News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What is US 31EX?

Started by Alex, July 15, 2010, 12:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Working on a Louisville area map, I came across "US 31EX" on the state highways shape file and looked it up on GSV and see that its signed. What is the story behind an EX highway? Is that an extension or business loop?

TheStranger

Quote from: AARoads on July 15, 2010, 12:52:34 AM
Working on a Louisville area map, I came across "US 31EX" on the state highways shape file and looked it up on GSV and see that its signed. What is the story behind an EX highway? Is that an extension or business loop?

US 31EX appears to be the business route for US 31E/US 150 in Mt. Washington, the older Bardstown Road goes through it (and continues on from both termini of 31EX along the mainline) while the Mount Washington Bypass takes a routing on the east side of town.

It is also signed right off of 31E/150 at the southern terminus:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=louisville,+ky&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.983628,106.787109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Louisville,+Jefferson,+Kentucky&layer=c&cbll=38.042399,-85.536279&panoid=onrVgTYexIUoi-LTIDjRhw&cbp=12,29.55,,2,-0.43&ll=38.042692,-85.536343&spn=0.004436,0.006748&z=17

It doesn't appear to be a Texas-style lettered business route.  I think it's the only business route for either of the 31 branches between Louisville and Nashville.

I was on 31E/150 about 4 years ago when I spent a month in Kentucky but didn't get to go to 31EX as it was at night when me and my friend drove around Mt. Washington.

More info on 31EX:
http://www.kentuckyroads.com/images/us31ex/
Chris Sampang

hbelkins

"31EX" is the inventory number for Business US 31E. It happens to be signed this way in Mount Washington. Why, I have no idea.

The "X" designation is used for inventory purposes anywhere a Business or Bypass banner is used. For instance, in Hazard, KY 15's business route is signed "Business KY 15" but for inventory purposes (mileposting, etc.) it's called KY 15X.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheStranger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2010, 07:12:38 PM
"31EX" is the inventory number for Business US 31E. It happens to be signed this way in Mount Washington. Why, I have no idea.

The "X" designation is used for inventory purposes anywhere a Business or Bypass banner is used. For instance, in Hazard, KY 15's business route is signed "Business KY 15" but for inventory purposes (mileposting, etc.) it's called KY 15X.

What I'm wondering:

Could US 31E already having a suffix at the end...make it "easier" to sign it as 31EX as opposed to Business 31E?  It doesn't seem logical the way I am imagining it, but it almost sounds like this could've been a quick way to sign the business route (by painting an X on existing 31E shields) without adding the type banner above it...

Chris Sampang

hbelkins

Quote from: TheStranger on July 22, 2010, 07:20:44 PM

What I'm wondering:

Could US 31E already having a suffix at the end...make it "easier" to sign it as 31EX as opposed to Business 31E?  It doesn't seem logical the way I am imagining it, but it almost sounds like this could've been a quick way to sign the business route (by painting an X on existing 31E shields) without adding the type banner above it...

Probably not. There is a bannered Bypass 31W in Elizabethtown (District 4) and a bannered Business 31E in Glasgow (District 3). I think this was someone from the District 5 sign shop seeing an order for signs for US 31EX and making them as such. If you want to pose the question to someone official, try andrea.clifford@ky.gov.

ClarkE

I was in Whitesburg, KY a few days ago, and their business route through downtown is actually signed KY 15X

hbelkins

Quote from: ClarkE on October 20, 2011, 05:02:57 AM
I was in Whitesburg, KY a few days ago, and their business route through downtown is actually signed KY 15X

That's news to me. I think the last time I drove through downtown was year before last, and there were no "KY 15X" signs.

Do you remember where you saw the signs? If on the northern end, it's possible those were installed by a contractor, as a minor widening project was done there last year.

ClarkE

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2011, 10:35:18 AM
Quote from: ClarkE on October 20, 2011, 05:02:57 AM

That's news to me. I think the last time I drove through downtown was year before last, and there were no "KY 15X" signs.

Do you remember where you saw the signs? If on the northern end, it's possible those were installed by a contractor, as a minor widening project was done there last year.

Yes, they were on the northern end. The signs looked very new, so that is probably when they were installed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.