News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best of Road Pictures

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipeters61

Quote from: formulanone on October 24, 2018, 01:18:24 AM
Two from this evening...

Bearspaw Road, northwest of Calgary:
(photo)

Westbound on AB 567 towards 766:
(photo)
Amazing!  Didn't think you'd get colors like that in Canada.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

inkyatari

The Walland to Wears Valley portion of the Foothills Parkway in Tennessee is finally scheduled to open on Nov. 10th to auto traffic.  I hope someone gets some pictures!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 29, 2018, 09:19:02 AM

Canada converted from black and white a few years ago.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

formulanone

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 29, 2018, 09:25:44 AM

There was the painful Duotone Transition of '80 but most Canadians are reluctant to talk about those days.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on October 29, 2018, 11:32:47 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 29, 2018, 09:25:44 AM

There was the painful Duotone Transition of '80 but most Canadians are reluctant to talk about those days.

There are still examples of Duotone signs at the Peace Arch.

Max Rockatansky

This monochrome photo of the brick Old Dixie Highway north of Espanola, FL has gotten a lot of views lately on my Flickr:

z7 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Found this one of CA 152 westbound climbing up the San Luis Reservoir to Pacheco Pass while looking for shield pics:

IMG_7715 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Used this photo of I-5 northbound for my recent album on the "Grapevine" section between CA 126 north to CA 99:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

roadman65

Quote from: US 89 on August 26, 2018, 01:08:47 PM
This is my all-time favorite (at least from my own pictures): the I-80/Bangerter interchange, with the Oquirrh Mountains and Great Salt Lake in the background. Taken after departing SLC, which is off the right edge of the photo.

Looks like a complicated interchange but its really a cloverleaf with a left side ramp added on one side with braided ramps and slip ramp connectors to another interchange just to the south of this.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on November 21, 2018, 10:10:41 AM
Looks like a complicated interchange but its really [1] a cloverleaf with [2] a left side ramp added on one side [3] with braided ramps and [4] slip ramp connectors to another interchange just to the south of this.

If you have to explain it with four different descriptions, then I think it still borders on 'complicated'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

The Tower Bridge/CA 275 (Old US 40/US 99W) looking towards the Sacramento River and Old Sacramento:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The Tower Bridge looking west:

IMG_3871 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Former US 40/US 99W on Capitol and 5th Street looking west towards the Tower Bridge:

IMG_3920 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Something totally unrelated; the Moki Dugway/UT 261:

4 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

csw

A few of my favorite shots from 2018 (minus Illinois because I still have to go through 450+ Illinois photos...):

A fairly lonely stretch of US 8 near Crandon, WI. July 22.

Near Castleton, VT, soon after entering from New York on US 4. October 6.

Exit for Cuba, NY, along the Southern Tier. October 9.

kphoger

Quote from: csw on December 08, 2018, 11:08:31 PM

My immediate thought when I first glanced at the blue signs was that it said HUH?
Now I realize it actually means there may or may not be a hospital there.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2018, 01:39:50 PM
My immediate thought when I first glanced at the blue signs was that it said HUH?

Schrödinger's Hospital.

Big John

Quote from: csw on December 08, 2018, 11:08:31 PM

The "?" is 2004 spec for information (D9-10).  The 2012 supplement replaced the D9-10 sign with "INFO"

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on December 10, 2018, 02:13:14 PM
The "?" is 2004 spec for information (D9-10).  The 2012 supplement replaced the D9-10 sign with "INFO"

Sorry, I should have included the [/sarcasm] tag for clarity.
Male pronouns, please.

ipeters61

Reminds me of my "favorite" sign in Delaware: https://goo.gl/maps/4yeR7EPdGF82

1A?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Brandon

Alanland General Hospital.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2018, 03:37:31 PM

That's the name of the local five & dime in Quindaro–where "everything costs a buck and nothing is free except the buck but not", as the jingle goes.

I will refrain from talking about Alanland on the site, that the thread might not get locked.
I will refrain from talking about Alanland on the site, that the thread might not get locked.
Male pronouns, please.

ce929wax

I'm not a fan of New York's BGS.  I do like their Blue logo and information signs.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on December 11, 2018, 03:37:31 PM

No, that's "may and may not be".

cl94

This is probably my best shot of 2018. The Zion — Mount Carmel Highway in Zion National Park as seen from the Canyon Overlook.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2018, 10:39:53 PM
This is probably my best shot of 2018. The Zion — Mount Carmel Highway in Zion National Park as seen from the Canyon Overlook.

Pine Creek Canyon is a pretty awesome place to road photos.  I took a crap ton of them last year, the Mount Carmel Tunnel is particularly eye catching:

IMG_1459 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_1410 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_1414 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_1426 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_1429 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 08, 2018, 03:07:55 PM
Former US 40/US 99W on Capitol and 5th Street looking west towards the Tower Bridge:

Where the hell is everyone!?!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2018, 01:15:49 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 08, 2018, 03:07:55 PM

Presumably still in bed being unwilling to get up at sunrise on a Saturday morning to wander downtown.  Given I was five streets over from the Capitol it probably really speaks to the Monday through Friday nature of government work. 

ipeters61

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2018, 11:59:38 PM
IMG_1429 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr
That is awesome.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2018, 07:58:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2018, 01:15:49 AM

Presumably still in bed being unwilling to get up at sunrise on a Saturday morning to wander downtown.  Given I was five streets over from the Capitol it probably really speaks to the Monday through Friday nature of government work. 
Living in Dover, I can attest to that.  On days when I take off early from work, I'm surprised by how many people actually are in downtown Monday-Friday 8-4:30 (considering the DelDOT complex is on the outskirts of Dover).
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.