News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Southern Beltway - PA Tpk 576

Started by CanesFan27, January 26, 2010, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qguy

Quote from: JawnwoodS96 on November 06, 2014, 09:21:41 PM
Nice pics Hoss; I love the burgundy beams the PTC is using for this segment.

That's not burgundy. They're unpainted, pre-oxidized steel. IOW, the beams are rust-colored.

JawnwoodS96

Quote from: qguy on November 07, 2014, 08:48:25 AMThat's not burgundy. They're unpainted, pre-oxidized steel. IOW, the beams are rust-colored.
Hmm, I see; it's still more aesthetically pleasing than many other beams, in my opinion.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on November 06, 2014, 09:45:43 PM

It's seemed consistently this way over the 18 years I've been periodically visiting Pittsburgh– growing suburbs on the west, abandoning them to the east.  Terribly inefficient. 
There are still some suburbs growing in the east (Most notably North Huntingdon and Murrysville), but in general people are trending toward the west. Not too certain why this is; while there are some bad areas out east (Penn Hills) there are many places that are still quite fine (Monroeville and Plum).
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

Mr_Northside

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151002/NEWS01/151009861

The article itself is a bit older now - from last October 2nd- but it has the only aerial view of the new bridges over 22 that I've seen so far (since the PTC doesn't have any of that good stuff on their site for this project)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ARMOURERERIC

Have they even awarded the contract for the rest of the segment?

Mr_Northside

I guess it consists of multiple contracts - The article mentioned that "one of the last" ones was awarded.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

Progress being made in Southern Beltway construction

An article from today with some information, and a photo of 576/22 from a different angle.

ARMOURERERIC

How is the above link for videos and junk, I really want to read it but I am tired of 200MB thumbnails of Penn State BB games that seem to always be on the PGH trib on line links.

Mr_Northside

I'm not sure... I have a lot of stuff blocked by browser plug-ins.

Henry

It looks like the target completion date of 2019 will be reached for the part that will take the road to I-79. East of there, we'll see what happens to it, since the Mon-Fayette Expressway will not serve downtown Pittsburgh as originally planned, and major NIMBYism exists in those parts anyway.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

I think the 576 designation should end where the Southern Beltway and Mon-Fayette Expressway will intersect, and the two routes should not be co-designated from that point to the Mon-Fayette's proposed northern terminus.

Mr_Northside

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2016/12/18/Construction-to-ebgin-in-January-on-next-phase-of-Southern-Beltway/stories/201612190004

3 years seems like a long time, but that seems to be PTC S.O.P.  At least they're doing work on it.

-- Fixed the URL.  -rmf67

Gnutella

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 20, 2016, 03:48:59 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2016/12/18/Construction-to-ebgin-in-January-on-next-phase-of-Southern-Beltway/stories/201612190004

3 years seems like a long time, but that seems to be PTC S.O.P.  At least they're doing work on it.

-- Fixed the URL.  -rmf67

When the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission has to give away half its revenue to fund stuff that has nothing to do with the Turnpike, it can't afford to do anything at a fast pace.

JoeP

It sucks that it won't have the spur into the city, but it really should continue east to the Turnpike and really be a southern beltway. Pittsburgh really lacks viable arteries, especially at interstate standard and even parts of its interstate of substandard.

ARMOURERERIC

For those who think this road is a waste, I was on 79N a few Saturdays ago and it was crowded from 70 all the way to 376.  Hopefully this will peel off some airport traffic when done.

Mr_Northside

And also any traffic to/from the south areas to that massive new Ethane Cracker plant Shell is building in Beaver County. (though that traffic does not exist yet on I-79 to compare to)

Gnutella

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 12, 2017, 12:03:52 PM
For those who think this road is a waste, I was on 79N a few Saturdays ago and it was crowded from 70 all the way to 376.  Hopefully this will peel off some airport traffic when done.

I-70 needs to be widened to six lanes for its entire length from I-70 to I-376. As it is now, there's a lane drop at PA 50 in Bridgeville.

Gnutella

Quote from: JawnwoodS96 on November 07, 2014, 11:36:40 AMThere are still some suburbs growing in the east (Most notably North Huntingdon and Murrysville), but in general people are trending toward the west. Not too certain why this is...

Two factors:

1. Proximity to I-79
2. Generally newer construction

Given how functionally obsolete I-376 is, and how difficult mobility is in the Pittsburgh area, proximity to a modern, toll-free Interstate is a major selling point. Also, many of the eastern suburbs in Allegheny County have dated construction that lacks the amenities that suburban homebuyers expect today, so they're not as desirable. The western suburbs tend to be more contemporary and more desirable.

Bitmapped

Squirrel Hill Tunnel and traffic problems along the Parkway East (I-376 east of downtown Pittsburgh) are a big reason why development is going elsewhere. Even places that are closer in have a slower or more unpleasant commute coming from the east because of these factors.

ARMOURERERIC

Bids for the last contract for 22 to 79, the 79 interchange, has been opened.  It was $25 million under estimate. 

The Ghostbuster

Once the US 22-to-Interstate 79 section of 576 is completed, do they have an idea on when the Interstate 79-to-State Highway 43 portion might be constructed? Or should I wait another 10 to 20 years before I ask that question again?

Mr_Northside

Probably just wait another 10 years.

theroadwayone

ARMOURERERIC

It appears that the segment of the Southern Beltway immediately south of 22 is near done to the next exit south.  Do you think the PTC will open that segment or wait until it's all done down to 79 in a few years.

PAHighways

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 11, 2019, 09:42:18 PM
It appears that the segment of the Southern Beltway immediately south of 22 is near done to the next exit south.  Do you think the PTC will open that segment or wait until it's all done down to 79 in a few years.
They did open the part of Turnpike 43 between 70 and Exit 39 before the rest to 51, but who knows.

SM-G965U

Mr_Northside

I'm pretty sure everything I've read since they started constructions was that they were going to open US-22 <-> I-79 all at once when it's all done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.