News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MLB Expansion Candidates

Started by Henry, February 28, 2024, 10:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which two cities should be awarded the next MLB franchises?

Austin/San Antonio, TX
5 (15.2%)
Charlotte, NC
11 (33.3%)
Mexico City, MX
3 (9.1%)
Montreal, QC
11 (33.3%)
Nashville, TN
11 (33.3%)
Orlando, FL
0 (0%)
Portland, OR
7 (21.2%)
Raleigh, NC
4 (12.1%)
San Jose, CA
3 (9.1%)
Salt Lake City, UT
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

bwana39

The A's first choice was to move to the south bay area. San Jose, Santa Clara, etc.

The Giants nixed that. Made it clear it was a no-go.

I think it would have been a good fit, but....

The again, the Austin / San Antonio areas are wide open.

DFW and Houston are the two biggest markets without two teams each. Austin and SAT are kind of both shared between the Astros and Rangers. (Likewise the Cowboys & Texans) Clearly, there is enough market in SAT & Austin together to build a place out between them. Places like Wimberly, New Braunfels, or San Marcos. As far as that goes, either would be a medium sized market by themselves.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Flint1979

Why would anyone suggest Salt Lake City? That isn't a very big city, it's a medium sized city and the metro area has 1.2 million people which would make it one of the smallest markets in the league. There aren't enough people in SLC for a MLB team.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 01, 2024, 01:20:19 PM
Why would anyone suggest Salt Lake City? That isn't a very big city, it's a medium sized city and the metro area has 1.2 million people which would make it one of the smallest markets in the league. There aren't enough people in SLC for a MLB team.

The same reason FritzOwl wants to put an Interstate through whatever empty spot on the map:  because there isn't one near there yet.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2024, 01:26:47 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 01, 2024, 01:20:19 PM

The same reason FritzOwl wants to put an Interstate through whatever empty spot on the map:  because there isn't one near there yet.
Yep that's probably the same reason lol.

hotdogPi

"1.2 million" excludes Provo and Ogden, which would very clearly be part of the Salt Lake City market.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on March 01, 2024, 01:52:34 PM
"1.2 million" excludes Provo and Ogden, which would very clearly be part of the Salt Lake City market.
Ok well Utah as a state has 3.2 million people. Going by states they would have the least population by far.

DTComposer

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 01, 2024, 02:11:46 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 01, 2024, 01:52:34 PM
Ok well Utah as a state has 3.2 million people. Going by states they would have the least population by far.

The Salt Lake City media market (and TV revenue drives these decisions much more than gate revenue) is 29th in the country - ahead of current MLB markets San Diego, Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Milwaukee, and just behind Baltimore. It's also ahead of Las Vegas.

On the other hand, while the area is still growing, it is not growing as fast as some of the other areas on this list, like Austin, Raleigh, and Charlotte.

tidecat

Thr State of Utah has committed $900 million towards bonds for a MLB stadium, in addition to $900 million for either renovations to the Delta Center or a new NBA/NHL arena.

The only question may be is Salt Lake getting the Athletics or an expansion team. Once there is some clarity on the Athletics moving to Vegas we will see expansion.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Henry

Quote from: tidecat on March 07, 2024, 10:56:13 PM
Thr State of Utah has committed $900 million towards bonds for a MLB stadium, in addition to $900 million for either renovations to the Delta Center or a new NBA/NHL arena.

The only question may be is Salt Lake getting the Athletics or an expansion team. Once there is some clarity on the Athletics moving to Vegas we will see expansion.
We also need to see some progress on the Rays' newest ballpark project before expansion can become reality. Hopefully, it'll be a much smoother process than Howard Terminal was for Oakland.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mgk920

Why am I thinking more and more that Baseball in North America would be ideal for conversion to an overseas style of a promotion and relegation system?

:hmmm:

Mike

JayhawkCO

Quote from: mgk920 on March 08, 2024, 12:13:47 PM
Why am I thinking more and more that Baseball in North America would be ideal for conversion to an overseas style of a promotion and relegation system?

Mike

Did you become P13?

Alps

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 08, 2024, 12:42:56 PM

Mike

Did you become P13?
He's been saying this for decades.

epzik8

Quote from: tidecat on March 07, 2024, 10:56:13 PM

Utah is BOOMING right now...
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Henry

Funny that people once said Salt Lake City didn't have enough people to support an NBA team, but the Jazz proved them wrong. Hell, even the Bases Loaded video game series put a team in Utah!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tidecat

NL
West - San Francisco, LA Dodgers, San Diego, Arizona
North - Colorado, Saint Louis, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee
South - Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, Washington
East - Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NY Mets

AL
West - Seattle, Las Vegas, Utah, LA Angels
South - Houston, Texas, Tampa Bay, Baltimore
North - Kansas City, Chicago White Sox, Minnesota, Detroit
East - Cleveland, Toronto, Boston, NY Yankees
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

SP Cook

IMHO,

- The idea of expansion to countries at a different economic level is a non-starter.  Even Toronto, in the most America like country that isn't America, has issues with the fact that they take in C$ and pay out US$.  Playing in Mexico or the DR won't work.

- IF the corridor of prosperity that runs SW-NE through the Carolinas were one compact metro area, it would be certain to be an expansion place.  But it isn't.  It is a 200 mile long chain of cities, suburbs, town, and open spaces.  That can work for football, which is once a week, but night in and night out baseball, they have to pick ONE place to play, and that is far away for everyone else.

- Geography is over-rated in baseball rivalries.  People in Denver are no more or less inclined to dislike a theoretical team in Salt Lake City than one in Boston or Seattle. 

- Austin and San Antonio are football country.

- The precedent set by paying to Orioles to somehow "allow" a team in Washington, haunts baseball.  The Reds and Braves have the same rights in Nashville, the Braves and Nationals in North Carolina, the Blue Jays in Montreal, etc.

Baseball is in a huge state of flux.  One is because of the death of the RSN model.  Without the RSN money, there really isn't "small markets and big markets" anymore.  The problem is they have players that demand money that just isn't there anymore.  If you just let the people that want the local team's games buy them outside the cable bundle model, it is a tiny fraction of people.  Two is that baseball isn't working in Florida (told you so) and there are stadium problems in Tampa, Oakland/Las Vegas, and other places.  They need to solve all of that before they think about expansion. 

tchafe1978

Mike

It will never happen in any North American Major League sport. You think the owners would give up the money they make when they get relegated that easily?

mgk920

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 10, 2024, 10:50:41 PM

Mike

It will never happen in any North American Major League sport. You think the owners would give up the money they make when they get relegated that easily?

Right now we are letting the markets decide things, and at great expense in pvblic treasure.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.