afternoon, I noted that the new permanent signage is going up pretty quickly, starting, of course, at Bowling Green and moving northward. KYTC is apparently staying with Clearview (YUCK!), but oh well.

One thing I don't much care for: KY 80 is omitted from the Russellville Road exit signs.  It needs to be signed, IMHO.

KY 80 has not been posted at that exit since I can remember. Not sure why that's the case, especially since the KY 80 corridor (and attendant parkways) has been touted as a fast, modern way across the state's southern tier.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone have any updates on the designating a portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway as Interstate 369?

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 12, 2019, 04:26:05 PM
Does anyone have any updates on the designating a portion of the Western Kentucky Parkway as Interstate 369?

As discussed previously, the Audubon intersects the northern Pennyrile/US 41 extension north of the present official end of the designated I-69; without that direct connection, a spur on the Audubon won't happen (from local reports, the "future I-369" signage present some years back is gone).  Once the Ohio River bridge and its approaches have been finalized, at some point that northernmost Pennyrile segment will get an official designation and the Audubon, with the normal modifications done to KY parkways, might again be proposed for Interstate status, with a number TBD; there's always the possibility that with upgrades to the US 60 Owensboro bypass/connector, the whole thing might actually be I-165. 

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on June 12, 2019, 06:35:57 PM

As discussed previously, the Audubon intersects the northern Pennyrile/US 41 extension north of the present official end of the designated I-69; without that direct connection, a spur on the Audubon won't happen (from local reports, the "future I-369" signage present some years back is gone).  Once the Ohio River bridge and its approaches have been finalized, at some point that northernmost Pennyrile segment will get an official designation and the Audubon, with the normal modifications done to KY parkways, might again be proposed for Interstate status, with a number TBD; there's always the possibility that with upgrades to the US 60 Owensboro bypass/connector, the whole thing might actually be I-165.

I thought that the Audubon already has a direct connection to I-69. From the DEIS, it looks like that will stay the same.

I haven't heard anything since they introduced legislation back in April. Here's the thread for that.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on June 12, 2019, 09:15:58 PM
I thought that the Audubon already has a direct connection to I-69. From the DEIS, it looks like that will stay the same.

The Audubon does have a direct trumpet-type interchange with US 41, but the actual I-69 designation stops south of there, pending an exact location of the approach to the pending Ohio River bridge -- one of the options actually diverged NB from the present US 41 alignment (the extension north of I-69) and crossed the Audubon east of the current interchange.  While it is true that the most likely bridge/approach alignment doesn't follow that routing but continues along the existing facility until north of the Audubon interchange, where it veers to the northeast, that option has yet to be formally selected -- so I-69 still technically ends south of where the southernmost connection point would have been made.  Thus any Interstate designation for the Audubon is premature.   

jnewkirk77

Quote from: sparker on June 12, 2019, 06:35:57 PM

The northernmost stretch of the old Pennyrile has been US 41 for a while now. What was 41 (the older 2-lane portion north of KY 425) is now KY 2084.

Life in Paradise

I-165 signs are now all the way from Bowling Green to Owensboro.  They are indicated on the Owensboro Bypass (US 60) that the road south to Bowling Green is now I-165.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Life in Paradise on June 14, 2019, 02:44:19 PM
I-165 signs are now all the way from Bowling Green to Owensboro.  They are indicated on the Owensboro Bypass (US 60) that the road south to Bowling Green is now I-165.

They're still not quite done. Just for one example, there are no reassurance signs at the Daviess/Ohio and Ohio/Butler county lines in either direction (as there are at the Butler/Warren line), nor any at all southbound, until you get to the 231-Morgantown/Cromwell exit. The permanent signs are still going up, and they're making progress.

Stephane Dumas

Time to bump this thread by mentionning then Google Streetview did an update and the recent Streetview (April 2019) show the BGS with I-165. https://goo.gl/maps/7S2j36oekZdZaMCo7

amroad17

^ Yes, and complete with the "unsigned" designation of the Green River, sorry, William Natcher Parkway.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jnewkirk77

As of Saturday afternoon, about half of the barrels along the 25-mile work zone from south of Hartford to Owensboro have been removed, along with the remaining 55-MPH speed limit signs.  The next time we see any work along here should be when the project to replace the KY 69 interchange gets going, but as far as I know that's not been scheduled yet.

hbelkins

Construction starting on the reconfiguration of the toll booth cloverleaf at US 231 near Bowling Green.

Press release here.

ilpt4u

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2020, 10:02:34 PM
Construction starting on the reconfiguration of the toll booth cloverleaf at US 231 near Bowling Green.

Press release here.
Dumb question: Looking at this Bowtie, and the configuration of that style interchange in general...Why not just conver it to a Folded Diamond, keep two of the loops and build 2 Diamond ramps?

I-55

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 30, 2020, 10:35:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2020, 10:02:34 PM

Press release here.
Dumb question: Looking at this Bowtie, and the configuration of that style interchange in general...Why not just convert it to a Folded Diamond, keep two of the loops and build 2 Diamond ramps?

My guess would be that they didn't want such tight turns on the exit ramps.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Revive 755

^ While I haven't seen a map showing the new diamond configuration, my guess is additional ROW requirements.  While the loops look smaller than some of the other cloverleafs in Kentucky, they don't seem exceptional tight.

hbelkins

Most of those loops were signed, IIRC, for 25 mph. But remember that you were either accelerating from a full stop, or coming to a full stop, to pay toll.

SignGeniusPTOE

It's amazing how KY gets so many little interstate routes such as I-165 that connects little cities like Owensboro and Bowling Green, but Indiana has deathtrap US 30 connecting Fort Wayne and Chicago.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SignGeniusPTOE on April 26, 2022, 03:38:37 PM
It's amazing how KY gets so many little interstate routes such as I-165 that connects little cities like Owensboro and Bowling Green, but Indiana has deathtrap US 30 connecting Fort Wayne and Chicago.

Kentucky built them as tolled parkways. They only got designated as interstates after they were paid off and the tolls went away. You willing to pay tolls for a US 30 freeway?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

I-55

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 26, 2022, 03:40:38 PM

Kentucky built them as tolled parkways. They only got designated as interstates after they were paid off and the tolls went away. You willing to pay tolls for a US 30 freeway?

Honestly I'll take tolls and access control over seeing friends get killed.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: I-55 on April 26, 2022, 03:43:32 PM

Honestly I'll take tolls and access control over seeing friends get killed.

I would too, but I wonder how many more people get killed on US 6 if US 30 were to get tolled.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Kentucky also built them as limited-access freeways that were/are very close to interstate standards. They were not built as surface routes with at-grade intersections. Converting the Kentucky parkways to interstates involves some minor construction projects and putting up signs. Converting US 30 to a full freeway would be very expensive.

jnewkirk77

Construction on the Bowling Green US 231 interchange (Exit 7) wrapped up recently. The Morgantown 231 (Exit 33) and Hartford KY 69 (Exit 47) interchanges are both currently in progress. Morgantown's about half done, with Hartford about 1/4 of the way.  I think the completion date is either late October or early November.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.