News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nearest Freeway Segment You've Never Driven

Started by webny99, July 16, 2018, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: plain on July 17, 2018, 11:36:17 AM
Great thread.

Thanks!
The idea popped into my head, and I was honestly quite surprised to find it hadn't been done before.

jon daly

Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2018, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: kurumi on July 17, 2018, 11:26:28 AM
Nearest (to where I've ever lived): also MA 57, about 35 miles away.
Heh.  Not too many Riverside/Six Flags fans on here. :D

MA-57 has a weird layout where all the exits are westbound and all the entrances are eastbound.

paulthemapguy

It's almost certainly the Bishop Ford Freeway, which is less than 45 minutes from me.  I have no reason to take it since it runs circumferential to where I live!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Nearest freeway I've yet to drive on? Oh 4, west of Springfield Ohio. (Northern end is 61 miles from home)
Nearest interstate I've yet to drive on? I-75 between I-70 and US 33 (the nearest point on I-75 from me would be 67 miles)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

AsphaltPlanet

For me, it's probably the 104 Freeway in Rochester.  There's some mileage in Cleveland that I haven't finished as well, but I think Rochester is closer, certainly it's closer to me as the crow flies.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Roadsguy

It might be the short segment of I-78 between PA 343 and US 22. I don't think I've ever been on that part at all. If I have, it'd be PA 283 between the Airport Spur and PA 230. I've never driven it all the way from Harrisburg to Lancaster.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

GenExpwy

From Wayland NY, mine would be the Lake Ontario Parkway east of NY 390, followed by a bit of NY 400 around East Aurora.

jp the roadgeek

From where I live, it would have to be the southern leg of I-684 leading to I-287.  Might have on a bus on a field trip to NYC, but I've never driven it.    I always use the Saw Mill when I head toward NYC and points southwest, and I'll use the Hutch connection going to Long Island.  That would be about 70 miles from me. Next closest is the Thruway between Exits 17 and 19, about 80 miles.  The whole 17-21A stretch is out of the way.  I've only driven 19-21A once driving from Lancaster PA to Lake George, but took US 209 as the hypotenuse of the 84/87 triangle between Port Jervis and Kingston.

MA 57 can be desolate, especially at night.  I would take it as part of the backway home from Springfield if there was night construction on I-91 or I-84.  The west end reminds me of how I-691 (then CT 66) used to end at Exit 4.  You can see where it was meant to extend beyond MA 187.  There is one EB Exit at MA 75 (creating a palindrome).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on July 17, 2018, 03:39:13 PM
MA 240, which is the only inch of freeway in my state I've never been on.

MA 240 is not a freeway. It's similar to Industrial Ave. in Haverhill (most people on this forum aren't familiar with it, but I know you are).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on July 18, 2018, 07:40:33 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on July 17, 2018, 03:39:13 PM
MA 240, which is the only inch of freeway in my state I've never been on.

MA 240 is not a freeway. It's similar to Industrial Ave. in Haverhill (most people on this forum aren't familiar with it, but I know you are).

One set of ramps followed by two traffic signals does not a freeway make.

jon daly

Quote from: webny99 on July 17, 2018, 12:28:50 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2018, 08:05:23 AM
Pfft.  Freeway segment?
What would you have preferred to answer? Nearest road in general? Nearest Hudson River Crossing?  :-D

Quote from: jon daly on July 17, 2018, 11:57:58 AM
Is this as the crow flies?  It might be the eastern part of the LIE, but I'd have to take a ferry to get there.
Sure, why not? Generally, I was thinking of over land, but whatever floats your boat (see what I did there?).

If Long Island doesn't qualify, then eastbound RI-37 might. I've driven the entire westbound portion, but not the eastbound one. If it doesn't matter which direction I took, then the answer may be the Huntington Expressway (RI-10.)

bdmoss88

I-185, I'm pretty sure I drove it from I-85 to US-80 but haven't been on it south of there.

mgk920

For me:

-- Geographically ('As the Crow Flies') closest - US 31 north of Muskegon, MI.

-- Driving distance closest - US 12 Baraboo, WI bypass.

(those two are close, distance wise)

-- Nearest tollway - IL 390 east of I-290.

An interesting case, due to where I grew up I was never on US (now 'I') 41 between Northland Ave (WI 15/County 'OO') and Richmond St (WI 47) here in Appleton, WI until after I was granted a driving license.

:meh:

Mike

jemacedo9

This was a tough one...but from SE PA, for me it's the NJ Turnpike between Exits 1 and 6, which is maybe 45 miles from me.

I-95 in DE between the northern I-495 split and US 202, is closer, and I've only driven that once.

Takumi

Unless the US 58 Emporia bypass counts, it’s either the US 29 bypass of Lynchburg or the newly-extended segment of VA 164, whichever is closer. I’ve driven every bit of freeway in the Richmond area and the rest of the freeways in Hampton Roads.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

davmillar

Honestly a large majority of the DFW area has freeways I've never driven. Most of Dallas and the mid-cities, especially. I-20 out west from here as well. Didn't realize until recently that the 20/30 merge was actually the western terminus of I-30, so that was neat to learn.
Try out my puzzle game Interst8 at https://interst8.us

bing101

CA-13 Warren Freeway, CA-163 and CA-110 are the nearest freeways I never been to.

triplemultiplex

Something in Chicago; IL 53 probably.  Was a passenger on part of it, but never drove.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 18, 2018, 01:11:45 PM
Something in Chicago; IL 53 probably.  Was a passenger on part of it, but never drove.

Looking at the OP, "drive" probably wasn't literal.

roadman

From where I live (Wakefield, MA), the nearest freeway segment I've never driven is I-295 in Maine.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on July 18, 2018, 01:21:38 PM
From where I live (Wakefield, MA), the nearest freeway segment I've never driven is I-295 in Maine.

Just making sure you have been on all of these:

• Everything in Greater Providence, including:
  •     PVD airport connector
  •     RI 10 east of I-95
  •     RI 37 west of I-295 and east of I-95
  • Circumferential Highway, Nashua, NH
  • MA 18 in New Bedford (unlike MA 240, this is a freeway for one mile)
  • Manchester NH airport connector
  • I-89 east of I-93

plain

Quote from: Takumi on July 18, 2018, 11:13:31 AM
Unless the US 58 Emporia bypass counts, it's either the US 29 bypass of Lynchburg or the newly-extended segment of VA 164, whichever is closer. I've driven every bit of freeway in the Richmond area and the rest of the freeways in Hampton Roads.

Indeed the US 58 Emporia bypass is not a full freeway as the connections to both Davis St and Reese St meets the bypass at at-grade intersections. However, I do consider the Lawrenceville bypass, about 20 miles to the west, a freeway (not sure if you've driven that or not).
Newark born, Richmond bred

Beltway

Quote from: plain on July 18, 2018, 02:47:06 PM
Quote from: Takumi on July 18, 2018, 11:13:31 AM
Unless the US 58 Emporia bypass counts, it's either the US 29 bypass of Lynchburg or the newly-extended segment of VA 164, whichever is closer. I've driven every bit of freeway in the Richmond area and the rest of the freeways in Hampton Roads.
Indeed the US 58 Emporia bypass is not a full freeway as the connections to both Davis St and Reese St meets the bypass at at-grade intersections. However, I do consider the Lawrenceville bypass, about 20 miles to the west, a freeway (not sure if you've driven that or not).

Correct on both.  These US-58 bypasses are full freeways -- Courtland, Franklin and Suffolk.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

odditude

catch22

For me, it's the section of I-469 from the US-24 interchange north and west to I-69 in Fort Wayne.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.