News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 05, 2019, 12:24:25 PM

KYTC might as well Decommission KY 841 beyond the I-65/265 junction now. It is an unnecessary redundancy now, with the route north/east of I-71 now officially I-265

I have often wondered why KY 841 b/w US 31W/60 and I-65 isn't already I-265.  Was built in the same era, to the same standards, and leads to a road that eventually leads to a military base.  If I-635 in Dallas can have its arbitrary northern end at an airport and carry an even numbered prefix, then so should I-265.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on June 05, 2019, 01:17:23 PM

KYTC might as well Decommission KY 841 beyond the I-65/265 junction now. It is an unnecessary redundancy now, with the route north/east of I-71 now officially I-265

I have often wondered why KY 841 b/w US 31W/60 and I-65 isn't already I-265.  Was built in the same era, to the same standards, and leads to a road that eventually leads to a military base.  If I-635 in Dallas can have its arbitrary northern end at an airport and carry an even numbered prefix, then so should I-265.

Agreed, especially since the exit numbers start at US 31W/60 and don't reset when the freeway crosses I-65.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheStranger

Quote from: hbelkins on June 06, 2019, 12:36:32 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on June 05, 2019, 01:17:23 PM

Agreed, especially since the exit numbers start at US 31W/60 and don't reset when the freeway crosses I-65.

I'll even say this:

When I-276's eastern end was the unnumbered New Jersey Turnpike extension (before this became part of I-95 officially last year), that already showed that the "even first digit" rules for 3di were never that strict to begin with.  Since then, the 635 extension and the extension of I-495 from the Clearview Expressway east to Riverhead, NY have added to this (notwithstanding a situation where a connection wasn't finished, i.e. I-280 in San Francisco's Mission Bay neighborhood).

Chris Sampang

2trailertrucker

They are signing the mileposts with the I-265 shields from the I-65 exit eastward. They are at the 9 mm before they go back to the IN-265 shields.

jnewkirk77

The annual 2.5% toll increase on the I-65 and I-265 bridges takes effect July 1.

For passenger vehicles:  If you have a prepaid account and transponder, the toll will go from $2.05 to $2.10. If you have a prepaid account and no transponder, it will be $3.16. And finally, if you prefer to use your license plate and pay by mail, each crossing is $4.20.

Rates for larger vehicles range up to a maximum of $12.61.

More: https://www.wave3.com/2019/06/12/riverlink-toll-rates-increase-july/

ilpt4u

The toll is the same Downtown as on I-265? Thats...interesting

I would give at least a small discount to encourage use of the Bypass (or, to put it another way, charge a surcharge on the Downtown route) - especially at Rush Hour times...

Maybe the math doesn't work, if tolls are structured in that manner

silverback1065

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 14, 2019, 09:55:53 AM
The annual 2.5% toll increase on the I-65 and I-265 bridges takes effect July 1.

For passenger vehicles:  If you have a prepaid account and transponder, the toll will go from $2.05 to $2.10. If you have a prepaid account and no transponder, it will be $3.16. And finally, if you prefer to use your license plate and pay by mail, each crossing is $4.20.

the media keeps reporting this every year as if it was unexpected. i'm glad you cleared this up. i didn't know this was an annual thing.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 14, 2019, 12:13:23 PM

I would give at least a small discount to encourage use of the Bypass (or, to put it another way, charge a surcharge on the Downtown route) - especially at Rush Hour times...

The whole thing was one project, so the reasoning was, one price structure for both crossings.  Although I must admit, I like your idea of the discount to encourage use of 265. It's a nice drive, and traffic isn't bad at all. Plus, if you're going from Indiana to I-71, with the new higher speed limit on 265, it actually is a little bit quicker to go around than straight through on 64. 

jnewkirk77

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2019, 12:25:00 PM
Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 14, 2019, 09:55:53 AM

/

the media keeps reporting this every year as if it was unexpected. i'm glad you cleared this up. i didn't know this was an annual thing.

I get a notice in June each year warning me of the change, since I have an account and transponders. We don't go to Louisville all that often, but enough that it made a difference to save some money and hassle.

mrsman

Maybe it will have the opposite effect.  If the toll on I-65 is too high, more people will be encouraged to take US 31 for free.

ilpt4u

Quote from: mrsman on July 12, 2019, 02:41:07 PM

Maybe it will have the opposite effect.  If the toll on I-65 is too high, more people will be encouraged to take US 31 for free.
Thats why Tolling studies are done! The expected result does not always match studied results

hbelkins

^^^

It's not worth it to me to have to battle the traffic lights in downtown Louisville to use the US 31 bridge, or go out of the way to use I-64 and then back to I-265.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: mrsman on July 12, 2019, 02:41:07 PM

According to this year's annual report, AADT on the Clark Bridge (US 31) has increased by 75% from 2013 to 2018, and on the Sherman Minton (I-64) it increased by 23% over the same period, so I'd say they don't need any further encouragement.

formulanone

Any word if RiverLink will be interoperable with SunPass, since it accepts EZPass?

I'm going up that way in a few weeks, and was curious if I wouldn't have to bother opening an account with a minimum of $20 - it's not a route I take often enough to set-up, but save on getting billed double the amount.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: formulanone on July 31, 2019, 04:44:09 PM
Any word if RiverLink will be interoperable with SunPass, since it accepts EZPass?

I'm going up that way in a few weeks, and was curious if I wouldn't have to bother opening an account with a minimum of $20 - it's not a route I take often enough to set-up, but save on getting billed double the amount.

I don't believe SunPass is an option. You might give RiverLink a call, though, just to be sure.

RoadWarrior56

PeachPass from Georgia doesn't work on those bridges (believe me, I know), I am 99% sure that SunPass doesn't work on them either, since PeachPass is interoperable with SunPass.  The lack of interoperability of the various toll collection systems is one of my biggest gripes in this industry.  Can't they standardize on something?  I think if they did, there might be more acceptance from the public at large for some of the various tolling proposals.

hbelkins

Not sure, but I do know that my West Virginia E-ZPass works fine on it, and it also worked fine on the NC 540 toll road a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, SunPass works with the NC 540 toll system, but that doesn't mean it also works with any E-ZPass system since E-ZPass also works in NC.

vdeane

Question: is RiverLink a full member of the IAG, or an affiliate?  The reason both SunPass and E-ZPass work in NC is because NC is actually an independent toll group (QuckPass) interoperable with both and not actually an E-ZPass member agency of the IAG.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wriddle082

Quote from: hbelkins on August 01, 2019, 02:41:38 PM
Not sure, but I do know that my West Virginia E-ZPass works fine on it, and it also worked fine on the NC 540 toll road a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, SunPass works with the NC 540 toll system, but that doesn't mean it also works with any E-ZPass system since E-ZPass also works in NC.

NCTA accepts their own NC Quick Pass (which comes in (no cost) decal, ($7.40 + tax) EZPass form, or ($16.49 + tax) EZPass Flex form), EZPass, SunPass, and Peach Pass, which probably makes them the most flexible regarding toll system acceptance.  SC's Palmetto Pass isn't interoperable with anybody else, but they're not making any money on either one of their toll roads, so no real incentive to upgrade their systems for interoperability.  Which is why I have NC Quick Pass EZPass boxes in my vehicles.

formulanone

I called up RiverLink, and the answer for SunPass interoperability was: "Not at this time."

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 27, 2018, 11:09:54 AM
I have no idea what the holdup is in getting IN 265/KY 861 designated as I-265 between I-65 and I-71. 

I am back in the area for a couple days.  Despite the fact the route has received the I-265 designation from AASHTO, it still isn't signed.  Anyone local have any idea what the holdup is?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

The Ghostbuster

I doubt they will ever do this, but on the Kentucky segment of Interstate 265, I think that the KY-841 designation should be truncated to end at Exit 10 (Interstate 65) and only run west of that point to Exit 1 (US 31W/60). I believe they should have done this a long time ago, since an Interstate 265/KY 841 duplex seems like overkill to me.

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 23, 2019, 02:06:36 PM
I doubt they will ever do this, but on the Kentucky segment of Interstate 265, I think that the KY-841 designation should be truncated to end at Exit 10 (Interstate 65) and only run west of that point to Exit 1 (US 31W/60). I believe they should have done this a long time ago, since an Interstate 265/KY 841 duplex seems like overkill to me.

They really should extend 265 west to Dixie Highway. It's on the NHS and is the major route to Ft. Knox.

Go to the Comments page on the KYTC website and submit the question about when 265 will be signed. They'll answer it. I know they were in a huge hurry to get 165 signed, to the point of putting temporary signs up with the designation before permanent ones could be installed.

JMoses24

Still wasn't signed when I went through Louisville in December.

I'm wondering if they're not going to just wait until they're done with the new "I-Move" megaproject on 71, 64 and 265.

chays

Any word on if/when the exction between I-65 and I-71 will be signed as I-265?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.