News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Squirrel Hill Tunnel Rehabilitation to Raise Ceilings

Started by PAHighways, July 01, 2010, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

A $50 to $60 million rehabilitation of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels is planned to begin in 2012, which will not only improve the lighting, CCTV, and safety systems, but hopefully traffic flow as well.  PennDOT hopes to gain another foot to not only alleviate instances of overheight trucks having to turn around but the inevitable "brake for tunnel" issue.

Rehab to raise Squirrel Hill Tunnels' ceilings - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on July 01, 2010, 05:29:42 PM
but the inevitable "brake for tunnel" issue.

I honestly don't think that will change.  It's hardwired into the minds of Pittsburgh'ers.  Every other tunnel I've traveled through, never have I seen people tap their brakes.  Ok, I have to admit, the only other tunnels that I've been in (that aren't in the Pittsburgh area) are the two on I-77 in VA, but still, the point stands.

agentsteel53

a lot of traffic problems would be mitigated if the intensity of the brake lights were fixed to the intensity with which the brake pedal is being pushed.  A reflexive tap in heavy traffic should not be the start of a cascade failure as every person behind assumes there is some reason to slow down, and therefore slows down, unwittingly causing a reason to slow down for the drivers behind them.

on the other hand, I should not be led to assume that the driver in front of me is merely disengaging cruise control on the open road, when he is instead slamming his brakes hard to try to come to a complete stop before the refrigerator that has planted itself in the Number One lane.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

From the Trib's article: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/roadwork/s_688390.html

QuoteRemoving the ceiling will expose the tunnel's arched roof and raise the vertical clearance
If it stays that way (and I'd think it would have to for the added clearance), the tunnels will have a completely different look, even before the new lighting and such...
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.