News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate business routes

Started by someone17, September 12, 2022, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

But yet NCDOT asks for US 264 ALT to be decommissioned in favor of US 264 being realigned onto it.  US 264 is moving off of I-587 back to the old alignment.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 26, 2022, 11:07:35 PM
But yet NCDOT asks for US 264 ALT to be decommissioned in favor of US 264 being realigned onto it.  US 264 is moving off of I-587 back to the old alignment.

Same thing happened here in the early 1960s.  US-70 had been routed onto a new Super Two between Hillsborough and Greensboro and the previous route change to US-70A.  When the new route was twinned and upgraded to I-85, North Carolina put US-70 back onto the previous alignment.  If the original route is sufficient to handle through traffic, it doesn't make much sense to multiplex the U.S. Route with the Interstate (except when the U.S. Route crosses the Interstate at a diagonal and the Interstate serves as a necessary bypass).

There are similar issues related to Alternate US-220 along the I-74/I-73 corridor.  Once the I-74 Rockingham Bypass is completed, I wonder how much of US-220 will placed back onto the previous alignment.  (Back on topic, some of those coulda/woulda/shoulda been Green 73).

bluecountry

kphoger

Quote from: bluecountry on September 29, 2022, 07:04:54 PM
Why have a BR and not a spur?

BRs can be spurs.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

There are a few Business Spurs out there.  One Business Loop was turned into a Business Spur in MI after MI turned part of BL I-96 back to the city.  It is now BS I-96.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 30, 2022, 12:17:41 AM
There are a few Business Spurs out there.  One Business Loop was turned into a Business Spur in MI after MI turned part of BL I-96 back to the city.  It is now BS I-96.
Actually, it was always a Business Spur, although many people (including some map makers) seemed to think it was a Business Loop.  Either way, it's an absolutely ridiculous Business Route.  Per my comments on page 2:

BS-I-196 in Wyoming, MI has to be the dumbest business route ever.  Especially since they lopped off about half of it in 2017.  You can't access it from WB I-196, but if you access it from EB I-196 you can't return to EB-I-196, only WB I-196.  Prior to 2017, the route ended at US-131, and even though it was signed as a business spur, most people and several map makers assumed it continued north on US-131 to reconnect with I-196.  Now, the route ends at the Wyoming/Grand Rapids border, about 2 miles short of US-131 and requiring turns onto 2 different streets, without aid of highway markers to get to US-131.   http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/MichHwysBus96-496.html

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 30, 2022, 01:24:05 AM
BS-I-196 in Wyoming, MI has to be the dumbest business route ever.  Especially since they lopped off about half of it in 2017.  You can't access it from WB I-196, but if you access it from EB I-196 you can't return to EB-I-196, only WB I-196.  Prior to 2017, the route ended at US-131, and even though it was signed as a business spur, most people and several map makers assumed it continued north on US-131 to reconnect with I-196.  Now, the route ends at the Wyoming/Grand Rapids border, about 2 miles short of US-131 and requiring turns onto 2 different streets, without aid of highway markers to get to US-131.   http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/MichHwysBus96-496.html

I guess that business spur... is BS, then.  :bigass:
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.