News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 26 (Sunset Hwy) gets an exit number at I-405

Started by Bickendan, January 28, 2013, 06:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Driving back from a concert in Forest Grove yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to see ODOT giving the Sunset's eastern terminal point an exit number (74). This is marked on a new BGS about 1/4 mile west of the Canyon Rd/Jefferson St exit (73) and at the gore point of the Market St ramp itself with a new (left!) exit sign (the ramp to I-405 north hasn't been signed yet), along with new double, solid white lane No Lane Change dividers s at the final approach into and through the Vista Ridge Tunnel (not that it stops anyone from squeezing in from the middle Market St lane into the I-405 south lane at the last moment).

As Market St is now marked with a left exit sign, it reinforces the point that US 26 no longer goes down the Market/Clay couplet or along Naito Pkwy to the Ross Island Interchange, instead along I-405 and through the 3rd and Arthur maze.

As I didn't know about this before hand, I didn't have my camera to snap pictures, nor has Google Street View caught up with this.

NE2

It's not on ODOT's video log either (June 2012).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KEK Inc.

I think I noticed it when I was down there for winter break a month ago.  I always lane change in the tunnel.  People are so slow between Sylvan and downtown Portland...  I slow down to let some guy in, and he slows down to 40 when he gets in front of me.  Hell yeah, I'm going to pass him.
Take the road less traveled.

sp_redelectric

The recent repaving job on the Sunset has resulted in quite a few new signs:

"Speed Limit 50" signs replacing the old "Speed 50" signs, however the signs are more appropriately sized for two-lane roads and not seven lane wide freeways (and one of them is installed in the middle of a mismash of construction signs)

The "Oregon Zoo" now has an exit (no longer just "Zoo") and the exit tabs are right-justified, not center

The aforementioned signs - BFHGS (big freakin' humongous green sign) - for the three-way split at the end of the freeway.  One of the sign bridges for the old-style signs is still up.  Interestingly the new signs are not of the new style with the European style up-arrows (like on I-5/I-205 NB, I-5/I-405 NB) but have lane arrows.  And also only the ramp to Market Street has an exit number; the ramps to 405 NB and SB do not.

The huge "SLOW" sign has been replaced, sans its flashing lights, and the typeface on the new sign is changed.

Tarkus

I was quite shocked when I saw the Exit 74 signs as well over the weekend.  My guess as to why they didn't number the I-405 ones has to do with the fact that I-405 is the terminus of the Sunset Hwy section of US-26.  But it's still kind of a peculiar setup.

Quote from: sp_redelectric on January 29, 2013, 12:10:39 AM
"Speed Limit 50" signs replacing the old "Speed 50" signs, however the signs are more appropriately sized for two-lane roads and not seven lane wide freeways (and one of them is installed in the middle of a mismash of construction signs)

Sadly, I've been noticing those "un-Oregonian" signs popping up with much more frequency around the state.  Having grown up with the Oregon "limit-less" design with the larger numerals, I have a hard time reading these new ones.  Size-wise, those really aren't any smaller than the "large" versions of those signs used in other states.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Tarkus on January 30, 2013, 10:25:50 PMSize-wise, those really aren't any smaller than the "large" versions of those signs used in other states.

I swear the signs newly installed on 26 are smaller!  The ones installed elsewhere - notably on 205 and 84 - seem to be on par with WSDOT and elsewhere.

The Sunset will be closed again tonight or tomorrow night for more sign work.

Sd_fan2119

I live in Beaverton and commute to SE Portland so I have seen a lot of these new signs. One I do find odd is the 405-S/US-26 E exit (in the far right lane as you approach the tunnel) only has Salem as a control city. I'm thinking Gresham and possibly Mt. Hood should be marked on here. Additionally, the first exit on 405-S for US-26 E (about 1/2 mile ahead) has no control cities, just "Ross Island Bridge). Both Gresham and Mt. Hood are marked as you merge onto the RI bridge and cross it, but you would think these would be marked on busy freeways like 405 and 26 if they're marked here.

JasonOfORoads

Time to revive a dead post!

Quote from: sp_redelectric on January 29, 2013, 12:10:39 AMAnd also only the ramp to Market Street has an exit number; the ramps to 405 NB and SB do not.

Oregon really does not like to number exits at its freeway termini.  Most of the time, it doesn't cause any disparity in the numbering, except on I-405 where the numbers progress 1D, 1C, [I-5 Ramps].  The only other exception was when the Belt Line Highway received exit numbers for its junction with I-5.  (However, ODOT messed that up by numbering them 12A and 12B when there was already an Exit 12.  Seriously ODOT, what are we -- Tennessee?)  Also, I-105's junction with I-5 received exit numbers (4AB) about a decade ago, but I'm not really counting that since the freeway continues into Springfield, though the Interstate designation does not.

I'm curious as to whether or not other termini exits will gain/regain exit numbers.  Just about every terminus has examples of these other ramps.  For example, numbering the ramp from Barnes Road as Exit 1A (or better yet, Exit 0) on OR-217.  If Exit 0 was a no-go, Oregon'd have to renumber the Walker Road ramp to Exit 1B, or Exit 1C if they decide to throw caution to the wind and number freeway termini exits from now on.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.