News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seicer

A super-two bypass is being planned for Kevil extending west to La Center. Traffic counts decrease significantly west of West Paducah, but if the goal is to provide regional connectivity, a two-lane bridge west of Barlow would probably still suffice. It isn't going to provide connectivity that doesn't already exist at Cairo.

JREwing78

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on December 01, 2023, 07:28:26 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 01, 2023, 10:35:31 AM
Overall, a new US 60 corridor is of greater benefit to Kentucky than is maintaining the current travel time between Wickliffe and Cairo. It sounds like KYTC moved the goalposts a bit to get a more desired result.

I'm not sure how far west of Paducah the four-lane US 60 extends, but that route has been incrementally widened westward the past few years.

Last time I was down there (within the past 2 years), the four-lane still ended just east of Kevil. I don't recall any construction ongoing at that time.

I'll be interested to see how well they can sell the projected $1.2-1.3 billion cost, environmental impacts and so on, all in the interest of saving 10 minutes of drive time.

They could certainly sell it on economic development. This would directly connect to both the I-57 extension to Little Rock and the existing US-60 4-lane to Springfield, MO. Combine that with the W. Kentucky Parkway and you have a viable E-W path as an alternative to I-40 or I-64, one certainly worth of an Interstate shield. One could also extend this corridor further west to Wichita, KS following US-400, and maybe even farther west still.

Put this all together, and this highway would interconnect with every N-S Interstate from I-35 to I-75. It could make Paducah and Cairo major logistics hubs servicing a huge swath of the country.

If I was involved with economic development in western Kentucky, I would be schmoozing every politician I could to make this happen.

My totally fictional line on a map: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Cg5D88eRgnUnDasm6

Rothman

Call it...I-86...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

seicer

Consider the example of Interstate 66, which was once proposed to extend through an area similar to Cairo.

Regarding economic development, it's important to recall Cairo's history as a logistics hub during the steamboat and ferry eras. The construction of the railroad bridge over the Ohio River, followed by two automobile bridges, marked a significant economic shift for the city. The introduction of diesel tugs, which reduced the need for layovers in Cairo, was a major blow to the local economy. Additionally, longstanding racial tensions have further complicated the city's economic challenges, leaving only a handful of industries and businesses currently operating in Cairo. It's unlikely that a new interstate would directly address these deep-rooted issues.

However, there is a positive aspect to consider: the construction of a new interstate would at least ensure a seismically sound connection between the two states. This could provide some infrastructure stability and potentially contribute to future opportunities

Georgia Guardrail

Finally the Leestown Road/New Circle Road DDI is starting construction. 

https://www.lex18.com/news/changes-coming-to-new-circle-road-and-leestown-road-interchange

I am assuming this also means that the New Circle Road bridges over Leestown Road and the railroad crossing before Georgetown Road will be torn down and replaced with wider structures?

seicer

Correct - these will be replaced with wider structures with full width shoulders.

seicer

A deadly stretch of New Circle Road is going to be redesigned with $21.7 million

"The federal government has awarded Lexington nearly $22 million to make much-needed improvements to New Circle Road on the city's north side.

The project will include reconstruction of New Circle Road from Boardwalk to Bryan Station Road. It will include new interchanges. Plans also call for bike and pedestrian paths. Currently there are no pedestrian and bike paths in that area. The project will also make it more user-friendly for Lextran users.

From 2015 to 2021, that section of New Circle Road experienced the highest number of Lexington's fatal and serious injury crashes.

There were 34 fatal or severe crashes during that period. Nearly half of those — 44% — were people walking or bicycling, according to data provided by the city. More than 40,000 vehicles travel that section of road every day."

--

This project entails the construction of numerous RCUT intersections at Boardwalk, Russell Cave, N. Limestone, Golden Way, shared 10' paths on one or both sides of New Circle, and pedestrian crossing enhancements throughout. It doesn't look like the road will be widened to six lanes which it sorely needs between two six-lane segments.

Project website: https://www.imaginenewcircle.org/

hbelkins

Those RCUTs on a busy road like New Circle will go over like a wet fart in church.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Georgia Guardrail

Where will the new interchanges (not including RCUTS) be?  I'm assuming they are going to have Russell Cave and Broadway be SPUIs over New Circle Road like Winchester Road.  I think an original plan 20 years ago called for SPUIs to be constructed there.

seicer

There will be no new interchanges, just RCUTs. There was a study conducted years ago, with a full freeway proposal for that half of New Circle Road, but it was just that, one of many alternatives that never came to fruition. It would be prohibitively expensive.

Georgia Guardrail

Figures, the price tag should have been a clue. $22 million would barely cover one bridge let alone two.  Disappointing.  I feel they also cheaped out on the I64/I75 widening by not actually "widening" the road but instead restriping it and upgrading the median barrier. 

seicer

KYTC is planning to improve US 60 in the vicinity of the Rock Crusher Curve east of Olive Hill to the Interstate 64 interchange: https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictNine/Pages/US-60-Carter-Olive-Hill.aspx

milbfan

Just a gripe here...

Got off on Man O'War from I-75 in Lexington, near Hamburg Pavilion.  Greeted with an electronic sign reminding folks that it is a violation to block the intersection of a red light.  Agree, but...

Shouldn't they be talking to the traffic engineers about the clump of traffic lights on Sir Barton anyway?  Coming back out is bad, because right until the intersection with Man O'War, you have two lanes that suddenly become four.  If you're trying to get back to 75 and are in the right lane, you're hosed, unless someone is nice enough to let you in.  There is one black-and-white sign, but it isn't posted until you're almost on top of the intersection.

*stares at LPD and the traffic engineers with the anger of those caught in 1000 back-ups on US 280 in the Birmingham area.*

GCrites

Other bands play, Man 'O War kills

hbelkins

Quote from: milbfan on January 16, 2024, 10:29:10 AM
Just a gripe here...

Got off on Man O'War from I-75 in Lexington, near Hamburg Pavilion.  Greeted with an electronic sign reminding folks that it is a violation to block the intersection of a red light.  Agree, but...

Shouldn't they be talking to the traffic engineers about the clump of traffic lights on Sir Barton anyway?  Coming back out is bad, because right until the intersection with Man O'War, you have two lanes that suddenly become four.  If you're trying to get back to 75 and are in the right lane, you're hosed, unless someone is nice enough to let you in.  There is one black-and-white sign, but it isn't posted until you're almost on top of the intersection.

*stares at LPD and the traffic engineers with the anger of those caught in 1000 back-ups on US 280 in the Birmingham area.*

Since 99 percent of the time, I'm leaving Lexington via I-64 east (or US 60), I avoid that mess by going north on Sir Barton to Winchester Road, and then either taking US 60 or I-64 from there.

At one time, Sir Barton was noted as "PVT" on the street signs, as it was part of a private development. I'm not sure if LFUCG took over control of that street or not. But yeah, Hamburg has always been a traffic cluster foxtrot.

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 16, 2024, 07:16:25 PM
Other bands play, Man 'O War kills

When they hit town, signals explode.

GCrites

now every light you see is green like in Wheels of Fire

hbelkins

Kentucky's recommended highway plan has been released and is in the hands of the legislature now.

The most interesting thing I saw was a proposal to study reopening the Nolan Toll Bridge between Kentucky and West Virginia. I was under the impression that the construction of Corridor G (US 119) with its two crossings of the Kentucky/West Virginia state line had eliminated the need for the crossing at that location.

seicer

That's interesting. It's a 13.5-mile detour to Warfield KY and Kermit WV to the north and a 4-mile detour to the south.

--

Looks like the plan is located at https://transportation.ky.gov/Program-Management/Pages/default.aspx

madbengalsfan85

So I'm guessing once they're finished with widening 64/75 between exit 113-115, southern split to 113 is the next segment

seicer

KYTC has released its planning study around the Smith Grove interchange of I-65: https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/Smiths%20Grove%20Final%20Report.pdf

It's good to see Kentucky embrace roundabouts. In this case, the center turn lane is being eliminated by a hard barrier, with turns restricted to right-in and right-out.

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on January 28, 2024, 12:40:54 PM
KYTC has released its planning study around the Smith Grove interchange of I-65: https://transportation.ky.gov/Planning/Planning%20Studies%20and%20Reports/Smiths%20Grove%20Final%20Report.pdf

It's good to see Kentucky embrace roundabouts. In this case, the center turn lane is being eliminated by a hard barrier, with turns restricted to right-in and right-out.

Wonder if Buc-ee's is ponying up some money for those improvements?

seicer

It looks like they will be providing funding for improvements on their side of the interchange, which includes a dedicated roundabout for their business.

madbengalsfan85

Quote from: seicer on January 29, 2024, 04:55:51 PM
It looks like they will be providing funding for improvements on their side of the interchange, which includes a dedicated roundabout for their business.

They do love their roundabouts *glares at Richmond Buc-ee's*

seicer

Those work surprisingly well with the amount of traffic it receives. I wish they would convert the traffic signals/stop-controlled intersections at Interstate 75 and Duncannon Road (future KY Route 52) into roundabouts.

Georgia Guardrail

Does anyone know anything about the recent alterations they are doing to a lot of the freeway bridges with bar railings?  They seem to be getting rid of the one bar railings and turning them into modified concrete barriers.  See the I-75/I-71 south interchange below. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.876811,-84.625189,3a,75y,112.28h,100.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_68qeRWD4fo4o4LVsjxIjg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

They've also done this with New Circle Road in Lexington.  Also with the I-265/I-64 interchange.

Any reason?  I personally don't care for the aesthetic.  This modified bridge railing looks incomplete and too short like this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.