News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AZ 179 to Sedona

Started by Dougtone, July 14, 2015, 11:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

In 2010, I drove AZ 179 from I-17 to Sedona, which is an incredibly scenic drive from top to bottom. AZ 179 is also known as the Red Rock Scenic Byway. As happenstance would be, I came across an article via America's Byways recently that explains a bit of the road related history of this highway.

http://www.gatewaytosedona.com/articles-about-sedona-arizona/item/1152-the-premier-gateway-to-sedona-the-red-rock-scenic-byway-an-all-american-road

andy3175

I've not driven 179 in 20 years, so the time is ripe to head back there and revisit it. I recall both 179 and 89A being incredibly scenic, but I've not been through Sedona in a really long time. Thanks Doug for sharing that article.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Dougtone

I took AZ 89A to get out of Sedona, which was also very scenic. I recall that things to stop and see along the way were more common along AZ 179.

SCH-I545

Sonic99

179 through the Village of Oak Creek is an obstacle course of roundabouts nowadays. But it is a very scenic drive.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.