News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Powell

Looking at the existing geometry, Bridgehunter says the deck width is 29.8 feet. I suppose you could put a railing in and have a bi-directional trail to one side of the older bridge, but then you are squeezing the remaining roadway traffic into 10 foot or less lanes, with the trail itself a sub-optimal 8 feet or so. You could have striped 4 foot bike lanes on each side, no barriers, and the roadway could be a smidge wider but still sub-optimal.

edwaleni

However it gets done (I-69 or US-41) it is definitely possible.

Images from FDOT Fuller Warren I-95 SUP Project

Or do it the old way like with the Hanaran Bridge in Memphis

http://www.bigrivercrossing.com/

Using galvanized steel and LED lighting, you could make the legacy US-41 bridge a destination pedway.

silverback1065

Quote from: edwaleni on October 11, 2021, 10:11:12 AM

Or do it the old way like with the Hanaran Bridge in Memphis

http://www.bigrivercrossing.com/

Using galvanized steel and LED lighting, you could make the legacy US-41 bridge a destination pedway.
We know it's possible, Kentucky is just being cheap.

Rick Powell

1. The new I-69 bridge would be an easier fix to add a bike path than the old bridge, but not sure if it's the best location. I think pedestrians and bicyclists would like to stay closer to the core of Henderson than out by the toll bridge, if given the choice. But bike paths on interstates, while rare, are sometimes added. See also I-494 over the Minnesota River in Bloomington/Mendota Heights, MN.
2. Not all truss bridges are good candidates for hanging a new path off to the side. We did studies of a shorter crossing over the IL River, and the existing truss wouldn't really work structurally, and you'd basically need to build a parallel bike bridge with new piers, etc. At that point, and because of other maintenance issues, a new bridge with an integrated path was in order. Adding a ped/bike crossing to US 41 similar to the Harahan crossing might be the best option, but the existing conditions need to be right to make it work.

evvroads

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 11, 2021, 08:23:24 AM
Question for the locals or whoever is familiar with the area, are Henderson and Evansville remotely connected (in the way that say Louisville and New Albany area are or Cincy/Covington)?

Somewhat, but not really. Evansville is the regional hub for a lot of shopping, restaurants, hospitals, etc, so you get people from the smaller towns all over the area coming to Evansville for those things, though Henderson has plenty of the chain stores, restaurants, etc too. You also have people that live in Henderson and work in Evansville (most common) or vice versa, but that's true for many of the small towns close to Evansville. As an Evansville resident (that works in Evansville also), if Henderson fell off the face of the Earth I can't say I'd be affected one bit. And apart from Evansville having higher level of care with the hospitals and a few more restaurant/shopping options, I think a lot of Henderson residents could say the same.

edwaleni

Quote from: edwaleni on October 11, 2021, 10:11:12 AM

When FDOT District 1 announced the I-95 bridge widening, there was no public hearing, nothing.

There was a loud outcry for a bike/pedway and District 1 came up with lots of excuses.

- Too expensive
- Illegal and against FHA design standards

Then the TPO and locals got involved and found out the District 1 office was just flat out lying.

They just didn't want to deal with it and the public.

Adding the pedway was still within their contingency budget, it didn't in fact violate "anything" as other FDOT Districts had done in Tampa and Miami.

When the concept of converting the Hanrahan roadway to a pedway, at first no one wanted to pay for it. The railroad didn't want it from the start.

But after several public hearings in both Tennessee & Arkansas there was support to have it funded, if anything to get ped traffic off the Memphis & Arkansas Bridge.

Once public support was found, a combo state/federal grant was put together and voila! A great reuse project for a public ROW.

If there is a level of public support on both sides of the river, it will happen.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ryctor2018

Excellent news! This will push the bridge timeline further, instead of having the ORX bridge "stall" because of inertia/lack of willpower.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

mvak36

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/kytc-section-1-contract-awarded/

It's the final key step to move one of Gov. Andy Beshear's top-priority transportation projects to construction — Section 1 of the I-69 Ohio River Crossing (I-69 ORX) between Henderson and Evansville, Indiana. A contract has been awarded to the Ragle, Inc./Stantec Consulting Services, Inc. design-build team. Construction is expected to begin in Henderson early next year.

"The past several days have been extremely difficult since tornadoes created so much loss for Kentuckians,"  said Gov. Beshear. "It's good to share some positive and important news. Many people in Western Kentucky have championed an interstate river crossing for decades. Having a team in place to construct the Kentucky approach for the I-69 Ohio River Crossing is a major step forward. I look forward to construction in the spring and seeing the first pieces of this transformational project that will benefit so many take shape."

I-69 ORX Section 1 focuses on improvements in Henderson and extends from KY 425 to US 60. Construction is expected to begin in early 2022 and continue through 2025. It will extend I-69 by more than six miles and includes interchanges with KY 351, US 41 near Kimsey Lane and at US 60.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is overseeing work on Section 1. KYTC has been reviewing and scoring proposals. Technical proposals were submitted in November and price proposals were opened last week. Ragle/Stantec was awarded the nearly $158 million construction contract after being identified as the apparent Best Value design-build team.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

edwaleni

Quote from: mvak36 on December 22, 2021, 09:55:12 AM
https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/kytc-section-1-contract-awarded/

It's the final key step to move one of Gov. Andy Beshear's top-priority transportation projects to construction — Section 1 of the I-69 Ohio River Crossing (I-69 ORX) between Henderson and Evansville, Indiana. A contract has been awarded to the Ragle, Inc./Stantec Consulting Services, Inc. design-build team. Construction is expected to begin in Henderson early next year.

"The past several days have been extremely difficult since tornadoes created so much loss for Kentuckians,"  said Gov. Beshear. "It's good to share some positive and important news. Many people in Western Kentucky have championed an interstate river crossing for decades. Having a team in place to construct the Kentucky approach for the I-69 Ohio River Crossing is a major step forward. I look forward to construction in the spring and seeing the first pieces of this transformational project that will benefit so many take shape."

I-69 ORX Section 1 focuses on improvements in Henderson and extends from KY 425 to US 60. Construction is expected to begin in early 2022 and continue through 2025. It will extend I-69 by more than six miles and includes interchanges with KY 351, US 41 near Kimsey Lane and at US 60.

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is overseeing work on Section 1. KYTC has been reviewing and scoring proposals. Technical proposals were submitted in November and price proposals were opened last week. Ragle/Stantec was awarded the nearly $158 million construction contract after being identified as the apparent Best Value design-build team.

Excellent news, especially coming so close after the tornado damage.

hbelkins

So it looks like they went with design/build instead of the traditional method.

silverback1065

is the 69/SR 339 Deathbow going away?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 22, 2021, 01:28:03 PM
is the 69/SR 339 Deathbow going away?

There's no SR 339. Do you mean 39?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

sprjus4

How does this relate to the bridge project?

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Meanwhile the bridge portion will start construction in 2027 with pre-construction such as design, right of way, and utility coordination starting in 2025.

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/orx-section-2/
Renewed roadgeek

edwaleni

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 22, 2021, 03:22:52 PM
How does this relate to the bridge project?

SR-339 goes from Paducah to south of Mayfield. Nowhere close to this project.

silverback1065

Since the previous 3 posters are useless I found my answer. The I-69 SR 339 interchange will become a diamond eventually. 2025

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 22, 2021, 05:47:12 PM
Since the previous 3 posters are useless I found my answer. The I-69 SR 339 interchange will become a diamond eventually. 2025

That's the Wingo exit between Mayfield and the Tennessee state line. Nowhere near Henderson or Evansville.

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 22, 2021, 05:47:12 PM
There's no connection to this project - it wasn't clear what you were talking about initially.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Renewed roadgeek

silverback1065

any maps of the new interchanges?

GreenLanternCorps

Big Rig Steve just drove through the construction area for the bridge approach on the Kentucky side.  Orange barrels were up, and the left lane was closed on a short section of I-69, but nothing else visible that I could see.

Ryctor2018

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on June 12, 2022, 01:59:58 PM
Big Rig Steve just drove through the construction area for the bridge approach on the Kentucky side.  Orange barrels were up, and the left lane was closed on a short section of I-69, but nothing else visible that I could see.

This area that Steve drove thru on 6/12/2022 is a few miles south of the ORX project listed on its website. The project construction area is on US-41 from the Audubon Pkwy north to just south of US-60. The construction zone may be for an unrelated project in northern KY.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.