News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where was the image taken?

Started by KEK Inc., April 05, 2015, 03:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

I found it on Wikipedia, and I'm curious where it is.  It could be in Washington or Oregon in 1973.
Take the road less traveled.

hotdogPi

For those that cannot see the details of the newspaper, the date of the newspaper is November 18, 1973  (or within a few days; the "8" is unclear). November 10, 1973.

Another thing of note: The road seems to be an expressway that is approaching an intersection.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NE2

The image page implies Washington...
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Speed_limit_50_1973.jpg

Highway Sign Along Interstate #5 Shows the 50 Mile an Hour Limit Imposed by Officials in That State as Well as Oregon before a Federal Order Asked Motorists Throughout the Nation to Slow Down 11/1973
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TEG24601

I have seen this image before and it is always quoted as being Portland near what is now the Moda Center.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Bickendan

Quote from: TEG24601 on April 05, 2015, 05:54:01 PM
I have seen this image before and it is always quoted as being Portland near what is now the Moda Center.
That was my initial guess, as it looks like it could be N Broadway over I-5, but the Williams, Vancouver and Flint Ave overpasses are missing. Someone get me a date when they were built over I-5 if not when the freeway was built?

kkt

It doesn't look like the Broadway bridge very much.  The Broadway bridge has a series of circular columns along the median supporting it; the bridge in the photo has a solid wall.  The bridge in the photo looks narrower, like a 2-lane road or a railroad.  Broadway looks wider.  After I-5 crosses under Broadway in the distance it continues straight looking northbound or curves right looking southbound; the photo is curving left.  The photo has mountains in the distant background, streetview shows none.

Maybe the bridge has been rebuilt, but I'm not sure what would account for the change in direction of the curve.

bigpine320

As the Oregonian Newspaper reported back in 1973.  Washington state decided all state/county highways.  Were to be posted at 50 MPH.  Instead of the Federal requirement of 55 MPH.

This picture was taken in Vancouver, Washington.  The overpass is Broadway St over I-5.  It was the very first exit (with SR 14 to the east) off the Interstate Bridge going Northbound.

Broadway St used to signed as Business Route 5 though downtown Vancouver.  The overpass (constructed in the 1950's) no longer existed.  It was replace in early 1980's.  As part of the Freeway widen project at the time. 

By late 1982 The Glenn Jackson Bridge (I-205) was opened to traffic.  The Northbound Interstate bridge is approaching 100 years old.  And is by far the oldest structure on the Interstate highway system.

In the very faint distance of the picture.  Was the old Washington State visitor information center.  Located near the Evergreen St overpass.  The center was opened in the 1950's after I-5 was completed.

Getting in and out of information center was a challenge of it's own.  When exiting off I-5 you had slow down almost immediately in the small parking lot. 

Then when you were ready to leave.  You had to wait at a stop sign.  Just to merge back in to I-5 north traffic.  There was no acceleration lane to speak of.  On any part of I-5 though Vancouver.

This visitor's center was torn down in the late 70's.  As part of the Mill Plain/Fourth Plain interchange work project.

KEK Inc.

Aha!  Thanks!  From the image you posted, I was able to find a couple of other pictures that corroborated with your deduction. 

It seems like the abutment and curve matches.  Interesting.  I lived in Vancouver for a few years, and I learned something new. 
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.