News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

If your employer's website was more accessible and searchable, I'd be happy to find those news releases and prove you wrong. But you seem pretty content with thinking that raising speed limits is only something that Andy Beshear does when it's been proven that the past several administrations have done just that.

XamotCGC

When did Kentucky switch from white background to a green background on mileage signs? Just wondering.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Rothman

Quote from: XamotCGC on October 13, 2023, 09:37:17 PM
When did Kentucky switch from white background to a green background on mileage signs? Just wondering.
Holy cow...I forgot the white background was a thing, but remember that from when I was a kid.  Must have happened eons ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I guess Kentucky was serious about using I-569 for part of Western Ky Pkwy.

From my trip back from Mississippi, last week.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

74/171FAN

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 14, 2023, 10:38:33 PM
I guess Kentucky was serious about using I-569 for part of Western Ky Pkwy.

From my trip back from Mississippi, last week.

Yeah, I saw that back when I clinched the Western KY Pkwy back in June.  I believe it currently will only go from I-69 to I-165.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bandit957

Maybe 1970s or so.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on October 19, 2023, 07:54:12 PM

Maybe 1970s or so.

There were a couple of them still posted last year in Gallatin County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

I've spent the past week working around Lexington and got to drive or check out several new developments:

- The new KY 956 bypass of Berea looks to be practically complete. It will connect US 25 north of the city to KY 21 east of the city. It appears to be two lanes on a four-lane right-of-way and will include a bike path. Alignment

I wish that the second phase of the project more closely matched the first phase from KY 595 to US 25. The first phase is more of a conventional highway design, with four lanes, shoulders, and an unfortunate gravel median. I'm not sure why the state has started to use gravel medians instead of grass as it promotes surface-run off, and requires extensive toxic weed spraying (rather than mowing). It is also just ugly, especially in a town like Berea that prides itself on its environmental ethos.

- The completion of KY 52 between I-75 and Paint Lick is progressing. The four-lane KY 2872 (Duncannon Lane) tapers to two lanes at Caleast Road. Portions are already paved but earthwork is still underway further west.

- The first phase of the KY 2827 bypass of Nicholasville is complete from US 27 south of the city to KY 39 east of the city. It is four lanes with controlled access at intersections. It features a curbed median and a bike path with a grass median (unlike the first phase of the Berea bypass). This will not be a replacement for US 27 but a relief route for the eastern fringes of the city.

The western terminus will need a traffic signal sooner than later. Ideally, this would include an interchange but so did the gob of intersections along US 27 around Nicholasville.

- US 68 has been significantly improved descending down to the Kentucky River. It appears that they have done some context-sensitive improvements, including some rockfall mitigation, curve reconstruction, shoulder addition and stabilization, and repaving.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on October 24, 2023, 03:40:03 PM
I've spent the past week working around Lexington and got to drive or check out several new developments:

- The new KY 956 bypass of Berea looks to be practically complete. It will connect US 25 north of the city to KY 21 east of the city. It appears to be two lanes on a four-lane right-of-way and will include a bike path. Alignment

I wish that the second phase of the project more closely matched the first phase from KY 595 to US 25. The first phase is more of a conventional highway design, with four lanes, shoulders, and an unfortunate gravel median. I'm not sure why the state has started to use gravel medians instead of grass as it promotes surface-run off, and requires extensive toxic weed spraying (rather than mowing). It is also just ugly, especially in a town like Berea that prides itself on its environmental ethos.

It also has a roundabout at KY 1016.  :banghead:

My guess is that the segment east of US 25 will not carry enough traffic to justify four lanes

seicer

I don't think it will. A roundabout will be installed at the KY 686 Mt. Sterling bypass at its junction with KY 713. The bypass has room for four-lanes, but the proposal from KYTC on the roundabout alluded that traffic counts on the bypass have peaked and there is no demand for four-lanes in the foreseeable future. That intersection has been problematic and has a high accident rate.

--

Unrelated, I am curious as to how District 9 prioritizes right-of-way and roadway maintenance. While it keeps up with Interstate 64 and the Mountain Parkway very well, clearing debris from shoulders, trimming back trees far from the roadway, and clearing off rock benches, other roads leave much to be desired. US 23 is a complete mess in Greenup and Boyd counties, to the point that large trees are now growing in ditch lines and branches are completely covering signs. Water is ponding on the road because it can't leave the asphalt because of gravel/debris that's created a berm at the edge. And debris in the median and shoulder have not been swept or removed, despite my repeated emails.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on October 25, 2023, 12:52:46 PM
I don't think it will. A roundabout will be installed at the KY 686 Mt. Sterling bypass at its junction with KY 713. The bypass has room for four-lanes, but the proposal from KYTC on the roundabout alluded that traffic counts on the bypass have peaked and there is no demand for four-lanes in the foreseeable future. That intersection has been problematic and has a high accident rate.

--

Unrelated, I am curious as to how District 9 prioritizes right-of-way and roadway maintenance. While it keeps up with Interstate 64 and the Mountain Parkway very well, clearing debris from shoulders, trimming back trees far from the roadway, and clearing off rock benches, other roads leave much to be desired. US 23 is a complete mess in Greenup and Boyd counties, to the point that large trees are now growing in ditch lines and branches are completely covering signs. Water is ponding on the road because it can't leave the asphalt because of gravel/debris that's created a berm at the edge. And debris in the median and shoulder have not been swept or removed, despite my repeated emails.

The roundabout in Mt. Sterling is complete and has been functional in existence for several months.

Also, the Mountain Parkway doesn't run through District 9. The Clark County section is in District 7, the remainder in District 10. As to their priorities, I would think that US 23 would rank only behind I-64 and above other routes like US 68 and the AA Highway.

ThatRandomOshawott

https://www.radionwtn.com/2023/10/12/ribbon-cutting-opens-new-hwy-641-section-from-hazel-to-murray/

The new four-lane segment of US 641 between Murray and Hazel opened last month. The widening of this segment of US 641 has been talked about for decades, but it finally came to fruition. My 90-year-old grandmother has lived her entire life in the area and she wanted to see the new road, so my father and I went down the new road going southbound with her in the back seat.
It seems well-designed, with I think three Michigan lefts for some county roads that the new 641 bisects. It's not fully complete, though - the intersection just south of Murray with the old 641 alignment is still being worked on. And it has a 55 mph speed limit - perhaps they'll raise it to 65 when Tennessee decides to complete their segment of the four-lane from Hazel to Paris? 

seicer

Perhaps, especially in light of the state raising the speed limit on comparable roads in western and south-central Kentucky.

You can see some of the new alignment in this aerial: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5520375,-88.3284186,9621m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

rickmastfan67

Quote from: seicer on November 13, 2023, 08:33:25 PM
Perhaps, especially in light of the state raising the speed limit on comparable roads in western and south-central Kentucky.

You can see some of the new alignment in this aerial: https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5520375,-88.3284186,9621m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

And StreetView JUST MISSED going on it, as they drove past it in October '23.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/egsjHCtwspony5an7

GCrites

At least the Google Car has gone through twice in the past couple years. Maybe it finally stopped going through the same suburban subdivisions over and over and started going through Appalachia for the first time since 2007 or 2012.

The Ghostbuster

Are they planning to build a US 641 bypass of Murray? It looks like an eastern bypass of the city could potentially be constructed.

Rothman

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 14, 2023, 11:06:38 AM
At least the Google Car has gone through twice in the past couple years. Maybe it finally stopped going through the same suburban subdivisions over and over and started going through Appalachia for the first time since 2007 or 2012.
...while leaving a whole lot of rural KY with GSV from 2009 or whatnot.  Google just doesn't care.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 14, 2023, 11:39:53 AM
Are they planning to build a US 641 bypass of Murray? It looks like an eastern bypass of the city could potentially be constructed.

It's outlined in the Murray Small Urban Area planning study.

I believe a bypass is warranted as US 641 runs adjacent to the university. This road should feature a "road diet" with enhanced pedestrian-centered features to improve safety. These needs align with public feedback gathered through surveys. Additionally, the city has plans to develop this area for higher-density use, including student housing and other urban projects, in the coming years.

Currently, there are two proposed bypass routes - one to the east and another to the west, although these are still in the conceptual stage. The east bypass, estimated to cost $20 million, is identified as a high priority. In contrast, the west bypass, with an estimated cost of $64 million, is considered a low priority. The east bypass would link to the "Murray Business Loop," a project planned for 2024-25. This loop is designed to connect US 641 Business and KY 121 to KY 94, and the bypass would extend north to KY 80. For a view of this plan, refer to the map on page VI.

Page 36 has another east bypass proposal from 2004 that connects US 641 south of the city to KY 80 north of the city. I can't recall if any of this is in the STIP but from the way it reads in the planning study, nothing is concrete and would need to undergo further planning and analysis.

ThatRandomOshawott

Quote from: seicer on November 14, 2023, 02:52:07 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 14, 2023, 11:39:53 AM

It's outlined in the Murray Small Urban Area planning study.

I believe a bypass is warranted as US 641 runs adjacent to the university. This road should feature a "road diet" with enhanced pedestrian-centered features to improve safety. These needs align with public feedback gathered through surveys. Additionally, the city has plans to develop this area for higher-density use, including student housing and other urban projects, in the coming years.

Currently, there are two proposed bypass routes - one to the east and another to the west, although these are still in the conceptual stage. The east bypass, estimated to cost $20 million, is identified as a high priority. In contrast, the west bypass, with an estimated cost of $64 million, is considered a low priority. The east bypass would link to the "Murray Business Loop," a project planned for 2024-25. This loop is designed to connect US 641 Business and KY 121 to KY 94, and the bypass would extend north to KY 80. For a view of this plan, refer to the map on page VI.

Page 36 has another east bypass proposal from 2004 that connects US 641 south of the city to KY 80 north of the city. I can't recall if any of this is in the STIP but from the way it reads in the planning study, nothing is concrete and would need to undergo further planning and analysis.

US 641 (12th Street) through Murray remains the major north-south route through the city, and traffic during the university's school year can be a pain, especially in the stretch between the 121 "Bypass" and Main Street. Almost every fast food restaurant and chain store is on 12th Street, with the ones not on it being adjacent to it. My father reports hearing a trucker call Murray "Little Evansville" because "you can't get through it."
A bypass would definitely alleviate 641's congestion, especially as the city grows and more businesses are added to the city's portfolio. Two restaurants are currently under construction, in fact: Seven Brew Coffee (on 12th Street beside Captain D's) and Texas Roadhouse (where Ryan's/Hibachi King used to be on the 121 "Bypass")

seicer

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/1ff6f05bf7bf4e2b90382ba31f2fa298

"The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is conducting a planning study along KY 168 Blackburn Avenue/Wheatley Road between US 60 in Ashland and Hoods Creek Pike in Westwood--a distance of about 1.7 miles. This study will analyze existing conditions and proposed future traffic to identify options for improving mobility and safety for all users along the KY 168 corridor."

It looks like the Iroquois Avenue leg of the five-way intersection at US 60/KY 168 may be closing for good if the improvements get underway (A2). The longer turn lanes on both US 60 and KY 168 are long needed (A3).

Generally, the road needs slightly wider lanes and standardized sidewalks on one side of the road. There are too many areas where the sidewalks don't exist, too narrow, or obstructed with poles and fire hydrants.

KYTC is collecting community input through December 1, 2023 and will wrap up the study in early 2024.

wriddle082

Quote from: seicer on November 28, 2023, 10:07:26 AM
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/1ff6f05bf7bf4e2b90382ba31f2fa298

"The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) is conducting a planning study along KY 168 Blackburn Avenue/Wheatley Road between US 60 in Ashland and Hoods Creek Pike in Westwood--a distance of about 1.7 miles. This study will analyze existing conditions and proposed future traffic to identify options for improving mobility and safety for all users along the KY 168 corridor."

It looks like the Iroquois Algonquin Avenue leg of the five-way intersection at US 60/KY 168 may be closing for good if the improvements get underway (A2). The longer turn lanes on both US 60 and KY 168 are long needed (A3).

Generally, the road needs slightly wider lanes and standardized sidewalks on one side of the road. There are too many areas where the sidewalks don't exist, too narrow, or obstructed with poles and fire hydrants.

KYTC is collecting community input through December 1, 2023 and will wrap up the study in early 2024.

That intersection and stretch of Blackburn/Wheatley has been a big part of my life growing up, as my mom, brothers, and I lived off of 13th St (US 60) and my grandparents lived off of Wheatley.

Yes, the left turn lanes have been completely inadequate since at least the 80's.  But the biggest issue I'm seeing is how are they going to acquire any land to make any improvements?  Sure, closing off the Algonquin (FIFY above) leg, or at least making it RIRO, will help, but it's not necessarily going to create room for longer turn lanes, since two out of five corners have buildings built up to the sidewalks.

seicer

It looks like they will be cutting into the land on the east side of US 60 to add the right turn lane and elongate the left turn lane. The Tudor Revival building at the southwest corner of the intersection (originally a grocery store and apartments) is being rehabilitated after being abandoned for some years. The building at the northeast corner is now occupied by a medical office.

I think a better solution would have been to have four-phase signaling so there wouldn't necessarily be a need for longer turn lanes or right-of-way width.

seicer

https://us60connectivitystudy.com/

"The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is conducting the US 60 Connectivity Study to examine the feasibility, costs, and impacts of a potential new US 60 corridor and Ohio River crossing between Barlow, KY and I-57 north of Cairo, IL."

--

I am not sure of the need for such a bridge considering the state is proposing to replace the US 51 and US 60 bridge with a new two-lane structure in the near future.

Edit: It appears that this bridge project would replace, not supplement, the US 51 and US 60 bridge between Cairo and Wickliffe. From their FAQ:

"The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's US 60 Connectivity Study (Item 1-80250) is a regional project to study an alternative route and potential new bridge crossing connecting Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois. This study is being conducted by KYTC to determine if a new corridor and river crossing would offer more long-term value to the Commonwealth and traveling public than the proposed US 51 Bridge Replacement (Item No. 1-1140) between Wickliffe, Ky., and Cairo, Il."

"Bridge construction is both expensive and long-term as bridges remain in service for many decades. With the need to replace the existing US 51 bridge connecting Wickliffe and Cairo, KYTC is considering other options proposed by local officials and stakeholders to determine an optimal solution to address long-term, cross-river mobility needs to best serve the region."

"A northern route between Barlow, Ky., and Mound City, Il., was considered as a potential alternative during the planning process for the US 51 Bridge Replacement project as a more direct connection to Interstate 57 in Illinois. A 2013 study dismissed the route early in the planning process because it did not meet a defined goal of that study to maintain travel time between Wickliffe, Ky., and Cairo, Il.

This study will not prioritize a direct connection between Wickliffe and Cairo. Instead, the US 60 Connectivity Study is gathering data based on broader, regional needs and assessing potential impacts to travel, the environment, economic development as well as estimated costs to complete."

hbelkins

Overall, a new US 60 corridor is of greater benefit to Kentucky than is maintaining the current travel time between Wickliffe and Cairo. It sounds like KYTC moved the goalposts a bit to get a more desired result.

I'm not sure how far west of Paducah the four-lane US 60 extends, but that route has been incrementally widened westward the past few years.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2023, 10:35:31 AM
Overall, a new US 60 corridor is of greater benefit to Kentucky than is maintaining the current travel time between Wickliffe and Cairo. It sounds like KYTC moved the goalposts a bit to get a more desired result.

I'm not sure how far west of Paducah the four-lane US 60 extends, but that route has been incrementally widened westward the past few years.

Last time I was down there (within the past 2 years), the four-lane still ended just east of Kevil. I don't recall any construction ongoing at that time.

I'll be interested to see how well they can sell the projected $1.2-1.3 billion cost, environmental impacts and so on, all in the interest of saving 10 minutes of drive time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.