News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut to Chesapeake, VA

Started by CT Roadguy, July 07, 2013, 08:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CT Roadguy

I will be traveling from the Hartford area to northern Virginia to see my wife's family.   In the past we have gone I-84 to 684, to the Tappan Zee to NJ Turnpike all the way down to Delaware and Route 13 through Maryland and Northern VA to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.   Usually takes us anywhere from 11-12 hours depending on traffic and how many stops (we've done it in two).

This year we are adding a six-month old to the mix and I am wondering if there are any alternate routes to be considered?   I've played around with it a bit on google maps, but I haven't been able to find any real time savings.  We could go I-91 to 15 Wilbur Cross/Hutch to GWB, to NJTP, but I don't know if that would save us any time.  We are leaving on Saturday if that makes a difference. 

One final thing:  We might have to stop in DC at the end of the week to see a baby.  What would be the easiest way to get from Northern VA to DC?   

Thanks.

Alps

If you're taking the CBBT, you're not going to northern VA, you're going to eastern VA. (: A couple of hints:

* Tappan Zee to NJ Turnpike - how, exactly? Palisades Parkway? You can cut a corner by taking the first exit on the west side of the Hudson and heading south to the PIP, but you barely save any time that way. Depending on the time of day, you can possibly do your suggestion of 91-15-Hutch-Cross County Pkwy.-Deegan-95, but keep in mind that the Deegan SB ramps can back up easily, and it won't be broadcast on local traffic radio. If you have a GPS with traffic, check out how the ramps are doing. Worst case, you can exit the Hutch at I-287 and take the Tappan Zee anyway.
* In NJ itself, you're probably going the fastest way, if the least scenic. You might consider saving a few bucks by dropping out at Exit 7 and wandering past the truck stops over to I-295 South. Don't do that during rush hour, though.
* In Delaware, 295 to 13 can get choked up sometimes. If you're driving down on a summer Friday evening or Saturday midday, take the DE 9 SB exit instead of US 13, and cut down to 13 after the 40 split.

froggie

Yeah, hard to tell whether he's heading to Chesapeake (Hampton Roads, as his title suggests) or northern Virginia (as his text suggests).

Suggestion #1:  if you have the means to, monitor traffic during your trip.

Suggestion #2:  As a general rule (lots more experience now that I'm doing Vermont-Norfolk runs) I've found it easiest to take an 84/684/Saw Mill Pkwy/Tappan Zee/GSP routing from Hartford to the NJ Turnpike...again keeping tabs on traffic.

Assuming he's heading to Chesapeake, I've rarely had issues with hitting US 13 coming off I-295.  Plus that route has a Wawa to stop at just after getting on 13.

Heading down the Delmarva, 113 is better than 13, and taking 1/30 at/beyond Milford is better than 113 between Milford and Millsboro.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.