News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Southern Beltway - PA Tpk 576

Started by CanesFan27, January 26, 2010, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

It worked that time. Don't know why it didn't beforehand.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2012, 07:50:28 PM

Might be a problem with the DNS servers @ your Internet provider.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 31, 2012, 08:50:09 PM

Well, HughesNet satellite internet does blow goats.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on December 31, 2012, 10:53:15 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 31, 2012, 08:50:09 PM

Well, HughesNet satellite internet does blow goats.
They based in Alanland?

Mr_Northside

Funding uncertainty delays action on Southern Beltway

[sarcasm]Well... I know I'm totally surprised to read this.  Completely shocked.[/sarcasm]

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Tom958

Quote from: CanesFan27 on December 31, 2012, 08:27:00 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2012, 03:27:33 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on December 30, 2012, 12:11:05 AMI'm not a fan of the 576/US22 interchange, though. I understand a cloverleaf would be tough (the hillside that is prohibitive), and direct ramps were probably very costly (especially if built to handle further expansion). But, I'm not a fan of a freeway interchanging a freeway with cross traffic. Even if separated from the main roadways.

Isn't that some variation of a "volleyball" interchange?

Currently, it's a half volleyball as a result of the highway dead ending there.  It will be a full voleyball oncethe new toll road is completed.

Gravedig!

I wish they done a British style roundabout interchange instead. Not that it'd actually be a good idea-- it'd just be more fun.   :rolleyes:

The last time I was in NC, I drove the one at Green 85 and I-74, southbound to eastbound, and of course I hit all three traffic lights despite the light traffic. With a roundabout there, I wouldn't have had to stop.

Presumably the one in NC was built because of the proximity to other interchanges, but I don't see any nearby interchanges at 576/22. They did it just  to save money, then?

Mr_Northside

Turnpike Commission awards two Southern Beltway contracts

Looks like they'll be some work going on this construction season. 
Though I was hoping for a more informative article.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

DeaconG

So when are they going to finish work on the mainline? Never?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ARMOURERERIC

IIRC, last years aborted effort to resume work had them starting the mainline with the long bridge over the volleyball not beginning until 14 months after that, they were for an interim period going to have thru traffic use the volleyball ramps for a good 18 months before the bridge would be complete.  Now the plan appears to begin the mainline bridge first.

ARMOURERERIC

There is a brisk discussion on City Data by those now making plans to move to Stubenville and Weirton to escape high PA property taxes but still keep their jobs at Southpointe stating that the expected 35 min commute from Weirton will be less than the drive from the city.

JoeP

it's hardly worth it to make such a move.

Mr_Northside

Turnpike commission: Southern Beltway takes priority over Mon/Fayette plans

The fact that they can't afford more Mon-Fayette sections probably has a lot to do with this.

Alps

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 10, 2014, 04:52:53 PM
Turnpike commission: Southern Beltway takes priority over Mon/Fayette plans

The fact that they can't afford more Mon-Fayette sections probably has a lot to do with this.
How about the fact that traffic is heading toward Pittsburgh and not Monroeville? Honestly, from the end of 43 to Monroeville ought to be part of 576 anyway. Complete the beltway, and these guys will stop complaining.

ARMOURERERIC

I noted that the PTC website has separated it's Mon-Fayette/SoBeltway page into Finished and Under construction sections, I would figure in anticipation of being an active site to keep us informed on 22 to 79.  Wish there was a way to have the So Beltway go due east to the Irwin/ Pa Turnpike exit, then make the city section of 51 a true parkway.

Gnutella

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 11, 2014, 10:45:43 PM
I noted that the PTC website has separated it's Mon-Fayette/SoBeltway page into Finished and Under construction sections, I would figure in anticipation of being an active site to keep us informed on 22 to 79.  Wish there was a way to have the So Beltway go due east to the Irwin/ Pa Turnpike exit, then make the city section of 51 a true parkway.

I've thought about that too, but considering the Monroeville segment of the Mon-Fayette Expressway will intersect U.S. 30 in North Versailles, creating a segment to the Turnpike in North Huntingdon might be redundant. People from Westmoreland County can just use U.S. 30 to get to the Mon-Fayette Expressway.

I do believe that the Mon-Fayette Expressway needs to connect to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but I think it's better off doing so by extending north of the Parkway East. Currently, they've designed the northern terminus of the Mon-Fayette Expressway at the Parkway East, which means that eastbound Turnpike traffic that wanted to access the Mon-Fayette Expressway would have to use the Parkway East, creating an extra movement. There's very little development along Thompson Run north of the Parkway East, so creating a direct interchange between the Mon-Fayette Expressway and the Turnpike in Plum should be relatively easy. (About a dozen houses or so near the Turnpike would have to be acquired.)

Gnutella

Construction is now underway between U.S. 22 and I-79.

Overall, I'm undecided about this project. On one hand, I echo Jake Haulk's opinion that widening the Parkways East and West is much more necessary. On the other hand, the South Beltway would improve the piss-poor east/west mobility across Pittsburgh's southern suburbs. Also, this project is the domain of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, whereas the Parkways East and West are the domain of PennDOT, so widening the Parkways East and West would be PennDOT's responsibility.

Henry

We'll see five years from now, when the Southern Beltway is expected to be completed to I-79.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ARMOURERERIC

If you go to the PennDOT District 11 page, there is a press release involving multiple public hearings for a major investment study for the Parkway east.  I read the above link and if the ADT figures for the Parkway east are true, and I doubt they are, that would make the ADT similar to 1980 levels.

Gnutella

Quote from: Henry on May 14, 2014, 03:34:31 PM
We'll see five years from now, when the Southern Beltway is expected to be completed to I-79.

I think it'd be better to judge the project when it's built all the way to the Mon-Fayette Expressway. That'd be when it's most useful for people trying to travel east or west across the southern suburbs. All the segment from U.S. 22 to I-79 would do is enhance Southpointe, and open up land near there and the airport to commercial and light industrial use.

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 14, 2014, 06:50:41 PM
If you go to the PennDOT District 11 page, there is a press release involving multiple public hearings for a major investment study for the Parkway east.  I read the above link and if the ADT figures for the Parkway east are true, and I doubt they are, that would make the ADT similar to 1980 levels.

Are you saying that the average daily traffic volumes are higher than what the article says? I remember the Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission stating in a multimodal transportation study from 2002 that the Parkway West carries more than double the amount of traffic that it was designed for.

ARMOURERERIC

I am saying I lived in Pittsburgh around 1981 when they did the big rebuild, at that time the claimed ADT was 80,000.  The linked news article says the PWE has a 73K ADT now, I was surprised by that.

Gnutella

I bet the segment of the South Beltway between Pittsburgh International Airport and I-79 will soon become "energy alley" due to the cluster of energy companies in Southpointe. This is one of many reasons why I believe that most of the population and economic growth in the Pittsburgh suburbs in the coming decades will occur west of the city, from Cranberry to Cecil.

JawnwoodS96

Nice pics Hoss; I love the burgundy beams the PTC is using for this segment.

Quote from: Gnutella on November 06, 2014, 02:51:59 PM
I bet the segment of the South Beltway between Pittsburgh International Airport and I-79 will soon become "energy alley" due to the cluster of energy companies in Southpointe. This is one of many reasons why I believe that most of the population and economic growth in the Pittsburgh suburbs in the coming decades will occur west of the city, from Cranberry to Cecil.
There sure is a lot of green space along that stretch of I-79. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get developed in a timely fashion.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Gnutella on November 06, 2014, 02:51:59 PM

It's seemed consistently this way over the 18 years I've been periodically visiting Pittsburgh–growing suburbs on the west, abandoning them to the east.  Terribly inefficient. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.