AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Another New Freeway Entrance Sign in Portland, OR  (Read 5404 times)

OrionV

• Last Login: February 11, 2024, 08:56:42 PM
Another New Freeway Entrance Sign in Portland, OR
« on: April 08, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »

This is what finally motivated me to create an account here after lurking for several months.

While exploring around with Google Street View, I discovered another California-style "Freeway Entrance sign" has appeared in Portland, OR, specifically at the onramp to I-5 northbound from Jantzen Beach (the last onramp before crossing into Washington.) It is also accompanied by a "Peds/Bicycles Prohibited" sign like those used standard across the river by WSDOT, giving the impression that WSDOT snuck across the river to post it (although the Freeway Entrance sign looks like a California-spec one). https://goo.gl/maps/FhHm97pbEtm

TheArkansasRoadgeek

• The Dude

• Last Login: May 13, 2021, 08:47:30 PM
Re: Another New Freeway Entrance Sign in Portland, OR
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »

This is what finally motivated me to create an account here after lurking for several months.

While exploring around with Google Street View, I discovered another California-style "Freeway Entrance sign" has appeared in Portland, OR, specifically at the onramp to I-5 northbound from Jantzen Beach (the last onramp before crossing into Washington.) It is also accompanied by a "Peds/Bicycles Prohibited" sign like those used standard across the river by WSDOT, giving the impression that WSDOT snuck across the river to post it (although the Freeway Entrance sign looks like a California-spec one). https://goo.gl/maps/FhHm97pbEtm
What an interesting relationship those three states have with each other...

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:03:54 AM »

What an interesting relationship those three states have with each other...

iPhone

The cross-pollination of signage wouldn't be at all surprising; because of the sales-tax differential (WA has it, OR does not) there's a lot of WA residents, particularly from the Vancouver-Camas area, that haul themselves across the river to purchase big-ticket items (appliances, clothing, etc.) in order to save the 7-8% applied in home territory.  Much of that ends up in the Jantzen Beach mall simply because it doesn't requiring schlepping into central PDX.  Supplying WA-standard signage to ODOT for an exit dominated by WA drivers is probably just a cooperative "tip of the hat" from one state agency to the other, saving ODOT the signage cost (although they probably install the signs themselves).  There's some synergy going on here -- OR gets the additional business (and collects taxes on the "back end" from the retailers), while southern WA gets the larger share of regional housing development because of the PDX Metro growth limits (which decidedly do not extend over the river).   

JasonOfORoads

• Last Login: January 17, 2024, 09:58:56 PM
    • ORoads: The Roads of Oregon
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »

Most of the Freeway Entrance signs I've seen in the Portland area have actually been put up by PBOT.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

sp_redelectric

• Last Login: October 22, 2022, 12:07:17 AM
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 01:47:52 AM »

Most of the Freeway Entrance signs I've seen in the Portland area have actually been put up by PBOT.

I'd concur, and they aren't a MUTCD style sign (at least they don't look like WSDOT or CalTrans spec) but a custom sign.  The character spacing looks odd, the spacing between the words looks huge...it's just...weird.

The signs ODOT are posting along I-5, in and south of Salem, appear to be more of a CalTrans spec sign.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 03:10:11 AM »

The signs ODOT are posting along I-5, in and south of Salem, appear to be more of a CalTrans spec sign.

The California-spec part is more of the use of shields with down-pointing arrows, which has actually become more common in WA (although not widespread):

The not-so-California part is the use of regular Series D (like WSDOT). Caltrans uses Series D-Modified for the entrance signs, I believe.

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »

(although the Freeway Entrance sign looks like a California-spec one). https://goo.gl/maps/FhHm97pbEtm

Actually, the actual freeway entrance sign looks more like it's fabricated to MUTCD specs than California's. California's standard sign is typically bigger (wider margins and letter spacing) and, as mentioned, may use D modified font.

California example: https://goo.gl/maps/Ua1aHrHjGrF2
MUTCD example from Nevada: https://goo.gl/maps/NWdX9sE6jus
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »

To hell with the freeway entrance sign. I'm just fascinated with the interchange itself.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:27 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »

To hell with the freeway entrance sign. I'm just fascinated with the interchange itself.

The paperclip interchange just to the south is brilliant, and a one-off IIRC.

sp_redelectric

• Last Login: October 22, 2022, 12:07:17 AM
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 11:49:24 PM »

I'm just fascinated with the interchange itself.

It is an absolutely miserable on-ramp with zero acceleration lane onto the Interstate Bridge, and single-handedly causes quite a bit of backups especially during rush hour.  So you get to go around the 25 MPH curve, to somehow accelerate to 50, in just a couple hundred feet.

Hurricane Rex

• Speed 75 or bust. Keep on traveling.

• Location: Sherwood Oregon (Dec, Jun-Sep), Corvallis, Oregon (Oct, Nov, Jan-May)
  • Last Login: July 30, 2023, 12:18:15 AM
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:49 AM »

I'm just fascinated with the interchange itself.

It is an absolutely miserable on-ramp with zero acceleration lane onto the Interstate Bridge, and single-handedly causes quite a bit of backups especially during rush hour.  So you get to go around the 25 MPH curve, to somehow accelerate to 50, in just a couple hundred feet.
If the designers were smarter, they would've gotten rid of the Hayden Island exit and replaced it with a local bridge.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.