News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

East-West travel though Columbus, OH?

Started by jwags, July 09, 2011, 09:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwags

I'm leaving for a trip in a week and I was wonering if I should go through Columbus on I-70 or around it on I-270.  I would be going though at around 6PM on a Sunday night.

sandwalk

Columbus isn't that bad really.  You will be driving through at an off-peak time so any traffic woes will be limited.  I'd take 70.

6a

Eastbound 70 going through downtown has a lane taken away on the bridge over the Scioto River, but that only causes problems during peak hours. Shouldn't have any issues during the weekend though. Wave at me when you fly by :)

Sykotyk

Generally, you'll be fine. Even in rush hour, I-70 isn't that bad. I-270 is best used for local short travel, or going from one freeway to another (such as I-71 South to I-70 West, etc). One good way around is I-670 east to I-71 South to I-70 East. More lanes of travel, less bottlenecking, hardly any extra distance.

vtk

Sykotyk's alternate for EB is a decent idea, involving essentially no lane changes downtown.  Besides that, there's really no reason to take a longer route to get "around" congestion in Columbus; in rush hour, I-270 gets just as congested as the radial freeways.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Unless you get unlucky and come upon an accident on the innerbelt (I-70/71 section) you should be fine driving I-70 through Columbus at any time on a Sunday.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jwags

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 10, 2011, 05:03:21 PM
Generally, you'll be fine. Even in rush hour, I-70 isn't that bad. I-270 is best used for local short travel, or going from one freeway to another (such as I-71 South to I-70 West, etc). One good way around is I-670 east to I-71 South to I-70 East. More lanes of travel, less bottlenecking, hardly any extra distance.

I'm going to use this suggestion.  Thanks everyone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.