News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

KDOT announces K-10 South Lawrence Trafficway study

Started by route56, September 10, 2018, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Released Friday

Quote from: Laurie Arellano, KDOT PIO
KDOT announces K-10 South Lawrence Trafficway study

Topeka - The Kansas Department of Transportation announces the initiation of a Supplemental Environmental Impact Study (SEIS) of the South Lawrence Trafficway corridor.

KDOT has decided to evaluate the South Lawrence Trafficway corridor, which extends from I-70 at N. 1800 Road to east of K-10 at 23rd Street and includes E. 600 Road and portions of U.S. 40.

The SEIS will fully evaluate and document the impacts and benefits that alternatives will have on the surrounding area throughout the study process. The SEIS will also allow KDOT to gather additional input from the public and local stakeholders. The most recent studies of the west leg of the South Lawrence Trafficway were completed in 2016.

The eastern portion of the trafficway was opened in 2016, and since that date, the area has seen additional growth and increased traffic. KDOT has determined a study to assess options for improving the level of service is necessary to provide drivers and residents
decision tools.

The SEIS process is expected to take approximately three years to complete. Throughout the process, KDOT will engage the community through stakeholder and public meetings and workshops to provide updates and gather input.

The most recent studies of the South Lawrence Trafficway area are available at https://www.ksdot.org/bureaus/TopekaMetro/projectstudytest.asp

###

South Lawrence Trafficway Supplemental EIS
Frequently Asked Questions

Study Process

Q: What is an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)?
A: An Environmental Impact Statement or EIS is a document required by the Federal Highway Administration to evaluate the impact proposed improvements will have on the natural and manmade environment. It is designed to help agencies, elected officials, and the public make sound decisions for the project and its surrounding area. An EIS is prescribed by the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA) and is one type of environmental document necessary to secure federal clearance and funding for transportation improvements.

Q: What is a Supplement to an EIS (SEIS)?
A: A Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) reviews the findings of an existing EIS. A SEIS considers new or additional environmental impacts based on the introduction of new improvement options and/or major changes in the natural environment or communities. The South Lawrence Trafficway SEIS will evaluate if — and how — upgrading the corridor to a four-lane freeway, modifying access, and exploring new funding mechanisms alter the impacts and recommendations previously identified through the 1990
EIS and 2008 East Leg EIS.

Q: Why is there another study?
A: KDOT conducted the K-10 West Leg Concept Study from 2014-2016, which proposed adding two new lanes between I-70 and US-59 and modifying existing access through reconfiguration of existing interchanges, removal of at-grade intersections, conversion of existing at-grade intersections to new interchanges, and adding new interchanges to improve safety and traffic flow. During this study, an environmental reevaluation of the past NEPA decision for the West Leg was initiated to assess changes since the time of the initial
1990 EIS. In the spring of 2016, the public raised concerns regarding K-10 access at Farmer's Turnpike that led to the Federal Highway Administration recommend additional evaluation of the proposed alternatives and the study area through a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS). The SEIS will review the concept alternatives and evaluate the entire corridor for impacts, and identify ways to minimize or avoid impacts to sensitive project environmental features within the project footprint.

Q: What will the SEIS evaluate?
A: The current SEIS, as a supplement to the original 1990 EIS, will evaluate a "˜No Action' alternative as well as a combination of potential funding options for the entire SLT study area. Roadway configuration options will be evaluated, including upgrading the West Section as a four-lane freeway with controlled access and the interchanges at West 6th Street/U.S. 40, Bob Billings Parkway, Clinton Parkway, an interchange between Wakarusa Drive and E 1200 Rd/Kasold Drive, and at U.S. 59/Iowa Street. Also, interchange alternatives at I-70/East 600 Road/Lecompton Road and K-10/I-70/North 1800 Road will be considered.

Schedule
Q: Why does the SEIS take 3 years to complete?
A: While there has been a lot of work done over the past several years to develop improvement alternatives, the SEIS process involves reviewing the previous work completed, looking for issues that could impact the improvement alternatives, and evaluating the potential funding options as part of the overall solution. There is coordination with many federal and state agencies that needs to occur, along with opportunities for public engagement throughout the project. These steps all take time, and KDOT and FHWA mutually agree that a three-year schedule is realistic to arrive at an approved final Record of Decision (ROD) for the project.

Study boundaries
Q: What are the physical limits of the study?
A: The overall project study limits begin just north of Interstate 70 at North 1800 Road(Farmer's Turnpike) and extend to just east of the existing K-10/23rd Street interchange. The overall length is 19.0 miles and is broken down as follows:
- The West Leg SLT begins just north of Interstate 70 at North 1800 Road(Farmer's Turnpike) to US-59/Iowa Street (approximately 8.7 miles);
- The East Leg SLT begins at US-59/Iowa Street and continues to the existing K-10/23rd Street system interchange (5.6 miles); and
- The project study area also includes East 600 Road/Lecompton Road at Interstate 70 (approximately 0.6 mile), and U.S. 40 from K-10 to E 600 Road (approximately 4.1 miles).

Funding
Q: Is there funding for construction?
A: There is no funding for construction at this time. A range of funding options will be evaluated as part of the SEIS.

How do I get information?
Q: How will stakeholders be kept informed?
A: Stakeholders can stay informed by attending scheduled public meetings, or requesting a specific meeting for your community group. A project website is under development and will be live later in the fall. You can also sign up for project updates or ask question by emailing the project team at info@SLT-KS.org.

Q: How can I get involved?
A: Please stay informed by attending meetings, and asking questions. There will be surveys and focus groups to provide input at different times throughout the study process. When the SEIS Draft is released, you may review and provide comments about the alternatives and the study process to the project team at info@SLT-KS.org.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

The Ghostbuster

So this proposal would upgrade the two-lane portion of K-10 into a four-lane freeway. Now that the missing link of the SLT between US 59 and the pre-existing K-10 four-lane freeway is completed, I think it is a good idea to make the entire K-10 corridor a uniformed four-laned freeway.

mvak36

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 10, 2018, 05:11:59 PM
So this proposal would upgrade the two-lane portion of K-10 into a four-lane freeway. Now that the missing link of the SLT between US 59 and the pre-existing K-10 four-lane freeway is completed, I think it is a good idea to make the entire K-10 corridor a uniformed four-laned freeway.

:confused: :eyebrow:
I'm not sure what you mean by uniform but it's a freeway everywhere except the last remaining two-lane portion.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SD Mapman

Quote from: mvak36 on September 10, 2018, 06:11:30 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by uniform but it's a freeway everywhere except the last remaining two-lane portion.
They have bridge space to upgrade it on the two lane section (here)
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

mvak36

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 12, 2018, 11:56:59 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on September 10, 2018, 06:11:30 PM

They have bridge space to upgrade it on the two lane section (here)
Ah I see what you mean. Also I misunderstood the ghostbusters post. That's my fault.

iPhone

route56

KDOT met with the Douglas County Commission on Wednesday night regarding the upcoming SLT NEPA review. The prospect of toll funding of the project once again peaked out from its gopher hole:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/county-government/2018/oct/24/kdot-official-says-upgrade-to-west-leg-of-k-10-might-have-to-be-funded-using-tolls/
[Advisory: LJW now has a paywall]

Also, the first public meeting regarding the study has now been set: November 14, 5 PM, Southwest Middle School in Lawrence.

R.P.K.

The Ghostbuster

If tolling were implemented, would it just apply to the current two-lane segment (Interstate 70 to US 59)? Or might the rest of the 38-mile roadway be tolled as well?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SCtoKC

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 26, 2018, 05:28:24 PM
If tolling were implemented, would it just apply to the current two-lane segment (Interstate 70 to US 59)? Or might the rest of the 38-mile roadway be tolled as well?

I can't see them tolling the entire thing.  K-10 was built to be a toll-free alternative between KC and Lawrence.

route56

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 26, 2018, 05:28:24 PM

Obviously, KDOT didn't say, but I suppose either option is possible. It's also possible that tolling may not raise sufficient revenue to pay for the tolling infrastructure, let alone raise money to build and maintain a the widening of the west leg of the Trafficway.

EDIT: A follow-up article in the Journal-World indicated that tolls are being considered only for the SLT, including the recently completed east leg from US 59 east to 23rd Street (where K-10 rejoins its pre-SLT alignment)

Quote from: NE2 on October 26, 2018, 06:05:25 PM
I'd ride on the South Lawrence Urban Trafficway.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

The backdrop to the current discussion of tolling the SLT is the $2 billion taken from KDOT to backfill revenue shortfalls resulting from the now largely repealed Brownback tax cuts.  T-WORKS is about to expire, so the Legislature has a transportation task force looking at the possible shape of a successor program and options for funding.  The Economic Lifelines transportation lobbying group has already submitted testimony calling for a plan to pay back the $2 billion and apply it to highway improvements.  My sense is that repayment is essentially a political choice and much will depend on who wins the gubernatorial election next month.  It does make me kind of nervous that one of the third-party candidates (the Libertarian, I think) has said the gas tax is too high and floated the idea of cutting it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

route56

One other thing not previously mentioned: the proposal calls for a toll rate of 15 cents per mile, compared to 6 cents per mile on the Turnpike.

The Douglas County Commission and the Lawrence Journal-World have both come out in opposition to placing tolls on K-10.

And another thing... IIRC, if a segment of the US highway system is tolled, a toll-free alternative must be provided. Since US 40 is carried on the west leg of the SLT, if the SLT were to be tolled, the most obvious toll-free alternative would be the segment of West 6th Street that KDOT relinquished and the city of Lawrence agreed to accept. I don't know if AASHTO would allow a US highway designation on a route under local jurisdiction; therefore, KDOT would have to re-take 6th. A second possibility would be to extend the US 24/US 40 concurrency from Lawrence to Topeka.

R.P.K.

route56

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/state-government/2018/nov/14/public-shares-concerns-about-tolls-safety-at-meeting-on-k-10-west-leg-improvements/

Opening paragraph of today's story:

Notes left on a comment board Wednesday at a public informational meeting on proposed upgrades for Kansas Highway 10 left no doubt about what was on attendees' minds: "No tolls."

Also on the post-it board  (though not really mentioned in the article):

* Access to the SLT to/from the North. KDOT was looking at a system to system interchange that would have cut off direct access to K-10 from the "Farmers Turnpike" (officially known as N 1800 Road). People from the Perry/Lecompton area wishing to access K-10 would have had to take
a sub-standard US 40 or a new Turnpike interchange to access K-10.

* Noise abatement. When the west leg was initially built, there were no residences. Although the people who moved in to the new homes that were subsequently built know of the highway's presence, noise was apparently not a big deal until the east leg opened up. Also, at least one person suggested that engine/exhaust break be restricted on the downgrade between the Clinton Parkway interchange and the traffic light at 27th.

* One post-it read: "Will we have to meet about a 6-lane road in 10 years - we waited 20 years for a bypass in the first place.

* Another thought the $300 million estimated price tag was "ridiculous."

* A third post it suggested a road on the east side of town to take traffic off of the SLT.

Meanwhile, after the paper had (presumably) been put to bed, there was another wreck on the SLT.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/public-safety/2018/nov/15/1-seriously-injured-in-3-car-crash-at-stoplight-on-k-10/

R.P.K.

route56

It appears that the right-in, right-out experiment on K-10 at Kasold has failed. KDOT is shutting the intersection down on December 3rd

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/state-government/2018/nov/15/kdot-to-permanently-close-k-10-intersection-at-kasold/

Also, at the meeting last night, I did ask why the NEPA process is considered a Supplemental EIS (as opposed to just EIS): The person I talked to indicated because the project covers the same area as the 1990 EIS (and, to a lesser extent, the 2003/2008 EIS), the current NEPA process is considered an update, hence the "supplemental" title.

R.P.K.

route56

This article appeared in the Lawrence Journal-World regarding the surge in traffic, and the resulting surge in accidents, on the west leg of the Trafficway.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/city-government/2018/dec/09/since-south-lawrence-trafficways-completion-accidents-have-spiked-on-western-leg/

R.P.K.

route56

BUMP!

KDOT recently presented to the city a slightly more detailed look at the options to be included in the forthcoming SEIS for the west leg of the South Lawrence Trafficway

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/city-government/2019/apr/15/kdot-to-present-options-for-south-lawrence-trafficway-improvements-including-adding-tolls/

The options included:

* No Action, which is always included for baseline comparison. However, KDOT is committed to rebuiding the interchange between the SLT and West 6th into a DDI, and the City and County anticipate eventually extending Wakarusa Drive to the south.
* Transportation System Management/Transportation Demand Management: Improvements confined to transportation management strategies similar to KC Scout or WICHway.
* Multimodal: Concentrating on public transit option to be in hopes of reducing/retarding demand capacity.
* Added Capacity Expressway
* Added Capacity Freeway
* Added Capacity Tollway

The next public open house will be Wednesday, May 1, at Southwest Middle School in Lawrence.

R.P.K.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: route56 on April 22, 2019, 01:40:32 PM
BUMP!

KDOT recently presented to the city a slightly more detailed look at the options to be included in the forthcoming SEIS for the west leg of the South Lawrence Trafficway

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/city-government/2019/apr/15/kdot-to-present-options-for-south-lawrence-trafficway-improvements-including-adding-tolls/

The options included:

* No Action, which is always included for baseline comparison. However, KDOT is committed to rebuiding the interchange between the SLT and West 6th into a DDI, and the City and County anticipate eventually extending Wakarusa Drive to the south.
* Transportation System Management/Transportation Demand Management: Improvements confined to transportation management strategies similar to KC Scout or WICHway.
* Multimodal: Concentrating on public transit option to be in hopes of reducing/retarding demand capacity.
* Added Capacity Expressway
* Added Capacity Freeway
* Added Capacity Tollway

The next public open house will be Wednesday, May 1, at Southwest Middle School in Lawrence.

The multimodal option is intriguing.  I like that idea as long as it fully addresses all of the safety issues.

If they upgrade the road to a full freeway, I still don't think an additional Turnpike interchange is necessary.  The existing Exit 197 interchange could be modified for free-flowing traffic, albeit with slow curves, and this would greatly simplify the project.  K-96 doesn't even have a fully free-flowing interchange with the Turnpike, and that is a partial beltway that is already a freeway and has been for a long time now.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

The Ghostbuster

I would prefer options 5 or 6 for K-10. 6 lanes on the existing 2-lane segment may be overkill. If tolls are charged, they should be 100% electronic.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 23, 2019, 04:56:45 PM
If tolls are charged, they should be 100% electronic.

I have no doubt they would be all-electronic.  As far as I know, no toll road authority in the U.S. or Canada these days is building new toll booths where drivers have to stop to pay the toll.  Exit 212 on the Kansas Turnpike might have been a last gasp for toll booths, and that one's fully automated, not staffed.  I assume the KTA didn't want to experiment with creating a K-TAG requirement at that interchange, but even the new Exit 52 (I assume that's the number for the direct ramps to US 54/400/Kellogg Avenue Freeway) is going to be all-electronic.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

mvak36

They might need to put tolls on the new section of road unless they want a big increase in traffic from all the people that are going to use K-10 to avoid tolls on the remaining 20 to 25 miles of the turnpike.

route56

I did make it over to the public meeting

* The biggest complaint about conditions on the existing SLT is the intersection with 27th Street. KDOT has placed radar trailers for a queue backup warning system and will add an "Advanced Signal Warning System" next year. A suggestion was made to close 27th Street to the east to reduce queue disruption at the light.

* In my comments, I pointed out that, because KDOT relinquished 6th between K-10 and Iowa, the west leg of the trafficway carries the US 40 designation. AASHTO policy is that a US highway routed along a tolled facility requires a toll free alternative, which would effectively mean that KDOT would have to take back 6th Street.

* Not all of the officials there were familiar with the AASHTO route numbering committee, but there was one that did. He mentioned that the route numbering committee is there to make sense to the numbering - and then he points out US 400 :)

R.P.K.

route56

R.P.K.

The Ghostbuster

Good. Now they have to decide whether to make it a four-lane road, a six-lane road, and/or make it a toll road.

mvak36

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 15, 2019, 04:11:36 PM
Good. Now they have to decide whether to make it a four-lane road, a six-lane road, and/or make it a toll road.

I think they probably will have to at least make the people getting off of I-70 pay a toll so that everyone just doesn't get on K-10 to avoid paying tolls on that last stretch of 70. Although K-10 is such a cluster from near the K-7 interchange to its eastern terminus that I'd probably still take 70 to not have to deal with the traffic.

Scott5114

If KDOT gave a damn about shunpiking, they wouldn't have built I-35 east of Emporia.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.