Which WISDOT un-used ROW and mapped corridors would you like to see built?

Started by peterj920, January 06, 2021, 12:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

WISDOT has several places with un-used ROW such as Wis 21 west of Oshkosh, Wis 11/81 between Monroe and the east junction of Wis 81, US 14 south of Oregon. There are also several mapped corridors that are probably not ever going to be built such as the "gap closure"  between the Wis 145 and Wis 175 Freeways in Milwaukee, the Wis 16 "short cut"  northwest of Watertown, and US 8 east of Pembine along with many others. Which would you like to see realistically built? Based on my travels, US 14 south of Oregon and Wis 21 west of Oshkosh would be the easiest to complete and are projects that are needed. WISDOT was studying the projects but have decided to halt the studies.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

There's no point of a new US 8 east of Pembine. Drivers can take CTH Z east of Beecher to US 41 which is adequate.

There used to be a ROW for US 12 for a more direct route from Whitewater to Elkhorn. It would help even if it was a two-lane road to get traffic off the WI 67 concurrency and reduce the need to fix the US 12/WI 20/WI 67 intersection. I have no dog in this fight as I haven't lived in WI since 1987 and my family is from Green Bay, so I haven't even been in that part of the state in ages. I'm just surprised it hasn't been built when I think it was being discussed when I left. It was needed then and judging by comments on this site it's still needed.

I-39

None of the above. With the possible exception of a Sauk City bypass along US 12, WisDOT needs to fix what they have rather than build more four lane expressway/freeway facilities.

Quote from: skluth on January 06, 2021, 07:17:16 PM
There used to be a ROW for US 12 for a more direct route from Whitewater to Elkhorn. It would help even if it was a two-lane road to get traffic off the WI 67 concurrency and reduce the need to fix the US 12/WI 20/WI 67 intersection. I have no dog in this fight as I haven't lived in WI since 1987 and my family is from Green Bay, so I haven't even been in that part of the state in ages. I'm just surprised it hasn't been built when I think it was being discussed when I left. It was needed then and judging by comments on this site it's still needed.

They just dropped the study for it. They determined it's not needed, and it really isn't. The corridor serves primarily local traffic except for on summer weekends.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: skluth on January 06, 2021, 07:17:16 PM
There used to be a ROW for US 12 for a more direct route from Whitewater to Elkhorn.

I don't think there was ever any ROW held for the 'corner cut' in Walworth County outside of the footprint of the WI 67 interchange.  It has always just been a line on a planning map.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mrose

I thought US 14 could have been four-laned south of Oregon two decades ago.

I'd also expand it between I-39/90 and I-43.

JREwing78

Quote from: mrose on January 08, 2021, 03:37:41 AM
I thought US 14 could have been four-laned south of Oregon two decades ago.

I'd also expand it between I-39/90 and I-43.

I concur, along with making the connection between County WC/Hwy 11 and US-14 west of the Rock River near Janesville. It's not a popular opinion with the folks living near the path of that proposed highway, which is why it's not built.

The Ghostbuster

There have been a number of proposals to expand roadways to four lanes, as well as bypasses that didn't pan out. These are taken from the DOT's Transportation Projects Commission page: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/about-wisdot/who-we-are/comm-couns/tpc.aspx. The reports are dated from 2005 through 2020.

Here is a sample of four lane proposals dropped: US 14/STH 11 (Interstate 39/90 to Interstate 43); STH 38 (Oakwood Rd. to CTH K); US 8 (STH 35 to US 53).

Here is a sample of bypasses dropped: STH 81/STH 213 South Beloit Bypass; US 14/US 61 Viroqua and Westby Bypasses; US 12 Fort Atkinson Bypass.

Other proposed projects dropped: Interstate 39/90/94 corridor study (Wisconsin Dells to Madison); The aforementioned US 12 corridor study (Whitewater to Elkhorn); Interstate 94 corridor study (US 12 to STH 65); and also includes one whose prospects are iffy: US 53 La Crosse Corridor Study.

coolkevs

Definitely 14 south of Oregon to 92. That section has too many curves.  Combined with glaring headlights on a 2-lane does not a fun drive make.

midwesternroadguy

I concur about US 14 south of Oregon.  The ROW is already there.  The amount of commuter traffic into Madison from Evansville is significant and on a poor alignment.  The same could be said for US 14 from Mazomanie or even Spring Green to Madison. A steady stream of traffic with few passing opportunities–more due to volumes than horizontal alignment. 

I'm not a big fan of US 12 north of Elkhorn to STH 20. That's an overdeveloped highway for a regional route.  I'd love to see a Super 2 built in the "corner cut" .

I support improvements to STH 21.  It carries a notable amount of cross-state traffic.  In addition, how about a Wautoma/Silver Lake bypass?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.