News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Biggest number of letters in a street name?

Started by KCRoadFan, January 10, 2024, 12:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 15, 2024, 07:18:05 PM
40% of your consonants were wrong.
Pfft.  Most consonants in Slavic languages are wrong, anyway.

In the end, it's nearly impossible to say it the way I had written it without the technical "shushes" in there, anyway.

Eh, so thank you for making it technically correct.

Potato, potato; tomato, tomato.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Let's call the whole thing off.

(Oh wait, that doesn't work on a forum.)

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on January 15, 2024, 06:40:17 PM
Tomato, tomato, potato, potato.

Quote from: Rothman on January 15, 2024, 08:17:08 PM
Potato, potato; tomato, tomato.

Are you suggesting that puh-TOT-oh is an acceptable pronunciation of potato?  If so, then you're wrong about that too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: GaryV on January 16, 2024, 08:06:37 AM
Let's call the whole thing off.

(Oh wait, that doesn't work on a forum.)

I think you're supposed to find something which rhymes with "Olive Garden", first.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2024, 11:59:34 AM
I think you're supposed to find something which rhymes with "Olive Garden", first.

Dear Rothman, sir, I beg thy pardon:
A dinner date with Carrie doth approach;
I'll take my bride to Olive Garden,
Despite thy certain coming proud reproach.

Spaghetti cooked with shrimp and lardon,
Alfredo, cheese, a glass of pinot gris:
With these our arteries we'll harden
And pay no single passing thought to thee.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2024, 12:59:56 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2024, 11:59:34 AM

Dear Rothman, sir, I beg thy pardon:
A dinner date with Carrie doth approach;
I'll take my bride to Olive Garden,
Despite thy certain coming proud reproach.

Spaghetti cooked with shrimp and lardon,
Alfredo, cheese, a glass of pinot gris:
With these our arteries we'll harden
And pay no single passing thought to thee.
Miserable people, the both of you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Well, I don't actually know if that's where we'll go for our date.  We had planned a different restaurant for a lunch date, but there's a schedule conflict so we switched it to supper instead.  Our lunch date restaurant pick is too expensive for dinner, but we haven't yet decided where to go instead.

I just wanted to rhyme as many words with "Olive Garden" as I could.  And I don't really see how I could do that without addressing the poem to you.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Someone want to dig up "For Every Christopher Bebop Martin" or whatever those ridiculous signs in Miami said?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 16, 2024, 06:22:35 PM
Someone want to dig up "For Every Christopher Bebop Martin" or whatever those ridiculous signs in Miami said?

paulthemapguy

This forum is 80% pointless arguments about nomenclature (in before someone corrects me and says it's 78.9%).

This thread idea about names of things was doomed from the start.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

mrsman

Quote from: formulanone on January 17, 2024, 10:45:13 PM

Can someone explain to me how it is at all beneficial to rename a street to honor three separate people, as opposed to renaming three separate streets to honor those three separate people?

Raymond Ray Britton (who was a WWII veteran)
Carrie P. Meek (Congresswoman)
Dr. T. Stewart Greer (Interim superintendent of public school system)

I-35

kphoger

Quote from: I-35 on January 25, 2024, 02:08:50 PM
This hot garbage?

blech!  At least I see that the street blades call it by its more sensible alternate name:  Arthur Gardner Hwy.
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 25, 2024, 02:33:02 PM
I actually kind of love this is a ironic way.

Because a bypass encourages drivers to avoid the businesses that the Chamber represents?
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

It's also unclear whether Greater Hazleton is a part of the road name or a separate destination reached via this exit.

A good example of the latter: https://maps.app.goo.gl/DemBmxt94XMK8puf9

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2024, 02:37:29 PM
It's also unclear whether Greater Hazleton is a part of the road name or a separate destination reached via this exit.

It's part of the road name:  https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/US/PDF/2003/0/0066..PDF
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Another example of the latter: https://maps.app.goo.gl/DemBmxt94XMK8puf9
Meh.  Nah.  Lots of signage on I-81 letting you know it's one of the exits to get you to Hazleton.

webny99

I will also nominate Fairport Nine Mile Point Road (NY 250). Yes, it has a big number of letters (25, to be exact), but stick with me on this one; the word "nine" is the second-highest number spelled out in word form in any road name outside of a numbered street system. Ten-Ten Rd south of Raleigh is the highest, and anything higher than ten is either written in numeral form or grammatically incorrect.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on January 25, 2024, 02:47:17 PM

Another example of the latter: https://maps.app.goo.gl/DemBmxt94XMK8puf9
Meh.  Nah.  Lots of signage on I-81 letting you know it's one of the exits to get you to Hazleton.

Sure, but it is still ambiguous to the average passerby.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2024, 02:35:49 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 25, 2024, 02:33:02 PM
I actually kind of love this is a ironic way.

Because a bypass encourages drivers to avoid the businesses that the Chamber represents?

That and just because its so delightfully absurd.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mgk920

Quote from: mrsman on January 25, 2024, 01:54:58 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 17, 2024, 10:45:13 PM

Can someone explain to me how it is at all beneficial to rename a street to honor three separate people, as opposed to renaming three separate streets to honor those three separate people?

Raymond Ray Britton (who was a WWII veteran)
Carrie P. Meek (Congresswoman)
Dr. T. Stewart Greer (Interim superintendent of public school system)

Also, when was it considered to be advantageous to use the honorees' full names rater than just their simple last names?

Mike

elsmere241

Quote from: webny99 on January 25, 2024, 02:48:24 PM
I will also nominate Fairport Nine Mile Point Road (NY 250). Yes, it has a big number of letters (25, to be exact), but stick with me on this one; the word "nine" is the second-highest number spelled out in word form in any road name outside of a numbered street system. Ten-Ten Rd south of Raleigh is the highest, and anything higher than ten is either written in numeral form or grammatically incorrect.

It got its name because its state number is 1010.  I think the sign on US 64 calls it "Ten Ten", but when you get off 64 on the Apex side, it's signed Center Street because that's Apex's name for it.  Cary signs it "SR 1010" last I checked.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.