News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theline

What a gorgeous bridge! Too bad about the pathetic-looking docks in the foreground.

Henry

Quote from: theline on November 09, 2012, 04:27:54 PM
What a gorgeous bridge! Too bad about the pathetic-looking docks in the foreground.
Yes, it is. Reminds me of the Sunshine Skyway in the Tampa Bay area, with some notable differences.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ShawnP

ShawnP

Major Construction starts with both projects next summer with a Oct. 2016 completion on the east end roads and bridges and December 2016 on the downtown bridge and Spaghetti Junction. They plan on controlling construction times during the Derby weekend and Thunder over Louisville (never been try Thunder.....very beautiful from the Indiana side with Louisville sky line in the background). Plans are 10 bucks for Tractor Trailers, 5 bucks for Panel Trucks and 2 bucks for all others except frequent users which will be a buck. I live West of town off I-64 so I might use 5-10 times a month to go shopping in Louisville (mainly use I-265 and backdoor into the Highlands and the Malls). Not a big fan of tolls but to get it done it has to be tolled.

theline

Quote from: ShawnP on November 16, 2012, 05:14:07 PM
Not a big fan of tolls but to get it done it has to be tolled.

Tolls on bridges nover never bother me, though I've never lived in a place where I had to cross them on a regular basis. When you consider the high cost of many bridges, it seems reasonable to have the burden on the users. With transponders, it's relatively painless.

hbelkins

Quote from: ShawnP on November 16, 2012, 05:14:07 PM
Major Construction starts with both projects next summer with a Oct. 2016 completion on the east end roads and bridges and December 2016 on the downtown bridge and Spaghetti Junction. They plan on controlling construction times during the Derby weekend and Thunder over Louisville (never been try Thunder.....very beautiful from the Indiana side with Louisville sky line in the background). Plans are 10 bucks for Tractor Trailers, 5 bucks for Panel Trucks and 2 bucks for all others except frequent users which will be a buck. I live West of town off I-64 so I might use 5-10 times a month to go shopping in Louisville (mainly use I-265 and backdoor into the Highlands and the Malls). Not a big fan of tolls but to get it done it has to be tolled.

If you want to host a Louisville meet sometime once both projects are underway, I'd be willing to help with logistics. Could also see the new SPUI at Westport Road and I-264, the new slip ramp to KY 22, and perhaps a few other things.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thefro

The toll will be well worth the money for people who want to get to the E side of Louisville from S. Indiana (or to Cincy or WVa).  Would have taken it to work every day back when I worked in Louisville.  Even after they get Spaghetti Junction fixed there's still going to be lots of traffic there and on the bridges at rush hour and I-64/I-264 is a bottleneck as well.

Glad to see the downtown bridge & Spaghetti Junction upgrades finally scheduled to start as well.

NWI_Irish96

OK, not pertinent to the Bridges project but didn't want to start a new thread:  Traffic guy on FOX 41 this morning when discussing Black Friday traffic mentioned heavy traffic on IN 131.  I don't know exactly when IN 131 was decommissioned, but it was before I moved here in 2006.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 23, 2012, 09:09:14 AM
OK, not pertinent to the Bridges project but didn't want to start a new thread:  Traffic guy on FOX 41 this morning when discussing Black Friday traffic mentioned heavy traffic on IN 131.  I don't know exactly when IN 131 was decommissioned, but it was before I moved here in 2006.

At least he didn't call it SR 231 - which is what it was before it was SR 131.

hbelkins

Saw a blurb in yesterday's Lexington paper about a business group from a couple of the cities across the river from Louisville filing a suit, trying to keep tolls off the new bridges, saying it would hurt their businesses. One other city (I think Jeffersonville) was considering joining in.

ShawnP

Yes Rocky's in one of the main folks doing this. The tolls really hit Indiana residents with a double whammy.

Alps

If they don't want to pay tolls on the new bridges, let them use the ones they have now.

hbelkins

What did they ever decide on, anyway? I know no tolls on the I-64 and US 31 bridges. Definitely a toll on the new (northbound) I-65 bridge. Will there be a toll on the existing I-65 bridge?

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on November 23, 2012, 08:06:57 PM
What did they ever decide on, anyway? I know no tolls on the I-64 and US 31 bridges. Definitely a toll on the new (northbound) I-65 bridge. Will there be a toll on the existing I-65 bridge?
What about I-265, or is that too far away to define?

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on November 23, 2012, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 23, 2012, 08:06:57 PM
What about I-265, or is that too far away to define?

Definitely a toll in the new East End Bridge. I don't know if that bridge is going to be a part of the lawsuit or not, but since the entire two-bridges plan is essentially one huge project, you never know.

mukade

Another public forum was held Saturday on the Ohio River Bridges Project, and tolls were again the big issue for people with concerns about the plan to build two new bridges connecting Kentucky and Indiana...

Full article: Tolls remain a sticking point at Ohio River Bridges Project meeting (News and Tribune)

ShawnP

vtk

Are plans available for what Spaghetti Junction 2.0 will look like?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

seicer

Pretty much the same. I don't think they will be moving it further out of Butchertown, unfortunately. And unfortunately, they will not be removing the I-64 riverfront freeway.

A FYI, demolition has begun on properties for the new downtown bridge.

hbelkins

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Yep. Removing the I-64 freeway between I-65 and I-264 would really screw up Louisville traffic.

ShawnP

NO keep I-64.

That's my main way into downtown Louisville.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.