Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Corridor H

<< < (264/266) > >>

bluecountry:

--- Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 02, 2021, 03:18:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: hbelkins on July 31, 2021, 09:33:52 PM ---On my family's vacation to DC in the early 1980s, we used the northern route. I don't think the four-lane was finished past Cumberland, but it still wasn't a bad route even then.

--- End quote ---

You are correct.  From Cumberland west, the road looked much like it does today.

But Hancock to east of Sideling Hill had some pretty rough spots, especially the switchback at the top of Sideling Hill and between Rocky Gap and Flintstone.  There was also an isolated and short freeway segment on what is now I-68 that included the interchange at Exit 64 (Orleans Road).

--- End quote ---

So I have this map https://raisedrelief.com/products/cumberland-usgs-regional-3d-map, what portions of it on the I-68 and US 48 corridors are accurate?

Bitmapped:
The original signage installed on the US 219 portion of Corridor H between Elkins and Kerens had an empty steel post at each set of reassurance markers to accommodate signs for another route. I assumed this was done in preparation for US 48 eventually to be extended over the highway.

I found some plans for this section of road from the 1990s at https://www.bidx.com/wv/attachment?filekey=6c8e3451-c479-11eb-a0d8-aa18e2af2746/files/a3f44ec5-c47a-11eb-a622-b2cce3f6d0f8.pdf&drive=1. It appears the plan was originally to move WV 55 onto this route, having Elkins-Kerens signed as US 33 and WV 55. It appears the second set of posts were intended for WV 55 markers.

seicer:
Where would US 33 have connected to? It would have required a reroute in VA.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: seicer on November 03, 2021, 11:11:12 AM ---Where would US 33 have connected to? It would have required a reroute in VA.

--- End quote ---

I think US 33 was supposed to have gone to around Harrisonburg, but keep in mind Elkins-Kerens was designed and built after the US 33 alignment east of Elkins had already been cancelled.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on November 03, 2021, 12:01:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: seicer on November 03, 2021, 11:11:12 AM ---Where would US 33 have connected to? It would have required a reroute in VA.

--- End quote ---

I think US 33 was supposed to have gone to around Harrisonburg, but keep in mind Elkins-Kerens was designed and built after the US 33 alignment east of Elkins had already been cancelled.

--- End quote ---

Yes, and I've seen maps (WVDOT official) with a proposed routing of US 33 that indicated as such.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version