News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Quote from: bandit957 on April 11, 2023, 07:38:04 PM
Quote from: jrStudios on April 11, 2023, 05:16:02 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on April 11, 2023, 05:09:24 PM
If you mean the regular shields, I do remember one day around 1987 when there was a stretch of road in my area where all the shields were suddenly replaced. But they missed a few older shields, and those remained until not that long ago.
Not just that but full on signs. No button copies, nothing! The shields remained until like 2016, I saw that myself. But the green signs, those were all replaced. I want us to find pre-1987 KY Highway guide signs.

From 1976:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di37183

I don't know the date here, but likely pre-1987:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di80915

Probably late 1960s:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di60319

1977:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di00774

1981:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di15403

1974:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di38213

1980:

https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/viewimage.php?i=di55424
This is an excellent find!  I have looked at these a couple of times before on my phone.  Noticing the second photo, I expanded the photo on my phone but could not clearly make out what was on the far I-275 EAST sign.  I thought it was Covington/Newport.  Well, now that I am on my home computer, I clicked on the photo and saw that the wording is Cincinnati By-Pass.  IMHO, I believe that still should be posted on the current sign along with EAST I-275/TO I-471.  This does make a good Cincinnati bypass for through I-71 traffic as it is just 10 extra miles verses taking I-71 through the city.  Also, the Cincinnati By-Pass wording appears not to be button copy and was added on after the sign was erected.

The bus photo shows the "wilderness" that was Mineola Pike before it was built up in the 1980's.  Also, KY 1334 is now KY 212 and the sign is now posted on the Mineola Pike bridge.

The I-275/I-471/US 27 photo shows a covered up Cincinnati on the I-471 signs.  This was taken before the Daniel Carter Beard (Big Mac) Bridge was completed in the year this photo was taken.

Thanks for posting these bandit957!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jrStudios

Quote from: amroad17 on April 17, 2023, 03:14:47 AM
Quote from: jrStudios on April 14, 2023, 06:47:26 AM
Sign Theory is mainly renovated to I-64,24,65 and 75.  Maybe I-71?
:hmmm:
I-71 has had 1 major sign replacement that I know of--and may have had one in the 1980's; that I do not know.  The original signage was put up upon completion c. 1968-69.  The major one I know of occurred around 2000-01, when most, if not all, guide signs, gore signs, and distance signs were changed (using Highway Gothic font).  Since then, some signs have been changed to the Clearview font, however not on an entire I-71 system basis.
Quote from: bandit957 on April 13, 2023, 09:22:31 AM
Around here, I've always considered button copy an Ohio thing but not a Kentucky thing. However, there was an older button copy sign on I-75 for the Buttermilk Pike exit until not that long ago.
When I first moved to Northern Kentucky in late 1994, the only Kentucky button copy sign I saw was at the Erlanger interchange for KY 236 EAST (184A).  I believe the sign was at the gore for 184A, although it could have been up on the prior sign at the 184B gore.

There were button copy signs on I-275 EB just before the Combs-Hehl Bridge for US 52 (at the 1 MILE advance sign) and for an auxiliary sign for Coney Island but I believe they were Ohio installs and not Kentucky ones.  They have long been since replaced.

Might of been installed by Ohio.

Only in Ohio will you find them installing signs in other states.

bandit957

Anyone in Kentucky remember state route shields with 4-digit numbers with really tall and skinny numerals? They used the circular shields, not the wider, oval shields now used for 4-digit numbers. They were probably posted in the 1960s or 1970s.

Think of some newer 3-digit Interstate shields with skinny numerals. What I'm talking about was even taller and skinnier than that.

KY 1120 had a few of these. Most of the KY 1120 shields were not like this, but I remember maybe 3 of them like this through Fort Thomas. I know at least one lasted into the 1990s. maybe the 2000s.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Rothman

Quote from: bandit957 on April 17, 2023, 09:35:35 AM
Anyone in Kentucky remember state route shields with 4-digit numbers with really tall and skinny numerals? They used the circular shields, not the wider, oval shields now used for 4-digit numbers. They were probably posted in the 1960s or 1970s.

Think of some newer 3-digit Interstate shields with skinny numerals. What I'm talking about was even taller and skinnier than that.

KY 1120 had a few of these. Most of the KY 1120 shields were not like this, but I remember maybe 3 of them like this through Fort Thomas. I know at least one lasted into the 1990s. maybe the 2000s.
Pretty sure a lot of those types of shields still exist out there.  KY 1091 and KY 1498 still have them, as far as I know, if I understand the description correctly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wriddle082

Whatever highway district covers Lawrence County and points south of there along US 23, that district always used circles for all state highways, from one digit to four digit.  And they used to use the two-digit US highway shields for 119 and 460.  This was at least back in the 90's and 00's.  I can't remember whether or not they still did this the last time I was in that area, which was almost 10 years ago.

bandit957

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2023, 09:50:14 AM

Pretty sure a lot of those types of shields still exist out there.  KY 1091 and KY 1498 still have them, as far as I know, if I understand the description correctly.

I think some Kentucky highway districts might have used them longer than ours did.

bandit957

Quote from: Rothman on April 17, 2023, 09:50:14 AMPretty sure a lot of those types of shields still exist out there.  KY 1091 and KY 1498 still have them, as far as I know, if I understand the description correctly.

I just found some of these on Street View where the numbers are pretty skinny, but the ones I remember were probably even skinnier. But it's hard to tell, because these don't have a 2.

wriddle082

bandit957

CardInLex

Annual reminder of interstate and road closures in Louisville, KY:

Beginning Thursday and to Sunday afternoon:
-US 31 (Clark Memorial Bridge)

Saturday around 8pm to 10:30pm:
-I-64 between I-264 (Davis Powers Expressway) and I-264 (Watterson Expressway); both directions
-I-65 between I-264 (Watterson Expressway) and I-265 in Indiana (Lee Hamilton Highway) including both the Lincoln and Kennedy bridges over the Ohio River

Additionally, surface streets near the Ohio River in both Kentucky and Indiana will be closed Saturday. Beginning around 9pm on Saturday, KYTC, Metro Public Works, and LMPD will be directing traffic. Some streets will be "express"  and turns prohibited. Some one way streets may also be reversed for traffic control. The Big Four Bridge will be closed all day Saturday, cyclists and pedestrians needing to cross the Ohio River will need to use Tarc.

Happy Thunder, y'all!

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on April 17, 2023, 09:51:12 AM

Whatever highway district covers Lawrence County and points south of there along US 23, that district always used circles for all state highways, from one digit to four digit.  And they used to use the two-digit US highway shields for 119 and 460.  This was at least back in the 90's and 00's.  I can't remember whether or not they still did this the last time I was in that area, which was almost 10 years ago.

District 12, based in Pikeville. But they're going away. An increasing number of four-digit routes are now posted on the wider route markers, as are signs for US 119 and US 460.

A mistake, IMNSHO.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

XamotCGC

Quote from: CardInLex on April 17, 2023, 08:43:36 PM

-I-64 between I-264 (Davis Powers Expressway) and I-264 (Watterson Expressway); both directions
-I-65 between I-264 (Watterson Expressway) and I-265 in Indiana (Lee Hamilton Highway) including both the Lincoln and Kennedy bridges over the Ohio River

Additionally, surface streets near the Ohio River in both Kentucky and Ohio will be closed Saturday. Beginning around 9pm on Saturday, KYTC, Metro Public Works, and LMPD will be directing traffic. Some streets will be "express"  and turns prohibited. Some one way streets may also be reversed for traffic control. The Big Four Bridge will be closed all day Saturday, cyclists and pedestrians needing to cross the Ohio River will need to use Tarc.

Happy Thunder, y'all!

It's not called the Shawnee Expressway anymore on the west side?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

CardInLex

Quote from: XamotCGC on April 20, 2023, 10:36:18 PM
Quote from: CardInLex on April 17, 2023, 08:43:36 PM

Additionally, surface streets near the Ohio River in both Kentucky and Ohio will be closed Saturday. Beginning around 9pm on Saturday, KYTC, Metro Public Works, and LMPD will be directing traffic. Some streets will be "express"  and turns prohibited. Some one way streets may also be reversed for traffic control. The Big Four Bridge will be closed all day Saturday, cyclists and pedestrians needing to cross the Ohio River will need to use Tarc.

Happy Thunder, y'all!

It's not called the Shawnee Expressway anymore on the west side?

No, it was renamed in 2010 to honor Georgia Davis Powers. It is still erroneously referred to as the Shawnee on traffic reports and maps. https://www.wave3.com/story/12662719/expressway-renamed-in-honor-of-former-senator/

Georgia Guardrail

Does anyone have an update on widening the New Circle Road segment from Leestown Road to Georgetown Road in Lexington?  I don't think it's been funded yet.  I heard they want to put in the Diverging Diamond at the Leestown Road Interchange.

seicer

It looks like it was separated from the overall widening project from Versailles to Georgetown Road, and you are correct in that the Leestown Road interchange will be a double-crossover diamond: https://transportation.ky.gov/Highway-Design/VE%20Study/VE201207%20New%20Circle.pdf

Construction is set to begin in 2024: https://www.constructionjournal.com/projects/details/4c4a2a7b9c31485aa61004fb8814a4e5.html

Georgia Guardrail

Quote from: seicer on April 27, 2023, 09:28:50 PM
It looks like it was separated from the overall widening project from Versailles to Georgetown Road, and you are correct in that the Leestown Road interchange will be a double-crossover diamond: https://transportation.ky.gov/Highway-Design/VE%20Study/VE201207%20New%20Circle.pdf

Construction is set to begin in 2024: https://www.constructionjournal.com/projects/details/4c4a2a7b9c31485aa61004fb8814a4e5.html

Thanks!  Good to know it is scheduled to happen next year.

BTW, does anyone know the status of the I-64/Bert T Combs Mountain Parkway interchange?  I thought they were supposed to add a WB I-64 to Parkway ramp as well as a EB Parkway to I-64 ramp.

Rothman

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on April 28, 2023, 12:07:36 AM

BTW, does anyone know the status of the I-64/Bert T Combs Mountain Parkway interchange?  I thought they were supposed to add a WB I-64 to Parkway ramp as well as a EB Parkway to I-64 ramp.
Why would one need an EB Parkway to I-64 ramp when the Parkway begins at I-64?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

I think Georgia Guardrail (nice name!) is referring to the construction of missing ramps. Here is the preferred alternative. I don't see it referenced in the six-year highway plan.

I am torn on the need for it considering the proximity of the KY 627 interchange and the projected low use of those missing ramps. Ramp C also cuts through prime farmland, too. Moving the ramp further back to make that ramp more compact would impact a historic site.

wriddle082

Quote from: seicer on April 28, 2023, 09:11:50 AM
I think Georgia Guardrail (nice name!) is referring to the construction of missing ramps. Here is the preferred alternative: https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictSeven/Pages/Mountain-Parkway-Interchange.aspx

I am torn on the need for it considering the proximity of the KY 627 interchange and the projected low use of those missing ramps. Ramp C also cuts through prime farmland, too. Moving the ramp further back to make that ramp more compact would impact a historic site.

When you say "historic site" , are you referring to the last remaining "roundhouse"  rest area just east of the interchange on 64?

seicer

New planning studies posted to KYTC:

KY 3 Auxier Corridor Study: "The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) launched the KY 3 Corridor Study in Spring 2022 to investigate transportation issues along KY 3 in Floyd and Johnson counties, Kentucky, near the community of Auxier. This study examines the last 2.5-mile, two-lane gap in the existing 19-mile long, multi-lane KY 3 highway connection between US 23 near Auxier and KY 645 at Inez in Martin County."

Upgrading the existing KY 321/3 route to five lanes would be the best, in my opinion. It would also save from adding yet another intersection and potential traffic light on US 23. It would also use the 1992 bridge for KY 3 over the Levisa Fork, which was built when the four-lane US 23 bypass was completed. (KY 321 was the former US 23 alignment built in 1962; when it was built, four-lane KY 3 coming from Inez ended at US 23.)

I-64/US 127 West Frankfort Improvements: "The objective of the study is to examine potential short-term traffic impacts along US 127 and adjacent roadways associated with a proposed commercial development northeast of its interchange with I-64 in west Frankfort."

Build 3, with modifications to the I-64 interchange, seems to be a reasonable compromise.

KY 44 Programing Study: "The objective of the study was to review existing projects, validate design assumptions, investigate new ways to optimize performance through Transportation Systems Management Operations (TSMO) and Performance Based Flexible Solutions (PBFS) concepts, and develop a project priority programming scheme for KY 44 between KY 61 and the Spencer County line."

This regards improvements to KY 44 between Shepherdsville and Mt. Washington. It does not seem the entire corridor will be five-laned.

Rothman

They just keep wanting to tinker with KY 3.  It's come a  long way since it was re-routed from going down by Jenny Wiley (current KY 302).

sprjus4

Quote from: Rothman on April 28, 2023, 07:02:19 AM

I think it's pretty clear he meant I-64 to EB Parkway, given that and the aforementioned connection are the only two missing for being a full system interchange.

Rothman

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 28, 2023, 10:19:56 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 28, 2023, 07:02:19 AM

I think it's pretty clear he meant I-64 to EB Parkway, given that and the aforementioned connection are the only two missing for being a full system interchange.

Well, he already mentioned the I-64 WB to EB Parkway ramp, so I understood that.

So...both of you meant WB Parkway to I-64 East, evidently.

hbelkins

Best way to improve the connection from I-64 west to Mountain Parkway east, or Mountain Parkway west to I-64 east, would be a major improvement to KY 11 between Clay City and Mt. Sterling.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2023, 02:17:53 PM
Best way to improve the connection from I-64 west to Mountain Parkway east, or Mountain Parkway west to I-64 east, would be a major improvement to KY 11 between Clay City and Mt. Sterling.
That's a really good point, actually.  My relatives travel from Floyd County to either Lexington or Mount Sterling, so going all the way to almost Lexington to turn back east doesn't make sense.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.