News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-630/I-430 Big Rock Exchange

Started by msunat97, February 17, 2014, 12:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msunat97

What is the next major traffic pattern change & when is it expected to occur?

AHTD

The next traffic pattern shift will occur on I-630 eastbound between the Baptist Medical Center off-ramp and the on-ramp (other side of the overpass).

Currently traffic weaves to the left. We will straighten-out this pattern and route traffic onto new lanes that have been constructed between these two ramps.

Not a really big change, but one that will help the flow of traffic! Look for this to happen before April 1st.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

msunat97

Traveled thru there this weekend...much better drive on I-630 EB with the traffic shift to the new lanes.  When will we see the next big pattern change or construction event?

AHTD

That actually was THE LAST pattern shift until the job is complete. And yes, it's a much better ride and traffic off Financial Centre Parkway flows much more smoothly in the AM.

Here is where we are on the project:
We are 75% complete.
The Shackleford Road overpass will be complete by the end of the year.
The entire project should be complete before summer of 2015.
At this time neither the overpass nor the flyovers will open until the project is complete. That could change.
Minor challenge when we discovered the BIG ROCK actually continues under the Interstate. It's a formation of sandstone and quartz. We had to adjust the footings for some of the piers to accommodate, but nothing that affected the final completion date.

AHTD

Okay, one small caveat to the last post.

The contractor will be setting beams for the Shackleford Road overpass in the next few weeks. This will require the closure of eastbound Financial Centre Parkway at Hermitage Road. Traffic will be re-routed down Hermitage to Shackleford, turn left and access I-630 with a right turn at the light.

This will be because the crane setting beams will be staged on eastbound Financial in the intersection to set the beams. And yes, this will likely prohibit left turns from southbound Shackleford to eastbound I-630.

NOTE: this is not an official news release and none of the information is in stone, however, upon review of our last post, we wanted to pass this along. The beam setting should be done in one weekend or in a couple of days.

So it's not a major traffic shift, but will have major impact.

Stay tuned!

msunat97

I saw the beams sitting in place on Saturday.  That's exciting news to see it moving forward.

msunat97

Dear AHTD...can we have some lights in that interchange?  It is very dark in that area as of now.

AHTD

Not ready to light it up just yet.

Perhaps you have noticed all the high-mast lighting that has been installed to date? The city of Little Rock is really going to light it up!

msunat97

Dear AHTD...what's the next step in the process to open this interchange?

The Ghostbuster

I think the S. Shackleford Rd./Financial Centre Pkwy. intersection was built far too close to the Big Rock Interchange. I would have given Financial Centre a grade separation, and built ramps to access Shackleford. Maybe a jug-handle. Of course that can't be done now, but should have been done when first constructed.

AHTD

Quote from: msunat97 on June 04, 2015, 12:58:31 PM
Dear AHTD...what's the next step in the process to open this interchange?

SO GLAD YOU ASKED!!!!

We're opening the I-430 southbound to I-630 eastbound flyover this weekend.

See release here: http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2015/NR%2015-164.pdf

Video preview drive-through is here:

bugo

Where does the freeway end at the west end? It used to end at Shackleford but from what I understand it was extended west and there's a grade separation at Shackleford.

codyg1985

A map showing the changes would be really helpful.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

M86

Quote from: msunat97 on April 14, 2014, 12:30:15 PM
Dear AHTD...can we have some lights in that interchange?  It is very dark in that area as of now.

AHTD hates lighting. There's no reason why AHTD has that antiquated policy of that.

capt.ron

Quote from: bugo on June 06, 2015, 11:52:00 PM
Where does the freeway end at the west end? It used to end at Shackleford but from what I understand it was extended west and there's a grade separation at Shackleford.
I believe the "controlled access" portion ends just after Shackleford Rd, before you get to Hermitage Road. I drove I-630 yesterday and right at the Financial Centre Parkway left exit, there is a sign that says "freeway ends in 2000 feet", referring to the extension over Shackleford Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.