News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

These signs are mostly from Interstate 75's Exit 13 which is for Shepherd Lane in Lincoln Heights. Work wrapped up... this year? The generic exit signs could have been from the Newmann Way split or from any of the slip ramps in that area (https://goo.gl/maps/bk4qatcAApZqWapn9).

What bar was that? Northside Yacht Club?

Harvestman

Quote from: seicer on August 25, 2021, 07:11:44 PM
That's the one.  Not going to ask how those signs found their way there...

SkyPesos

Wherever (and whenever) ODOT sells old signs, let me know. I would want one for myself :sombrero:

seicer

Quote from: Harvestman on August 25, 2021, 08:40:39 PM
Quote from: seicer on August 25, 2021, 07:11:44 PM
That's the one.  Not going to ask how those signs found their way there...

Could have been discarded by the wayside but they are very heavy and larger than most would expect. I know folks have asked for signs before and received them at scrap value.

That bar was my old stomping grounds (under a different name). Lived right up the street - recognized the scenes!

GCrites

Are they aluminum?

seicer

I would suspect so.

Buck87

On I-90/OH 2 in Sheffield there is a pair of bridges over a railroad track being worked on between OH 611 and OH 254. These will be the last pair of bridges to be redone between OH 611 and the I-90/OH 2 split in Elyria. All the others were made wide enough to be able to accommodate 3 lanes (and are currently carrying 2), so I would assume this pair will as well.

Now that the final pair of bridges are being made wide enough, I wonder how long it will be before the 6 laning of I-90 is extended further west from where it currently ends at OH 611 to the OH 2 split.

TempoNick

Quote from: Bitmapped on August 11, 2021, 09:27:47 AM

ODOT gave SR 32 its number to bring consistency to the corridor. Originally, it was SR 32 (SR 74 prior to Interstate renumbering), briefly SR 772 (?), then SR 124, SR 346, and US 50 to the West Virginia line. The SR 32 designation was eventually extended east overlapping SR 124 and replacing SR 346, and then later SR 32 was also multiplexed with US 50 east of Athens to provide a consistent designation for the corridor.

I agree that the numbering on the Columbus-to-Newark corridor is confusing. At the very least, ODOT should extend SR 161 east to meet SR 16. I could see maybe replacing SR 16 with SR 161 east to Coshocton but I don't know there is an appetite for that renumbering. You still have the corridor east of there continuing as US 36, US 250, and US 22 over to Steubenville, and I don't see a state route getting extended over that.

Numbered routes don't have a lot of relevance through big cities these days along surface roads. They are only relevant to and from those cities and on highways. 161 should terminate at I-270 and the road that continues should be called Ohio 16 until it hits U.S. 36 at Coshocton or maybe even multiplex it with U.S. 36 until it hits I-77. Now that's a route worthy of having such a prime number as 16. Besides, aren't people trying to make this into an alternate route into Pittsburgh? I can see Ohio 16 all the way to Steubenville.

Who cares what Broad Street is called. Call it 16S or 816 until it hits Granville.

Since we are renumbering everything, US-33 is also irrelevant inside I-270. It should be routed along 315, 104 and 270 between the Southeast side and Dublin, but multiplexed because within the city having the different numbers (104 and 315) helps you figure out where there are traffic tie-ups.

SkyPesos

^ Columbus could pull an Indianapolis and route every number that's not I-70 and I-71 around I-270 if they wanted to  :spin:

TempoNick

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 14, 2021, 01:05:41 AM
^ Columbus could pull an Indianapolis and route every number that's not I-70 and I-71 around I-270 if they wanted to  :spin:

Exactly what I was thinking, except they'd have to leave the freeways alone (US 33, Ohio 104, Ohio 161, Ohio 315). Just get rid of numbers on surface roads or give them some irrelevant number like Ohio 816 for Ohio 16). Just put up a US Shield around I-270 that says "ALL" and then the specific route number where you have to exit. I don't think it works with Ohio routes, but the US Routes could be simplified in this way.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: TempoNick on September 14, 2021, 01:17:44 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, except they'd have to leave the freeways alone (US 33, Ohio 104, Ohio 161, Ohio 315). Just get rid of numbers on surface roads or give them some irrelevant number like Ohio 816 for Ohio 16). Just put up a US Shield around I-270 that says "ALL" and then the specific route number where you have to exit. I don't think it works with Ohio routes, but the US Routes could be simplified in this way.

Won't happen. ODOT funds the various cities for road care on the numbered routes. Those numbers mean the local officials can shift blame for any problem with them to the state.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

skluth

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 16, 2021, 02:14:02 AM

Won't happen. ODOT funds the various cities for road care on the numbered routes. Those numbers mean the local officials can shift blame for any problem with them to the state.

Could be worse. I live in California where there may be a highway on the map but signs that you are on the highway are nonexistent within any incorporated community.

GCrites

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 16, 2021, 02:14:02 AM

Some of these small towns couldn't afford to maintain their through streets without the state funds. If you see a state route end at the edge of a town there's your answer. There's no real reason other than that for OH-316 to enter Ashville on West Main St., hang a left on Long St. then end at OH-752 on the north edge of town.

Great Lakes Roads

Can someone explain to me the exit numbers on US 68 from I-70 to the County Line Road? I thought that they were doing exit numbers from the mile marker.

Here are the exit numbers from south to north:
Exit 5A-B: I-70 (Columbus, Dayton)
Exit 7A-B: US 40/OH State Route 4 (Springfield, Dayton)
Exit 8: OH State Route 41 (Troy, Springfield)
Exit 12: OH State Route 334 East (River Road, Springfield)
Exit 15: County Line Road

Bitmapped

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 17, 2021, 04:43:10 PM
Can someone explain to me the exit numbers on US 68 from I-70 to the County Line Road? I thought that they were doing exit numbers from the mile marker.

For non-Interstates, originally numbered them based on county mileage rather than statewide.

6a

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 17, 2021, 07:06:21 PM

For non-Interstates, originally numbered them based on county mileage rather than statewide.
I've asked this same question. Elsewhere, the exit numbers match up with the mileage within the state. Here, it's only within the county.

Bitmapped

Quote from: 6a on September 18, 2021, 04:48:21 AM

I've asked this same question. Elsewhere, the exit numbers match up with the mileage within the state. Here, it's only within the county.
Newer projects number things statewide. County-based numbers are generally getting replaced with state-based ones as part of larger sign replacement projects.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 18, 2021, 11:52:08 AM

Newer projects number things statewide. County-based numbers are generally getting replaced with state-based ones as part of larger sign replacement projects.
US 68's exit numbers in Springfield are new. The August 2019 GSV doesn't have exit numbers on US 68, while the August 2021 GSV does. This is why some of us are questioning the use of county based exit numbers here, as recent non-interstate expressways and freeways had state based exit numbers added on.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 18, 2021, 11:59:30 AM
Quote from: Bitmapped on September 18, 2021, 11:52:08 AM

US 68's exit numbers in Springfield are new. The August 2019 GSV doesn't have exit numbers on US 68, while the August 2021 GSV does. This is why some of us are questioning the use of county based exit numbers here, as recent non-interstate expressways and freeways had state based exit numbers added on.
Oh, and OH State Route 4 also has new exit numbers west of Springfield... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8960537,-83.9321776,3a,75y,226.15h,81.74t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQzbnFbuIHjIjl7UB37uJcg!2e0!5s20210801T000000!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9071633,-83.9094401,3a,75y,44.49h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKbaW1M1LqP005Yzu8mlI-w!2e0!5s20210801T000000!7i16384!8i8192

SkyPesos

Probably a quirk with District 7 then. Note that both OH 4 and US 35 in Dayton doesn't have exit numbers yet, while if it was in literally any other ODOT district, it would've got exit numbers by now. Wouldn't be surprised to see county based mileage ones go up in the next few months for those two freeways too.

SkyPesos

I was digging through some ODOT files today, and found that there was a recent (from a year ago) alternative study for the NB I-75 alignment between the OH 126 (exit 10) and Shepherd (exit 13) interchanges. This alternative study would relocate NB I-75 to where the current SB alignment is, and remove the existing NB alignment, while still widening both directions to 4 lanes each. It would also include a new NB exit as a split diamond to Lock Street and Wyoming Ave. The SB side may also have this split diamond, though it's more difficult with development nearby, and a new interchange to Millsdale to the south of the current interchange may be considered instead. Regardless, the current substandard SB interchange to Cooper Ave is planned to be removed. The decision on whether to use this alternative alignment or keep the current alignment with the split will be made in November of this year. Apparently, it's cheaper than keeping NB I-75 where it currently is, and widening it, and will make the geometry of the planned WB 126 to NB 75 ramp more smooth.

Link the the study: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Alternate%20Feasibility%20Report%20(July%202020).pdf
Small update from the above: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Study%20Update%20(April%202021).pdf

seicer

Interesting. Now that the abandoned Stearns & Foster factory (which was located alongside the canal that later became southbound I-75) is demolished, it should make that project far easier.

I never realized that the transmission towers along northbound I-75 were a major reason as to why that alignment may not be considered as part of the Thru the Valley project. Relocating the lines would require a lot of demolitions and two years - at a large expense.

josh79905

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 18, 2021, 03:11:52 PM
Probably a quirk with District 7 then. Note that both OH 4 and US 35 in Dayton doesn't have exit numbers yet, while if it was in literally any other ODOT district, it would've got exit numbers by now. Wouldn't be surprised to see county based mileage ones go up in the next few months for those two freeways too.

It's not just District 7.  SR 11's exit numbering ends at the Columbiana/Mahoning County line, which are in different districts.  I actually asked someone at ODOT District 11 (where Columbiana county is in) about that a few years ago and they said it would change when the signs get replaced.  Well, the signs were replaced, but still no exit numbers. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: seicer on September 20, 2021, 09:29:13 AM
Interesting. Now that the abandoned Stearns & Foster factory (which was located alongside the canal that later became southbound I-75) is demolished, it should make that project far easier.

I never realized that the transmission towers along northbound I-75 were a major reason as to why that alignment may not be considered as part of the Thru the Valley project. Relocating the lines would require a lot of demolitions and two years - at a large expense.
Not sure if it was mentioned in that pdf, but that section with the transmission towers nearby is also on a viaduct, which obviously is more difficult to widen than a highway at ground level. Looking at GSV, yea, this is not a good place to widen a highway

I would definitely prefer the alternative of moving the NB lanes to the SB side over keeping it as is based on the conditions, but a side of me is sad to potentially see one of the widest medians in a urban area be gone. Now we'll wait for the decision...

frankenroad

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 21, 2021, 10:24:51 PM
Quote from: seicer on September 20, 2021, 09:29:13 AM

Not sure if it was mentioned in that pdf, but that section with the transmission towers nearby is also on a viaduct, which obviously is more difficult to widen than a highway at ground level. Looking at GSV, yea, this is not a good place to widen a highway

I would definitely prefer the alternative of moving the NB lanes to the SB side over keeping it as is based on the conditions, but a side of me is sad to potentially see one of the widest medians in a urban area be gone. Now we'll wait for the decision...

I went and looked at the plans after seeing the reference above, and I agree that moving the NB lanes back next to the SB lanes seems like the best alternative.   Part of me will be sad when the current NB lanes are removed, as my Dad and I would frequently go to Lockland/Reading to watch them get built.  IIRC, it took about 2 years (65-67) and I remember being surprised how quickly they opened after the work began.   Of course, I was only 11 so my understanding of project timelines was little to none!  This will be the second construction project I remember watching with my Dad that will be destroyed (the first was a medical arts building).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.