AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Interstate 84 using fractional mile markers  (Read 8979 times)

OCGuy81

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 09:34:01 AM
Interstate 84 using fractional mile markers
« on: March 14, 2021, 09:55:33 PM »

What appears to be the first (from what I’ve seen) on an Oregon freeway, it appears interstate 84 is using mileposts every half mile now. I didn’t take much notice until I saw what I initially thought was milepost 405 (as opposed to 40.5)

stevashe

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 05:15:13 PM
Re: Interstate 84 using fractional mile markers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:18:41 PM »

It's not the first, I remember seeing decimal mileposts on OR 217 back in the mid 2000s on a trip to Oregon. Looks like they are still there, though I'm not sure if they were the enhanced mile markers like shown in the most recent streetview back then, so that may be newer.

Still good to know that I-84 has some now too though! Thanks for letting us know. Were the ones on I-84 regular mileposts, or the enhanced type with shields and cardinal direction like the 217 ones?

And I bet it's still the first Interstate that has them. I know for a fact that the whole of I-5 and I-205 didn't have them as of 2019 at the very least.

OCGuy81

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:21:48 PM »

It's not the first, I remember seeing decimal mileposts on OR 217 back in the mid 2000s on a trip to Oregon. Looks like they are still there, though I'm not sure if they were the enhanced mile markers like shown in the most recent streetview back then, so that may be newer.

Still good to know that I-84 has some now too though! Thanks for letting us know. Were the ones on I-84 regular mileposts, or the enhanced type with shields and cardinal direction like the 217 ones?

And I bet it's still the first Interstate that has them. I know for a fact that the whole of I-5 and I-205 didn't have them as of 2019 at the very least.

They were regular mileposts, without the shield. I'll try and get some pictures next time I get out that way.

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:49:30 PM
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 12:15:22 AM »

They were regular mileposts, without the shield. I'll try and get some pictures next time I get out that way.
Does it look like what Indiana uses on their rural interstates?

OCGuy81

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 12:27:27 AM »

Does it look like what Indiana uses on their rural interstates?

Yep! That’s exactly what the ones on 84 look like.

Bickendan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:19:16 PM
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 01:35:46 AM »

It kind of makes sense to omit the shield on the 84, given the 30 duplexes for the majority of the route. Avoids milemarker 'overloading' (imagine it on the 84/30/395 triplex!).

SkyPesos

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 02:08:02 AM »

It kind of makes sense to omit the shield on the 84, given the 30 duplexes for the majority of the route. Avoids milemarker 'overloading' (imagine it on the 84/30/395 triplex!).
Normally, the blue enhanced mile markers leave out all the multiplexed routes and only have a primary route on them, so just I-84 in this case (imagine 8 other routes with I-465). If it’s between two interstates, I’ve seen them either both on or just the one with exit number continuity on.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 11:20:31 AM »

Yep! That’s exactly what the ones on 84 look like.

Those are decimals.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

stevashe

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 05:08:02 PM »

Normally, the blue enhanced mile markers leave out all the multiplexed routes and only have a primary route on them, so just I-84 in this case (imagine 8 other routes with I-465). If it’s between two interstates, I’ve seen them either both on or just the one with exit number continuity on.

In fact, there shouldn't be more than one route on them, part of the point of having the route on there is to identify which route's mileage the signs refer to in a concurrency.

SkyPesos

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »

In fact, there shouldn't be more than one route on them, part of the point of having the route on there is to identify which route's mileage the signs refer to in a concurrency.
They’re pretty inconsistent from my observations. Some concurrencies have both routes, like 71/75, 70/71 and 271/480 (last one looks really bad with both) on the mile marker, while some have the dominant route only, like 465/74 and 70/76. I prefer the single route version.

Bickendan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:19:16 PM
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 07:12:15 PM »

In Oregon, it'd be fairly moot, as the mileage doesn't belong to 84 or 30, (or 395 when joins the fray). It's 2, then 6.
30 effectively wouldn't be that affected, with the only noticeable discrepencies coming from the Mosier-The Dalles, Pendleton, La Grande, and Baker segements, for a total of roughly, what, 3-4? miles between I-5 and the respective crossings into Idaho in Ontario, as ORH 2's 0 is in Portland. And since 395 doesn't have its own undlying ORH number while it's on the 84, it doesn't care, as its next 0 is in Pendleton.
(This also puts 730's 0 at I-5, incidentally)
(ORH 6's technical 0 is at US 730, but like ORH 53 at US 26/OR 35, its posted 0 is in Portland)

stevashe

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 01:58:00 AM »

In Oregon, it'd be fairly moot, as the mileage doesn't belong to 84 or 30, (or 395 when joins the fray). It's 2, then 6.

Technically you're correct but 2's mileage starts at the same place as 84 and 6 continues the mileage from 2, so it's effectively 84's :P

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 02:22:21 PM »

They’re pretty inconsistent from my observations. Some concurrencies have both routes, like 71/75, 70/71 and 271/480 (last one looks really bad with both) on the mile marker, while some have the dominant route only, like 465/74 and 70/76. I prefer the single route version.
What I would do is: the mileposts go exclusively to the route of the higher class and then the lower number. (i.e. if you have Interstate 80 and 90, mileposts favor Interstate 80. If you have State Route 2 and Interstate 80, mileposts favor Interstate 80). I think this makes things a lot more consistent and clear.

SkyPesos

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »

What I would do is: the mileposts go exclusively to the route of the higher class and then the lower number. (i.e. if you have Interstate 80 and 90, mileposts favor Interstate 80. If you have State Route 2 and Interstate 80, mileposts favor Interstate 80). I think this makes things a lot more consistent and clear.
Generally, if only one of two routes in a concurrency in the same class is chosen to be on the mile markers, it's the one with exit numbering continuity in the concurrency. I made a thread discussing conditions which route should have exit number continuity in an interstate-interstate concurrency a while ago, if we continue this discussion somewhere else.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=28390

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.