News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TX: Speed limit on US 77 throigh Kenedy County

Started by oscar, March 04, 2014, 09:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

I just drove through the only highway in Kenedy County TX, US 77.  I was surprised that its speed limit is still only 70mph.  Parts of US 77 in the county to the north, including a four-lane divided section with only a painted median, were posted for 75mph.  Other south Texas counties have two-lane highways posted at 75.  Through Kenedy County, US 77 is four-lane divided with a wide median (most of it wooded), and few intersections, so combined with the county's incredibly low population density that would seem to cry out for the legal maximum for non-freeways in Texas of 75mph.

Of course, a higher speed limit would crimp a little what seems to be the county's leading industry, tending the US 77 speed trap.  I was ticketed there for 80 in a 70 ten years ago, but this time set my cruise control at 70 and was not bothered.

Anyone know why travelers through Kenedy County are stuck with a 70mph limit?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

txstateends

Other than the speed trap thing, the only other thing I can think of would be maybe having to look for loose cattle, or slow farm equipment, as that area is part of the King Ranch.  Surely that part, once it's upgraded to I-69E, will be a more uniform speed with the rest of the corridor.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

wxfree

The minute order in which the 75 mph speed limit was enacted in the Pharr district, passed in August of 2012, included a 75 mph speed limit on nearly all of US 77 in Kenedy County.  http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/adm/2012/documents/minute_orders/aug30/20g.pdf

I've seen in some places where it took more than a year before the signs were changed, while in others they started changing the signs almost immediately.  I haven't been to the Pharr district since the minute order was passed and didn't know the signs still weren't changed.  In the Corpus Christi district, which includes Kleberg County, just north of Kenedy County, they started changing the signs soon after the changes were approved.  I'm surprised that the signs still aren't changed after 18 months in the Pharr district, but it should be in the works.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

agentsteel53

once it is full interstate, will this be eligible to have speed limit raised to 80 or 85?  I'm not sure what Texas's criteria are for 85 (brand new road?  or one upgraded to look like one is sufficient?), or the county population density criterion for 80.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

texaskdog

it is not uncommon to drive on a two lane road that turns into a 4 lane and the speed limit DROPS. Drives me crazy.

wxfree

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 05, 2014, 11:34:55 AM
once it is full interstate, will this be eligible to have speed limit raised to 80 or 85?  I'm not sure what Texas's criteria are for 85 (brand new road?  or one upgraded to look like one is sufficient?), or the county population density criterion for 80.

A speed limit higher than 75 is allowed, in addition to specific stretches of I-10 and I-20 with a speed limit of 80, where the commission finds the speed to be safe and reasonable and where the roadway is designed to accommodate travel at the speed limit or a higher speed.  That seems to be open to interpretation.  I'd say that, at a minimum, the road must be a freeway.  The road being new isn't stated in the text of the law, and doesn't really make sense.  It would be hard to design a road better suited to handle 85 mph traffic than some existing portions of I-10; the fact that a road is new doesn't make it more suitable than an older road of the same design.  So far TxDOT has not used the authority under that section to increase any speed limits except on toll roads.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.