AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Ohio  (Read 43414 times)

Harvestman

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 07:14:20 PM
Re: Ohio
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »

Found these at a bar in Cincinnati.  The "exit 13" sign must be an I-75 relic but I'm unsure on where the others came from.

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 11:17:11 AM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2021, 07:11:44 PM »

These signs are mostly from Interstate 75's Exit 13 which is for Shepherd Lane in Lincoln Heights. Work wrapped up... this year? The generic exit signs could have been from the Newmann Way split or from any of the slip ramps in that area (https://goo.gl/maps/bk4qatcAApZqWapn9).

What bar was that? Northside Yacht Club?

Harvestman

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 07:14:20 PM
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2021, 08:40:39 PM »

That's the one.  Not going to ask how those signs found their way there...

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:12 PM
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2021, 08:47:39 PM »

Wherever (and whenever) ODOT sells old signs, let me know. I would want one for myself :sombrero:
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2021, 09:13:52 PM »

That's the one.  Not going to ask how those signs found their way there...

Could have been discarded by the wayside but they are very heavy and larger than most would expect. I know folks have asked for signs before and received them at scrap value.

That bar was my old stomping grounds (under a different name). Lived right up the street - recognized the scenes!

GCrites80s

• Last Login: May 18, 2022, 04:12:17 PM
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2021, 09:50:03 PM »

Are they aluminum?

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »

I would suspect so.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 10:57:03 AM
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2021, 09:56:26 AM »

Was I-75 originally four lanes where the Arlington Heights  neighborhood sits in the middle of the split freeway?  I was often wondering why the freeway splits there like I-24 in Monteagle Grade.  However that was done later as the WB freeway there was built from expansion of a four lane US 41 & 64 with EB being built for trucker safety years later.

I assume one carriage way predates the other one and no ROW to expand.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:12 PM
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2021, 10:15:12 AM »

Was I-75 originally four lanes where the Arlington Heights  neighborhood sits in the middle of the split freeway?  I was often wondering why the freeway splits there like I-24 in Monteagle Grade.  However that was done later as the WB freeway there was built from expansion of a four lane US 41 & 64 with EB being built for trucker safety years later.

There is a plan to remove that split. I mentioned it 2 months ago in the other Ohio thread:
I was digging through some ODOT files today, and found that there was a recent (from a year ago) alternative study for the NB I-75 alignment between the OH 126 (exit 10) and Shepherd (exit 13) interchanges. This alternative study would relocate NB I-75 to where the current SB alignment is, and remove the existing NB alignment, while still widening both directions to 4 lanes each. It would also include a new NB exit as a split diamond to Lock Street and Wyoming Ave. The SB side may also have this split diamond, though itís more difficult with development nearby, and a new interchange to Millsdale to the south of the current interchange may be considered instead. Regardless, the current substandard SB interchange to Cooper Ave is planned to be removed. The decision on whether to use this alternative alignment or keep the current alignment with the split will be made in November of this year. Apparently, it's cheaper than keeping NB I-75 where it currently is, and widening it, and will make the geometry of the planned WB 126 to NB 75 ramp more smooth.

Link the the study: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Alternate%20Feasibility%20Report%20(July%202020).pdf
Small update from the above: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Study%20Update%20(April%202021).pdf
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

frankenroad

• Last Login: May 17, 2022, 02:50:44 PM
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »

That is correct.  What today are three southbound lanes, used to be two southbound and two northbound lanes, dating  back to the late 1940s or early 50s.  When lanes were added in 1967, the current northbound lanes were built where they are due to ROW availability.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2022, 09:49:53 PM »

h/t Mark Phillips for the link

Chesapeake Bypass Phase 2 Virtual Public Open House

Map: https://www.publicinput.com/Customer/File/Full/3a17350a-b6a4-4349-86ea-668529c3673b

The Chesapeake Bypass project has been ongoing for twenty years. The ultimate plan for the Chesapeake Bypass project is a 4-lane, limited access highway between SR 527/SR 7 in Chesapeake and existing SR 7 in Rome Township. Right-of-way (R/W) plans have been completed and property acquisition is underway. Due to limited funding,  construction is being completed in phases:

- Phase 1: This phase included construction of a new 4.7-mile, 2-lane limited access highway from SR 775 in Proctorville to existing SR 7 in Rome Township, as well as a connection between the 31st Street Bridge (East Huntington Bridge) and existing 775 in Proctorville.

- Phase 2: This phase involves construction of the western half of the Chesapeake Bypass, which extends 5.2 miles between the SR 527/SR 7 interchange in Chesapeake east to SR 775 in Proctorville. Phase 2 includes construction of a 2-lane, limited access highway, with some 4-lane sections and truck climbing lanes. In addition, a full interchange will be constructed at SR 775. Once funding becomes available, Phase 2 will be constructed in two subphases:

- Phase 2A: This phase includes tree clearing, and construction of earthwork and drainage. This phase is scheduled to begin in 2024 and end in 2025, dependent on funding.

- Phase 2B: This phase includes construction of bridges and roadway pavement. This phase is scheduled to begin in 2028 and end in 2030, dependent on funding. There will be at least 3 years between Phases 2A and 2B to allow for soil settlement.

The construction of the remaining portions of the 4-lane Chesapeake Bypass will occur in phases:

- Phase 3: This phase includes construction of the remaining westbound lanes and completion of the 4-lane highway between the SR 527/SR 7 interchange in Chesapeake east to SR 775 in Proctorville.

- Phase 4: This phase includes construction of two westbound lanes for the length of Phase 1B between SR 775 in Proctorville east to existing SR 7 in Rome Township.
Funding has not been committed for Phases 3 & 4.

--

"There will be at least 3 years between Phases 2A and 2B to allow for soil settlement."

- This is interesting. It will be different than the fast-tracked Portsmouth bypass which has experienced a lot of settling issues throughout its entire length, and much of US 35 through West Virginia, which is nicknamed the "Bump and Dip Freeway" for obvious reasons. I know that I-69 has surcharge dumped on settling segments, and I assume the same will be done for SR 7.

- I didn't anticipate on so many hills requiring truck climbing lanes on the two-lane segments, but it's good that it's being built on it considering that it could be another 20-30 years before the entire route is four-laned.

- The roundabout at SR 243 looks to be temporary. When it's four-laned, I wonder if it will just be a t-intersection?

Tom958

• Last Login: Today at 05:37:42 AM
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2022, 07:40:55 PM »

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2022, 09:53:04 AM »

ODOT is adding exit numbers to US 52. I spotted a "Exit 152" exit panel for the Jesse Stuart Bridge exit near Franklin Furnace, but no exit tabs on the signs yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.