News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 17, 2020, 02:32:54 PM
GSV shows US 48 shields in a few recently-updated spots on the Elkins-Weston stretch - for instance, check out this massive assembly at the WV 92 intersection outside Elkins.

Nice! This can also fit nicely in the Sine Salad thread.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Mapmikey

Here is the furthest west US 48 shield...just ahead is a CORR H 0.0 mile marker

https://goo.gl/maps/8Va6w9cgq5jEnyxc8

plain

Quote from: sparker on August 17, 2020, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 17, 2020, 02:32:54 PM
GSV shows US 48 shields in a few recently-updated spots on the Elkins-Weston stretch - for instance, check out this massive assembly at the WV 92 intersection outside Elkins.

Now that's a sign salad!  Anyone got some croutons and Roquefort?  :cool:

I was in the process of saying how this could easily go in the Sine Salad thread but you beat me to it lmao. I like this assembly. It's clean!
Newark born, Richmond bred

seicer

Also of note is a 40 mile construction zone between Kerens and Buchannon. The project seems to involve concrete diamond grinding and patching - I think. Parts of the concrete were patched, others were not, but I'm not sure what work needs to be done between Kerens and Elkins - that was built in 2001-02 and is still in excellent condition. (I also cannot believe it's been 20 years!) There are portions west of Elkins that are in absolute awful condition with each joint deteriorating similar to I-88 near Cobleskill.

Bitmapped

Quote from: seicer on August 17, 2020, 03:44:36 PM
Also of note is a 40 mile construction zone between Kerens and Buchannon. The project seems to involve concrete diamond grinding and patching - I think. Parts of the concrete were patched, others were not, but I'm not sure what work needs to be done between Kerens and Elkins - that was built in 2001-02 and is still in excellent condition. (I also cannot believe it's been 20 years!) There are portions west of Elkins that are in absolute awful condition with each joint deteriorating similar to I-88 near Cobleskill.

The project is for a much-needed signage replacement. Some of the signage is pushing 30 years old and long ago lost its retroreflectivity.

The diamond grinding was done a couple years ago. The parts around the US 250/WV 92 north intersection actually had an asphalt overlay that was stripped off at the time of the diamond grinding. Full slab replacement is needed around here.

seicer

Yeah, I remembered when that had asphalt that was heaving at the intersection. It's much smoother with the concrete, although now that the pavement is ... 26 years old, is nearing the end of its life. It's only gotten noticeably bad in the past two or so years. I think that a more thorough asphalt patching and sealing is needed at the least.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 17, 2020, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on July 20, 2020, 11:47:45 AM
WVDOH posted some drone footage of construction on Corridor H. It appears to be in the vicinity of the Randolph/Tucker county line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ZBNMStKuk

I believe this is in Tucker County south of the small community of Moore. 

The road under the bridge is (for now) U.S. 219 (Seneca Trail).  Once this part of Corridor H is open, I believe U.S. 219 will move to the new highway and Seneca Trail will be signed "Old Route 219" or something similar.

That has certainly come along quickly. I traveled US 219 from WV 90 to Elkins on my way back from the Abandoned PA Turnpike meet Thanksgiving weekend before last, and saw no evidence of bridge construction along US 219.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on August 18, 2020, 10:19:55 AM
That has certainly come along quickly. I traveled US 219 from WV 90 to Elkins on my way back from the Abandoned PA Turnpike meet Thanksgiving weekend before last, and saw no evidence of bridge construction along US 219.

Note that my stating that this is the bridge over current 219 is speculative.  It looks right, however.  I hope to be out that way soon and take some fresh pictures of what is going there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Buck87

I drove Corridor H from Weston as far as Moorfield this week, which was the first time I'd seen the Weston to Scherr section.

It was foggy the morning I went from Elkins to Moorfield, so I didn't attempt any pics. When it comes to current US 219 going under any of the bridges now under construction, the only one I remember having bridge deck in place was the one immediately after you leave Corridor H at Kerens. Now there was a bridge under construction over 219 somewhere near Moore, but it was just a bridge abutment with no deck yet....and it as a towering SOB too, must have been over 100 foot tall and I could barely make out the top in the fog.

When I got to the Fred Long Centennial park scenic overlook on 219 between Parsons and Thomas it made me glad that I passed though this area before that section of Corridor H was completed, since otherwise I would have missed this spectacular view (to which this compressed pic won't do any justice):

1995hoo

Does anyone happen to recall whether any of the scenic overlooks on Corridor H (or the existing road between Thomas and Kerens) have any picnic tables? We'll be passing that way soon and we've considered the idea of just packing our lunch and stopping somewhere to eat instead of going to a fast-food place like we normally would.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 18, 2020, 08:54:14 AM
Does anyone happen to recall whether any of the scenic overlooks on Corridor H (or the existing road between Thomas and Kerens) have any picnic tables? We'll be passing that way soon and we've considered the idea of just packing our lunch and stopping somewhere to eat instead of going to a fast-food place like we normally would.

Fred Long Centennial Park, a few miles west of Thomas

Bitmapped

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 18, 2020, 10:18:51 AM

Mill Race Park in Parsons also has picnic pavilions and restrooms. It's a block off US 48/US 219.

You might also consider Blackwater Falls State Park, which is close to Corridor H near Davis and is one of West Virginia's most prominent scenic attractions.

The Ghostbuster

The Corridor H page says the portion of US 48 from Parsons to Davis won't be constructed until 2031, though Kerens to Parsons will likely be completed before then. That means US 48 won't be a completed roadway until well into the 2030s. Is funding the reason why it will take so long to finish the entire corridor?

1995hoo

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 18, 2020, 10:43:36 AM

Mill Race Park in Parsons also has picnic pavilions and restrooms. It's a block off US 48/US 219.

You might also consider Blackwater Falls State Park, which is close to Corridor H near Davis and is one of West Virginia's most prominent scenic attractions.

Thanks to both you and Mapmikey. I visited Blackwater Falls in 1992, but I don't really remember it. I suppose we could go there and then go south and take Route 72 up to the Parsons area, seeing as how the last time we passed through the area (going the other direction) we already drove the Parsons-to-Thomas segment after coming down from Philippi. Route 72 between Route 32 and US-48/219 looks like it could be a fun drive, but it also looks like it has the potential to be a very slow drive. Not sure how much drive time I want to add to the day overall because I want to allow sufficient time for a relaxed dinner when we reach our destination in Ohio.

SP Cook

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2020, 01:42:15 PM
That means US 48 won't be a completed roadway until well into the 2030s. Is funding the reason why it will take so long to finish the entire corridor?

Money and politics.  And environmental extremism. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: SP Cook on September 18, 2020, 03:17:59 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2020, 01:42:15 PM
That means US 48 won't be a completed roadway until well into the 2030s. Is funding the reason why it will take so long to finish the entire corridor?

Money and politics.  And environmental extremism. 

I wonder how much time was wasted on Corridor H in the 1990's thanks to
then-EPA Region 3 (Philadelphia) Administrator Peter Kostmayer and his
anti-highway activities? 

I understood that an (unpublished) reason for Kostmayer being fired by the Clinton
Administration was that Kostmayer was using federal tax money set-aside for
environmental education to fund "grass roots" opposition to Corridor H, and when
the late Sen. Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) found out about that, he was not happy, and
called Clinton and asked that Kostmayer be fired, which happened within a day or
two of the call from Byrd.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Has a nice  view looking west into lands drained by the Ohio River and is located on U.S. 219 here.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 18, 2020, 02:19:15 PM

Thanks to both you and Mapmikey. I visited Blackwater Falls in 1992, but I don't really remember it. I suppose we could go there and then go south and take Route 72 up to the Parsons area, seeing as how the last time we passed through the area (going the other direction) we already drove the Parsons-to-Thomas segment after coming down from Philippi. Route 72 between Route 32 and US-48/219 looks like it could be a fun drive, but it also looks like it has the potential to be a very slow drive. Not sure how much drive time I want to add to the day overall because I want to allow sufficient time for a relaxed dinner when we reach our destination in Ohio.

Very slow. The route's barely wider than one lane in most spots.

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 064 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 067 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 069 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 070 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 071 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

WV-72 between WV-32 and U.S. 219 is a slow and rather winding trip.  EDIT: Concur with what H.B. just posted about WV-72. 

U.S. 219 from Thomas to the eastern end of western ADHS Corridor H at Kerens is a road where you can drive 55 most of the way. 

There are a few sharp curves on U.S. 219 for which you must slow-down, but not that many, and in general, traffic is light on the entire segment. 

Supposedly there is sometimes speed limit enforcement within the corporate limits of Parsons, but I have never seen it myself. 

So just observe the posted speed limit through there (it's a small town with one signalized intersection), and you will be back up to 55 pretty quickly.

Bitmapped

Honestly, that part of WV 72 isn't any more scenic than US 219 or other drives in the area. It's just a slow, lowly traveled route that really doesn't merit a WV primary route designation other than to connect Hambleton and Hendricks to the route network. Unless you really want to clinch WV 72, just stick to US 219 or take WV 32 to US 33 into Elkins.

1995hoo

Thanks. Not going to do the 32-to-33 route because I've been that way in the past and I haven't used the segment of US-219/US-48 between Parsons and Elkins. Been on everything from the western WV-72 intersection in Parsons east to the state line, and been on all of it from Elkins west to I-79, but I'm missing that piece in between. Guess we'll just stick to the route via Thomas. Thanks for the warnings. We're heading to Dayton and my plan is to take I-66, Corridor H west to I-79, I-79/77/64 to US-35 all the way to Dayton, and then I'm not sure about I-675 around the city to I-70 versus I-75 (our hotel is northwest of the city closer to where the cemetery is).

amroad17

^ If you arrive in the Dayton area near evening rush hour, then taking I-675 North to I-70 West would be your better move.  However, if the cemetery is near Trotwood or Englewood, staying on US 35 West to OH 49 North on the west side of Dayton would be the best move.  US 35, after the James H. McGee Blvd interchange, and OH 49 are four-lane divided expressways with a few traffic lights.  If your hotel is at the Englewood interchange (29/OH 48), taking OH 49 to I-70 East and driving 3 miles to Englewood doesn't seem to be too much out of the way.  Off-peak, just use US 35 West-I-75 North-I-70 West.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

1995hoo

Thanks. The hotel is indeed at the Englewood exit. That's not the closest location to the cemetery, which is on Dixie Drive, but (a) we've stayed there before and know it's reliable and clean, (b) there are some nearby restaurants that we like, (c) some family friends live closer to there, and (d) it's convenient to the airport, although that no longer matters because the relative who was going to fly in is not coming due to the pandemic (I'll call him via FaceTime from the cemetery).

(Edited to add: In case I was unclear, I've been to Dayton before and my wife grew up there, so in my case the question of how to get from US-35 to Englewood will be motivated by (1) taking a new route to the extent possible and (2) whether my wife is sick of being in the car by then and being vocal about her desire to get out of the car. Hence why I speculated on I-675, as I haven't used that before.)

machpost

Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2020, 06:40:34 PM

Very slow. The route's barely wider than one lane in most spots.

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 064 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 067 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 069 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 070 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

2017 WV route-clinching trip Day 3 - 071 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

It looks like they widened Route 72 at some point by paving over the gravel berms. The last time I drove through there in the 90s it was quite treacherous in certain spots where you couldn't see the enormous pickup truck hurling toward you at 50 MPH from around the bend.

amroad17

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 22, 2020, 07:43:16 AM
Thanks. The hotel is indeed at the Englewood exit. That's not the closest location to the cemetery, which is on Dixie Drive, but (a) we've stayed there before and know it's reliable and clean, (b) there are some nearby restaurants that we like, (c) some family friends live closer to there, and (d) it's convenient to the airport, although that no longer matters because the relative who was going to fly in is not coming due to the pandemic (I'll call him via FaceTime from the cemetery).

(Edited to add: In case I was unclear, I've been to Dayton before and my wife grew up there, so in my case the question of how to get from US-35 to Englewood will be motivated by (1) taking a new route to the extent possible and (2) whether my wife is sick of being in the car by then and being vocal about her desire to get out of the car. Hence why I speculated on I-675, as I haven't used that before.)
I did not know that you and your wife were familiar with Dayton.  I was under the assumption that the area was a place that you and her had visited very rarely.  Sorry about that. 

Anyway, if your wife isn't too sick about being in the car for that long, you should try to "clinch" I-675.  You will go back a bit northeast for 13 miles to I-70, then 15 miles to the Englewood interchange.  An extra 25-30 minutes.  Bring a snack to tie you both over!  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.