Regional Boards > Northwest

In 1964 Alaska asked AASHO for the US 97 designation

<< < (2/7) > >>

kphoger:

--- Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2021, 08:40:07 PM ---

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on February 08, 2021, 08:36:29 PM ---And Mexico City? There's a better chance that US 81 could make it to Mexico City in a more direct path first, not that it's saying much.

--- End quote ---

57 already goes to Mexico City.

--- End quote ---

Mexico already has its own numbering scheme, and an extended US-97 to Mexico City wouldn't "fit the grid":  current Carr. Fed. 97 is something like 20-30 miles from the Gulf coast.  In Mexico, the low odd numbers are in the west, and the high odd numbers are in the east.

An extended US-57 to Mexico City, howeverócurrent Carr. Fed. 57ódoes "fit the grid", so it works.  That's a benefit of its being approximately halfway between 1 and 100, and also halfway between east and west.

I don't know when Mexico's numbering scheme was developed, though.

Henry:
While I find the idea of a US highway existing outside the Lower 48 quite intriguing, I would've wanted US 99 to be designated instead, although I could see the logic AK used in suggesting US 97, seeing that BC 97 and YT 97 already exist.

US 89:

--- Quote from: Henry on February 09, 2021, 10:55:22 AM ---While I find the idea of a US highway existing outside the Lower 48 quite intriguing, I would've wanted US 99 to be designated instead, although I could see the logic AK used in suggesting US 97, seeing that BC 97 and YT 97 already exist.

--- End quote ---

YT 97 does not exist. That's why the extension never happened.

The Ghostbuster:
If US 97 had been designated, and the proposed AK 2 extension to Nome was completed at some point, I wonder if the 97 designation would have been assigned to that route west of Livengood? This question is, of course, hypothetical, since US 97 does not exist in Alaska, and AK 2 may never be extended all the way to Nome.

kenarmy:
Why did AASHTO have the Yukon stipulation anyway? Yukon barely has 10 numbered routes and some of them are just disconnected portions of B.C. routes. I think it's sad B.C. designated their longest highway 97 and Alaska asked to be included in the route system and it got turned down because of this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version