News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What concurrency has the largest number of highways

Started by idk, January 25, 2021, 02:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idk

Which concurrency has the largest number of highways. This can be literally any type of highway: Interstate, Business Route, Alternate Route, etc...

Occidental Tourist

According to Wikipedia there's an eight-route concurrency on I-465 outside Indianapolis between exits 46 and 47.  The eight concurrent routes are I-465, US-31, US-36, US-40, US-52, US-421, IN-37, and IN-67.

Looking at Google maps, I'm guessing most of these concurrent routes are on paper only, as there isn't much reassurance signage for the US routes and almost none for the state routes.  The state routes only seemed to be signed from where they exit from the beltway, not where they enter it or along it.

Avalanchez71

Those are signed to the best of my memory.  What is the largest signed concurrency?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 25, 2021, 07:31:03 AM
Those are(n't?) signed to the best of my memory.  What is the largest signed concurrency?

I think there's a 7 in Georgia, but I'm not sure where.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on January 25, 2021, 07:32:28 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 25, 2021, 07:31:03 AM
Those are(n't?) signed to the best of my memory.  What is the largest signed concurrency?

I think there's a 7 in Georgia, but I'm not sure where.

Folkston has the more well-known seven (though at least two are Georgia's "not-so hidden routes")...

...and for a very short stretch, so does Hawkinsville; I think all of them are independent routes:

US 89

The biggest Georgia one I know of is the Athens perimeter. The main route is GA 10 Loop, but it also carries parts of a whole bunch of other routes. There's one segment where 10 Loop is concurrent with US 29, US 78, US 129, US 441, GA 8, GA 15, and GA 422 for a total of eight concurrent routes.

However, other than 10 Loop, none of those state routes really count - GA 8 is the not-hidden designation for US 29, and same deal for GA 15 and US 441. GA 422 is an unsigned 4xx designation that they apparently threw on this because it was a freeway, even though the 4xx series are generally used as unsigned state numbers for Interstates.

Also, the concurrent routes are shockingly not signed all that well. I was up there relatively recently and I remember most reassurance shields were only for 10 Loop, with a couple trailblazers for the US routes here and there.

hbelkins

Pretty sure Kentucky tops out at five. The one I'm most familiar with is in Pikeville, where US 23, 119, and 460 are concurrent with KY 80 and 1426 for a brief stretch.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

TheStranger

California historically:

A stretch of I-15 (now I-215) near Colton that was I-15, US 91, US 395, and Route 18.  There may have been a short stretch in San Bernardino that was I-15, US 66, US 91, US 395, Route 18.

the San Bernardino Freeway between I-5 and Pomona was for a time I-10/US 60/US 70/US 99.  The Eastshore Freeway in the early 1960s was I-80, US 40, and Route 17, and was going to be part of (but never was signed) I-5W.

Prior to the truncation of Business 80 to just the Route 51 segment in 2016-2017, Sacramento had a stretch of three that had been signed at times (Business 80/US 50/Route 99), but mostly signed just as US 50 now (while still carrying 99).  All of that also is part of unsigned I-305. 

Since then I think there are no signed triple concurrencies left in California.
Chris Sampang

Roadgeekteen

In Massachusetts, I can't think of one with more than 3. (95/128/1 and 93/3/1)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't think Minnesota has anything signed for more than three, but there are a few quadruplexes with one US route hidden.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

For Illinois. I think the Quadplex on part of the Monmouth bypass.
US 34 US 67. Illinois 164 and Illinois 110
It comes close to being even better because there is a to Interstate 74 sign at the beginning of the tri plex  where 34 joins.Surprisingly Illinois didn't carry the 163 marking Iowa used from Burlington to Des  Moines.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Love2drive

There is a stretch in Greensboro that has 5 currently.  US 29, 70, 220 and Interstate 40 and Business 85.  That will drop in the future as 70 will be routed through town, and Business 85 will be eliminated altogether.  At one time US 421 was also routed along this stretch as well. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.