News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Radio Stations and cutting out segued songs

Started by roadman65, April 25, 2022, 01:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 26, 2022, 12:40:38 AM
When I aired "Home by the Sea" and "Second Home by the Sea" by Genesis on the radio, I opted to air the two parts in two consecutive episodes, as if the first episode was a cliffhanger for the second.

I consider those two songs to be one entity, a suite of sorts.

The CD and digital age certainly has played a role in how we think of songs. If you run down the parts of "2112," you see all sorts of what appear to be separate tracks: "Overture," "The Temples of Syrinx," "Discovery," etc. But on the CD, they're not broken down into individual portions or movements. It's all one big long, nearly 20-minute track.

Contrast that to Chicago's "Ballet For a Girl in Buchannan" (sic). Each song is its own digital track.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: roadman65 on April 26, 2022, 12:55:22 AM
One song I used to think was one was The Load Out/ Stay by Jackson Browne. In fact I remember that Stay was a cover of a Maurice Williams tune back in the early sixties. That confused me as Richard Pryor had not yet became famous, so I wondered why it was in there until I learned the whole first part was not a Maurice Williams song and a separate track.

Some soft rock stations do leave off The Load Out and start Stay as begins abruptly just as some radio stations play only the end of We're Not Gonna Take It by The Who starting with " See Me Feel Me etc."  instead of the entire song starting with " Welcome to the camp, etc."

This is the one I immediately thought of.  It helps that Jackson Browne's version of Stay is kinda short so playing them back to back is kinda the equivalent of playing Like a Rolling Stone.  Also, I think both songs can't live without each other.

There are other way around this, especially if one of the songs was a single.  The Simon and Garfunkel song "America" was actually a medley with "The Bookends Theme" and "Save the Life of My Child" preceding it on the Bookends album, but since "America" was released as a single, the record company did the hard work of eliminating the end of "Save the Life of My Child" from the beginning of "America" so the DJ didn't have to.  Basically there is the Album version nd a standalone version. 

bandit957

It seems like WLAP-FM actually played "Stay" by itself in the late '80s.

Wasn't this actually a double-sided hit?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bandit957 on April 26, 2022, 12:12:12 PM
It seems like WLAP-FM actually played "Stay" by itself in the late '80s.

Wasn't this actually a double-sided hit?

Wow it was.  I didn't know that.  They seemed to have been a package deal a lot of times on the radio but were separate singles and not on the same 45.

bandit957

Remember when AM stations usually played shorter versions than FM stations?

I think "Eyes Without A Face" by Billy Idol was like this. The AM version of "Cum On Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot omitted a whole verse. AM stations usually removed the long ending of "When Doves Cry" and "Purple Rain" by Prince.

golden eagle

Quote from: bandit957 on April 26, 2022, 12:25:01 AM
"Head Over Heels" by Tears For Fears has this long ending like "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" does that sounds like it might really be listed as a separate track on the album. But the only station I ever remember that played the long ending was WLAP-FM.

It's called Broken. I heard it played on a few stations back in the day.

INXS also had the same deal with Need You Tonight with a song called Mediate. I've never heard Mediate played without hearing Need You Tonight first.

kphoger

Quote from: golden eagle on April 26, 2022, 02:15:11 PM
INXS also had the same deal with Need You Tonight with a song called Mediate. I've never heard Mediate played without hearing Need You Tonight first.

* kphoger switches YouTube from playing Toad the Wet Sprocket to playing the INXS album Kick.

:cheers:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-55

Van Halen's "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me" seem to be segued more often on rock stations than classic hits stations. For example, I can get 98.7 WASK (Classic Hits) which plays just the latter, while 103.9 (Crawfordsville, Rock) plays both.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Henry on April 26, 2022, 11:13:26 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2022, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 25, 2022, 10:21:46 PM
Queen has said We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions were never intended to be played as one, but most stations do to the point it surprised me once when they played one without the other.

It's actually a pet peeve of mine that they're always played together on the radio.
I thought about that one too. Although there's no fade out between the former's guitar solo and the latter's opening, it's easy to see where the song changes. The single edit of We Will Rock You simply ends after the guitar part.
[snip]

I remember hearing the songs on the radio at the time, and I bought the single.  The version on the consumer single is a longer version of "We Will Rock You" on one side, and "We Are the Champions" on the other.  However, the AM radio version was a shorter version of "We Will Rock You" followed by the other song.  Despite what the band said, the label must have furnished radio with a special double-song single.

"Stay" (1960) is the shortest number-one single at 1:36.  So, of course, the 70s version is a bloated live version, because of long-playing records or drugs.  Take your pick.

ErmineNotyours

After discovering the American Top 40 Fun and Games site (another UBB board not unlike this one) I discovered where someone posts the cue sheets from American Top 40 shows.  Wow!  And sometimes the cue sheets include the even further behind-the-scenes rundown that demonstrate how the shows were put together.  Double wow!  They have all the timings for the various versions of all the songs so that they can make a four hour show that times out properly, and other information for the smooth construction of the show.  Under the info for Janet Jackson's "Control" on page 5 of the following PDF file, they say, "TRACKS TO NEXT CUT".  Yet more evidence of having to avoid segues.

http://charismusicgroup.com/Cue%20Sheets/12-13-86.pdf

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on April 26, 2022, 12:52:50 PM

The single versions of Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" and "Dialogue" are chopped all to pieces. The single version of "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is" omitted both the free form piano intro and the beginning horn section. "Beginnings" was heavily edited. And the single version of "Make Me Smile" was an edited version of the album track of the same name, combined with an edited version of "Now More Than Ever."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on April 27, 2022, 01:42:44 PM

The single versions of Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4" and "Dialogue" are chopped all to pieces. The single version of "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is" omitted both the free form piano intro and the beginning horn section. "Beginnings" was heavily edited. And the single version of "Make Me Smile" was an edited version of the album track of the same name, combined with an edited version of "Now More Than Ever."

This has been one of my biggest gripes about satellite radio, playing censored/single versions. It's like they're trying to replicate everything that sucks about regular radio except for the commercials.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

abefroman329

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 27, 2022, 02:18:38 PM

This has been one of my biggest gripes about satellite radio, playing censored/single versions. It's like they're trying to replicate everything that sucks about regular radio except for the commercials.
As far as I can tell, they play the censored versions on the "[decade] on [channel number]" channels, and the uncensored versions on the other channels.

It was even more jarring when I was listening to one of the "clean" standup channels and they played Mitch Hedberg's bit about how "you can't be like pancakes, all excited at first, but by the end, you're fuckin' sick of em," and they just removed everything after "all excited at first."

skluth

All the Moody Blues albums from In Search of the Lost Chord through Seventh Sojourn (and possibly later but I didn't listen to those albums much) have every song bleeding into the next. It was a pain in the ass when I was younger and would make mix tapes that included their songs.

The worst example of blatant editing to create a single for me was Light My Fire by the Doors with a very abrupt transition where the instrumental middle section was deleted. I didn't mind the editing for Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is as a single because that's the version I heard first. The album version of 25 or 6 to 4 is simply too long and self-indulgent and I prefer the single. It's been years since I heard the single of Dialogue but it was released with Parts 1 and 2 so I understand the AM desire to chop it to pieces. I don't recall ever hearing a single of Beginnings, but I honestly can't imagine it as anything other than the 8+ minute masterpiece that it is.

bandit957

The AM version of "While You See A Chance" by Steve Winwood is weird. The edit is right in the middle of some vocals.

Dirt Roads

Just an hour ago on a Greensboro radio station:  a female robo-voiceover comes on during the brief interlude between two songs saying "Random is good!"  The first song was T.N.T. (AC/DC) and the second song was Boogie Shoes (KC and the Sunshine Band).  Can't say that I was ever in the mood for a segue between those two songs.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 27, 2022, 02:18:38 PM

Some people want that.  I can say that I am someone that can use less profanity on the radio and TV.  Its all the comforts of hearing the way the songs were played on the radio, the way you remember it when you were young, with the added bonus of being able to pick up the channel in Boston and listen to it as you drive to Denver and never lose it.

That's what satellite radio is to me.  Again, I get nothing out of hearing people professionally curse, so the added taboo of listening to DJs drop F-bombs or hearing Nine Inch Nails sing F-bombs on the radio is not appealing to me.  For me its finding a station I like and not having to worry about 3 hours down the road having it fade into white noise, or Tejano music down here.   

Now I will add that I am more a fan of the album versions of songs because they are usually longer and the single version so many times is shortened but cutting my favorite lick out of the song. 

golden eagle

I was in Walmart Saturday and they played the very chopped down version of "25 Or 6 To 4". I was seething inside when I heard that.

SectorZ

Quote from: skluth on April 27, 2022, 02:48:11 PM
All the Moody Blues albums from In Search of the Lost Chord through Seventh Sojourn (and possibly later but I didn't listen to those albums much) have every song bleeding into the next. It was a pain in the ass when I was younger and would make mix tapes that included their songs.

All of the core seven (Days of Future Passed to Seventh Sojourn) do and their 1974 greatest hits album does as well. All the ones after did not, outside of a couple tracks that were meant to be paired together, but not the run-on segue those earlier albums were.

Getting into them in my early teens I thought that was a really unique thing they did in doing that.

michravera

Quote from: skluth on April 27, 2022, 02:48:11 PM

The worst example of blatant editing to create a single for me was Light My Fire by the Doors with a very abrupt transition where the instrumental middle section was deleted. I didn't mind the editing for Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is as a single because that's the version I heard first. The album version of 25 or 6 to 4 is simply too long and self-indulgent and I prefer the single. It's been years since I heard the single of Dialogue but it was released with Parts 1 and 2 so I understand the AM desire to chop it to pieces. I don't recall ever hearing a single of Beginnings, but I honestly can't imagine it as anything other than the 8+ minute masterpiece that it is.

Tried to set the night on fire. Yeahayeay.
Do Do Di Do dodi do
dodi dodi dum
dodi dum  dump didledum
Bop Bop Bop Bop! Bop Bop Bop Bop

Cut from 7:10 down to 2:30.

"Get Ready" by Rare Earth has an deeper cut from 19:25 down to around 3:15, but since the original by The Temptations was just around 4:00 and the Rare Earth version was a "jam extension cover", I don't exactly count it. It is somewhat incongruous that the chopped version by Rare Earth is shorter than that of the Temptations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.