News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

City of Phoenix Traffic Signals

Started by swbrotha100, December 08, 2014, 12:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbrotha100

I've always wondered why the city of Phoenix installed traffic signals with straight mast arms as opposed to more ADOT type signals, which typically have curved mast arms. Driving around recently, I've noticed a few areas with more ADOT style installations. Some are used for HAWK crossings, and a few more are regular signals.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: swbrotha100 on December 08, 2014, 12:21:08 AM
I've always wondered why the city of Phoenix installed traffic signals with straight mast arms as opposed to more ADOT type signals, which typically have curved mast arms. Driving around recently, I've noticed a few areas with more ADOT style installations. Some are used for HAWK crossings, and a few more are regular signals.

If you thought Phoenix's traffic signals are odd, check out most of those in Tempe and Goodyear, which are large boxy masts with the traffic signals and street name signs built into them.  There are also a few of those type in northwestern Gilbert.

swbrotha100

I like the Tempe/Goodyear style signals. The street names and block numbers are easier to read.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: swbrotha100 on December 08, 2014, 12:45:32 PM
I like the Tempe/Goodyear style signals. The street names and block numbers are easier to read.

There are also a few of those in northwestern Gilbert.  Apparently the town experimented with that style mast, but later switched back to the standard ADOT style.  I presume it may have been due to cost, as I am pretty sure that style mast is more expensive than the ADOT standard.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.