News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Which route is longer in Kentucky? Is it US 60 or KY 80? I've seen Wiki says the US route is  30 miles longer, but you can't trust Wiki being info can be changed so easily either by an uninformed person or troll or even both.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2022, 10:55:53 AM
Which route is longer in Kentucky? Is it US 60 or KY 80? I've seen Wiki says the US route is  30 miles longer, but you can't trust Wiki being info can be changed so easily either by an uninformed person or troll or even both.

I would imagine US 60 is longer since it's routing between Paducah and Louisville roughly follows the Ohio River and meanders quite a bit.  KY 80 is mostly straight, except for east of London, and has mostly been rerouted to straighter, more modern alignments (except where the Cumberland and Rogers/Boone Parkways run near it).

74/171FAN

Quote from: wriddle082 on May 05, 2022, 11:05:45 AM

I would imagine US 60 is longer since it's routing between Paducah and Louisville roughly follows the Ohio River and meanders quite a bit.  KY 80 is mostly straight, except for east of London, and has mostly been rerouted to straighter, more modern alignments (except where the Cumberland and Rogers/Boone Parkways run near it).

US 60 is slightly longer (487.18 miles) than KY 80 (475.61 miles) according to Travel Mapping.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 05, 2022, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on May 05, 2022, 11:05:45 AM

US 60 is slightly longer (487.18 miles) than KY 80 (475.61 miles) according to Travel Mapping.

Just remember our liberal use of shaping points trying to keep the route in tolerance.  So, it could be even closer if there's some sections of super curvy road that only has a single shaping point for it.

CardInLex

Reminder of Kentucky Derby traffic.

Most roads a few blocks around Churchill Downs are closed.

No full interstate closures expected. But, the off ramps leading to Churchill will close at 5:45pm. Additionally, right lanes of interstates 264 and 65 will be closed at that time to allow traffic leaving Churchill to get onto the interstates easier.

Happy Derby!

CanesFan27

The Fork in the Road and the Cutting Edge of Simpson County (Kentucky) - are more than just quirky pieces of roadside art.  It's a local high school connecting with its community with works of public art.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/06/a-near-table-setting-in-franklin.html

Avalanchez71

Quote from: CanesFan27 on June 04, 2022, 08:45:54 PM
The Fork in the Road and the Cutting Edge of Simpson County (Kentucky) - are more than just quirky pieces of roadside art.  It's a local high school connecting with its community with works of public art.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/06/a-near-table-setting-in-franklin.html

I was just in this area the past weekend.  I didn't know about this one. 

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

hbelkins

Quote from: XamotCGC on June 14, 2022, 02:44:22 PM
What kind of font is on the Bardstown/Louisville distance sign? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6916036,-85.2350549,3a,15y,296.21h,86.45t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1soeobIvNGgFREgcIggSsFLQ!2e0!5s20130601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

That's a standard font that most KYTC districts used to make such signs for years. The letters were cut out of white reflective material and applied to the green sheeting. Now, most districts use a laser trimming method whereby there's a thin green sheet overlaying a white reflective sheet on the sign blank, and the letter shapes are cut with the laser and then peeled off.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

XamotCGC

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

hbelkins

Probably just a pedestrian overpass with either a gentle ADA-compliant grade on either side of the road, or elevators on either side. Most likely similar to the new one being constructed on KY 876 in Richmond near the EKU campus just east of KY 52, or the one on KY 32 in Morehead near St. Claire Medical Center.

CardInLex

I-65 South (mainline lanes) will be closed beginning July 5th and remain closed for the next 48 days (full closure) just after the Kennedy bridge. All thru traffic will have to detour onto the Jefferson Street c/d ramp, hop over a few lanes, and rejoin I-65 south mainline.

This closure comes after a truck lost it load several months ago severely damaging an overpass. Traffic has been reduced to one mainline lane since then. A full closure is necessary for repairs to take place. Additionally, lanes underneath the overpass (I-64 and ramps to/from I-64) will also have periodic lane closures.

https://www.facebook.com/100064794123736/posts/pfbid0LcPuJtryXUtcdjNnQsNoB5CDwqXiNwEAE4VDFufMFkSvJsAAf4X8MXTK9NavF3XSl/

Edit: Update to closure date. I had it wrong.

hbelkins

Some trucking company's insurance carrier is going to be out a huge settlement amount over that one...

stevashe

Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2022, 09:12:04 PM
Probably just a pedestrian overpass with either a gentle ADA-compliant grade on either side of the road, or elevators on either side. Most likely similar to the new one being constructed on KY 876 in Richmond near the EKU campus just east of KY 52, or the one on KY 32 in Morehead near St. Claire Medical Center.

On the contrary, the linked article states that the bridge will be constructed on US 68 and that pedestrians will pass underneath the highway, which is probably what prompted XamotCGC's question, as it does seem like there isn't enough space for that.

hbelkins

Quote from: stevashe on July 20, 2022, 11:31:30 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 20, 2022, 09:12:04 PM

On the contrary, the linked article states that the bridge will be constructed on US 68 and that pedestrians will pass underneath the highway, which is probably what prompted XamotCGC's question, as it does seem like there isn't enough space for that.

May be similar to what Pikeville Medical Center did, then. They built a pedestrian tunnel underneath KY 1426 (Bypass Road) from a parking lot to the hospital's main campus.

GCrites

^How rich have engineering firms gotten off of that town?

seicer

Enough - but that hospital is probably one of the more unique locations. Who locates it in a steep holler? The hospital is very tall - and incredibly efficient in land use.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on July 20, 2022, 04:38:58 PM
Enough - but that hospital is probably one of the more unique locations. Who locates it in a steep holler? The hospital is very tall - and incredibly efficient in land use.

And the hospital owns much of the property in town as well, plus a broadcasting company.

hbelkins

New section of KY 30 in Owsley and Jackson counties dedicated:

https://www.wymt.com/2022/07/20/governor-andy-beshear-cuts-ribbon-segment-ky-30-jackson-co/

Two different video clips included with the story. Some of you might recognize someone.

CardInLex

Nightly lane closures of I-71 between I-265 (Gene Snyder Freeway) and the Blankenbaker Ln overpass begin this week.

A full 10-day closure of I-71 South between I-265 and Zorn Ave (including the interchange with I-264) will happen later this month or early September. Suggested detour is I-265 South to I-64 West to access I-264 or downtown.

Tom958

Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2022, 10:52:07 AM

https://www.wymt.com/2022/07/20/governor-andy-beshear-cuts-ribbon-segment-ky-30-jackson-co/

Two different video clips included with the story. Some of you might recognize someone.

The idea of a rural two-lane highway that can do so much to increase accessibility even in the third decade of the 21st century really appeals to me. I do wish the Streetview car would make it over there, though.

Where's that stretch of KY 11 you were talking about?   

hbelkins

Quote from: Tom958 on August 02, 2022, 06:14:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2022, 10:52:07 AM

The idea of a rural two-lane highway that can do so much to increase accessibility even in the third decade of the 21st century really appeals to me. I do wish the Streetview car would make it over there, though.

Where's that stretch of KY 11 you were talking about?

From the KY 30 intersection in Owsley County to two miles north of the county line in Lee County.

I have photos of the new road but haven't posted it yet.

ukfan758

Someone mentioned on Reddit (without evidence) that the improvements for the 64/265 interchange (adding the turbines iirc) was scrapped by the contractor. Is there any truth to this? If so, the widening is just going to mean 50% more cars can reach that interchange and cause potentially even worse backups with that outdated cloverleaf.

hbelkins

Quote from: ukfan758 on August 11, 2022, 12:36:37 PM
Someone mentioned on Reddit (without evidence) that the improvements for the 64/265 interchange (adding the turbines iirc) was scrapped by the contractor. Is there any truth to this? If so, the widening is just going to mean 50% more cars can reach that interchange and cause potentially even worse backups with that outdated cloverleaf.

I don't think a contractor has the ability to scrap a part of the project.

seicer

No, the project is still ongoing as far as KYTC is concerned (https://i-moveky.com/).

Where on Reddit did you see this? I couldn't see it under r/Louisville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.