News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Truck US 19 in Pittsburgh

Started by bugo, August 23, 2010, 08:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

What's the deal with this?  It looks like most truck traffic would take I-79.  Is it a relic from before I-79 was built?

PAHighways

Quote from: bugo on August 23, 2010, 08:11:49 PMWhat's the deal with this?  It looks like most truck traffic would take I-79.  Is it a relic from before I-79 was built?

Nowadays trucks would be using 79 and 279, and I have seen few 18 wheelers on McKnight Road; however, the route is still useful for local deliveries.

US 19 south of the city is narrow and there are tight intersections.  What is surprising is that the northern section of the route is the youngest, even with the same afflictions and especially this curve just north of I-279.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on August 23, 2010, 09:05:04 PM
What is surprising is that the northern section of the route is the youngest, even with the same afflictions and especially this curve just north of I-279.

Yes, that's a fun curve to go through.    If anything, US-19 Truck is completely useful in the North Hills.  Perry Highway is only 2 lanes (one each way), but has a 4 lanes North of that curve.  However, McKnight Rd (Truck US-19) is 4 lanes (2 each way) for most of it with a section in the middle that's 3 lanes each direction (for a total of 6).  It's completely justified as a Truck route for US-19.

Another tidbit, Truck US-19 is the only officially approved Truck route by the AASHTO. ;)  So, they even think it's worthwhile. ;)

Duke87

Something I noticed while browsing cmap (I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend): thanks to the incomplete interchange by the Fort Pitt tunnel, Truck 19 has a wrong way concurrency with itself on 376 east.

So much for RI 114 being the only route to do this...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on August 23, 2010, 09:47:07 PM
Something I noticed while browsing cmap (I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend): thanks to the incomplete interchange by the Fort Pitt tunnel, Truck 19 has a wrong way concurrency with itself on 376 east.

Well noticed!  So much for that assertion.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 23, 2010, 09:44:53 PM
Yes, that's a fun curve to go through.
It might have been mentioned somewhere on these forums, but the building inside the curve apparently can claim to be the only building that has 3 entrances on 3 different sides, and 3 different levels that all lead to the same road.

QuotePerry Highway is only 2 lanes (one each way), but has a 4 lanes North of that curve.

Yeah... but you don't get those 4 lanes for a while after the curve... In the meantime you have to deal with downtown West View, and then the neighborhood of Perrysville, then you get them (right before the current alley I bowl at [/pointless info] )  Even when you get those 4 lanes, there is no dedicated left-turn lanes anywhere, which sucks.  So I agree that at least the current Northern part of Truck US-19 is quite useful, especially since they improved the traffic light situation on McKnight.

Yeah... I always thought it would be kind of neat if they had a reassurance sign post with both "North" & "South" above the "Truck" & "19".  Though as a matter of practicality, it probably wouldn't be such a good idea.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 24, 2010, 12:18:58 PMIt might have been mentioned somewhere on these forums, but the building inside the curve apparently can claim to be the only building that has 3 entrances on 3 different sides, and 3 different levels that all lead to the same road.

I first heard that distinction mentioned in one of Rick Sebak's documentaries.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 24, 2010, 12:18:58 PM
especially since they improved the traffic light situation on McKnight.

Improved? Ha.  Then why did I get stuck at 5 red lights in a row just this weekend along it.....

agentsteel53

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 05, 2010, 10:38:25 PM

Improved? Ha.  Then why did I get stuck at 5 red lights in a row just this weekend along it.....

red lights are an improvement.  come on, before 1913 the concept didn't even exist!  embrace your new technological delay overlords!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: AlpsROADS on August 23, 2010, 11:31:59 PM

Well noticed!  So much for that assertion.
It's interesting how northbound US 19 Truck merges into northbound US 19 'too late' to take I-376 east directly, so it exits to the left and comes back onto northbound US 19 farther upstream.

US 60 also has a wrong-way self-overlap on Huntington Avenue in Newport News between 26th and 23rd Streets. It's better-signed than the other two: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.979287,-76.428537&spn=0.007217,0.020599&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=36.97924,-76.428631&panoid=Ypz7o7H90vNOhhVGey8XfQ&cbp=12,183.74,,0,-4.8
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

surferdude

Quote from: bugo on August 23, 2010, 08:11:49 PM
What's the deal with this?  It looks like most truck traffic would take I-79.  Is it a relic from before I-79 was built?

Yes it was.  US Truck 19 was built because of the steep slope of US 19 and a horrible horizontial curve in West View, and the vertical profile is very steep. 

ARMOURERERIC

Going Southbound on Pine Creek Hill the exit for McKnight Road was signed as (19) Truck South from my earliest memories 1968ish, but there were no actual reassurance markers on Mcknight untiil, I think about 1983.

And some more useless trivia:  Good Lane in Perryville was named by my Great Uncle Robert Good whos construction company built all the tract homes back down along Bernice steet and surroundings.

surferdude

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 29, 2011, 06:38:26 PM
Going Southbound on Pine Creek Hill the exit for McKnight Road was signed as (19) Truck South from my earliest memories 1968ish, but there were no actual reassurance markers on Mcknight untiil, I think about 1983.

And some more useless trivia:  Good Lane in Perryville was named by my Great Uncle Robert Good whos construction company built all the tract homes back down along Bernice steet and surroundings.

Not useless that is nice to know, how the Lane got it's name.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.