So I got my 2020 census form (and am still waiting for my 2000 form)

Started by bandit957, March 17, 2020, 01:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

A few days ago, I got my 2020 census form. Actually, it was just a letter with a website that allowed me to fill it out online.

I did receive one in 2010, but I'm still waiting for my census form from 2000.

I would have been turning 17 when we got the 1990 form, but I do remember having to fill it out. I think it was supposed to be filled out by a parent, but I was old enough to understand it. The form in 1990 was much, much longer and more detailed than it is today.

The big question is, when am I going to receive my census form from 20 years ago?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

renegade

I got two Census letters this week.  I would be happy for a paper form.  I don't want to do the Census online if I don't have to.

You should probably give up waiting for your form from 2000.  I doubt it's going to arrive anytime soon.  Just sayin'.

:bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: renegade on March 17, 2020, 10:08:34 AM
I got two Census letters this week.  I would be happy for a paper form.  I don't want to do the Census online if I don't have to.

You should probably give up waiting for your form from 2000.  I doubt it's going to arrive anytime soon.  Just sayin'.

What objection do you have to responding online?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

We got the original letter last Thursday and then yesterday we got another one nagging us. The one we received yesterday had yesterday's date, so they clearly distributed them well in advance. Struck me as a big waste to send two communications within three business days of each other.

I responded online. No real reason not to. It doesn't ask for anything sensitive (SSN, etc.)–it asks how many people are in your household and then for each it asks for name, date of birth, race, and ethnic origin (the latter meaning, for example, if you're white and your family originated in Germany, you would put "German"). I could certainly see some people putting "Don't know" under ethnic origin. All the intrusive questions about the number of toilets in your house, commute time, etc., are no longer part of the decennial census; instead, those are now part of something called the "American Community Survey" that's distributed separately (though they'll still badger you and claim you're legally required to respond to it).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 17, 2020, 11:00:36 AM
We got the original letter last Thursday and then yesterday we got another one nagging us. The one we received yesterday had yesterday's date, so they clearly distributed them well in advance. Struck me as a big waste to send two communications within three business days of each other.

The original mailing, which contains just a letter or a letter + a form, depending on the level of internet access in your county, is supposed to arrive between the 13th and 19th (I haven't gotten mine yet).  The reminder letter is supposed to arrive 7-10 days after the original mailing.  The contractor who is doing the mailings must have messed up because they weren't supposed to be that close together.

mgk920

The actual Census day is April 1, correct?  I will respond on that day.   :nod:

Also, yes, your deep descendants will thank you for responding to this, especially when doing genealogical research.  Speaking of that, the nitty-gritty from the 1950 Census will be released to the public in two years (by law, it's confidential for 72 years).

Mike

webny99

Dang, I kind of wanted to own the 2020 census thread, and I even had plans to start one, but I guess I missed my chance.
Maybe we'll need a separate "results" thread in a year or so when we actually get the data.  :D

I was too young to care about the census back in 2010, so this is the first one I actually care about, and needless to say I'm quite excited! I already have an entire spreadsheet built so I can analyze the results for New York State right down to the township level, compare to 2000 & 2010, look at which areas are growing and shrinking, etc. Very glad I live in a state where everything is incorporated, as that makes analyzing the results much more fun.

Besides my home state of New York, I'm also interested in results from PA, OH, MN & ND, in particular.
And of course, the congressional seat reallocation will be fascinating as well. There's rumblings that California could lose seat(s) for the first time in history. One state that definitely won't be losing seats is Texas. A world in which every presidential election is decided by Texas no longer seems that far off.

bandit957

Everyone says Kentucky won't lose a seat, but I think it might.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on March 17, 2020, 11:38:49 AM
Dang, I kind of wanted to own the 2020 census thread, and I even had plans to start one, but I guess I missed my chance.
Maybe we'll need a separate "results" thread in a year or so when we actually get the data.  :D

I was too young to care about the census back in 2010, so this is the first one I actually care about, and needless to say I'm quite excited! I already have an entire spreadsheet built so I can analyze the results for New York State right down to the township level, compare to 2000 & 2010, look at which areas are growing and shrinking, etc. Very glad I live in a state where everything is incorporated, as that makes analyzing the results much more fun.

Besides my home state of New York, I'm also interested in results from PA, OH, MN & ND, in particular.
And of course, the congressional seat reallocation will be fascinating as well. There's rumblings that California could lose seat(s) for the first time in history. One state that definitely won't be losing seats is Texas. A world in which every presidential election is decided by Texas no longer seems that far off.

Your listed age is 20.  If you're currently in college and have a major that requires at least 15 hours in math/statistics and at least 9 hours in other sciences, you would qualify for a professional track position at the Census Bureau upon graduation.  We have permanent offices in Suitland, MD; Jeffersonville, IN; Tucson, AZ; New York; Philadelphia; Atlanta; Chicago; Denver and Los Angeles. 

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 17, 2020, 11:44:55 AM
Your listed age is 20.  If you're currently in college and have a major that requires at least 15 hours in math/statistics and at least 9 hours in other sciences, you would qualify for a professional track position at the Census Bureau upon graduation.  We have permanent offices in Suitland, MD; Jeffersonville, IN; Tucson, AZ; New York; Philadelphia; Atlanta; Chicago; Denver and Los Angeles. 

Interesting! I find the census fascinating, and I am taking some college courses online. Because of that (and various other reasons), however, I'm actually not looking for work and/or bored stiff by the whole coronavirus thing.

Scott5114

Quote from: bandit957 on March 17, 2020, 11:40:56 AM
Everyone says Kentucky won't lose a seat, but I think it might.

I'm planning on stealing H.B.'s office chair.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 17, 2020, 10:56:37 AM

I would rather fill out a paper form and mail it back.  There should be no objection to that.

Scott5114

Quote from: renegade on March 17, 2020, 05:05:05 PM

I would rather fill out a paper form and mail it back.  There should be no objection to that.

Why? It costs more taxpayer money.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DaBigE

Quote from: bandit957 on March 17, 2020, 01:09:21 AM
A few days ago, I got my 2020 census form. Actually, it was just a letter with a website that allowed me to fill it out online.

I did receive one in 2010, but I'm still waiting for my census form from 2000.

I would have been turning 17 when we got the 1990 form, but I do remember having to fill it out. I think it was supposed to be filled out by a parent, but I was old enough to understand it. The form in 1990 was much, much longer and more detailed than it is today.

The big question is, when am I going to receive my census form from 20 years ago?

Did you ever file a missing mail report?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bandit957 on March 17, 2020, 01:09:21 AM

Around the same time my brother gets the birthday card I mailed him over a decade ago, when I lived in Baton Rouge.
(we now both live in Central Ohio)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Max Rockatansky

Took a census myself tonight, nothing really all that interesting on it.  It seemed to be more about ethnicity statistics more than anything.

SectorZ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 18, 2020, 12:25:36 AM
Took a census myself tonight, nothing really all that interesting on it.  It seemed to be more about ethnicity statistics more than anything.

It's amazing how my state is running taxpayer-paid ads to remind us to fill it out, because it affects all sorts of funding. Meanwhile, like your experience, the thing asks nothing at all but any financial aspects of your home, just national origin. And then people wonder why there might be racial components to how this money is apportioned.

SP Cook

As to seats and all of that, the drive-by media, just focuses on this or that state gaining or losing seats.  What is not covered is that EVERY state has to redistribute seats for the federal house (unless you have just one anyway), and the two (one in Nebraska) state houses.  So while your state may have the same number of seats as before, population shifts within states means that districts often look very differently.

Most non-partisan projections say NY will lose 2 seats, AL, IL, MI, OH, PA, RI, WV, and for the first time ever CA, or MN, will lose seats, while TX will gain 3, FL 2, and NC, AZ, CO, MT, and OR one each.

NWI_Irish96

There is a tight time frame for reapportionment and redistricting.  Once the data is delivered to the states, they have to get districts redrawn in time for candidates to file by early 2022 for state primary elections. 

If we have to delay data collection and/or processing, I could see it being possible that reapportionment and redistricting don't take effect until the 2024 elections. 

renegade

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 17, 2020, 05:10:06 PM

Riiiight ... so did the two letters I received inviting me to participate online, when one form in the mail would have been sufficient.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: renegade on March 18, 2020, 10:21:01 AM

Riiiight ... so did the two letters I received inviting me to participate online, when one form in the mail would have been sufficient.

The postage isn't the big cost.  It's the labor cost of having to process the paper form as opposed to the online form.

Bruce

Quote from: SectorZ on March 18, 2020, 08:21:23 AM

It's amazing how my state is running taxpayer-paid ads to remind us to fill it out, because it affects all sorts of funding. Meanwhile, like your experience, the thing asks nothing at all but any financial aspects of your home, just national origin. And then people wonder why there might be racial components to how this money is apportioned.

The main census has been watered down like this for a while. If you look through old census records, you'd get a lot more valuable information (especially for statistical research): occupation, level of education completed, birthplace/country of origin, etc.

It's a shame that we couldn't take advantage of the online form to put more information in. It never hurts to have more accurate statistics going forward, especially since census data is used to decide a whole ton of things, like moving bus routes, zoning, economic investment areas, and disaster response planning.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on March 18, 2020, 11:41:58 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 18, 2020, 08:21:23 AM

The main census has been watered down like this for a while. If you look through old census records, you'd get a lot more valuable information (especially for statistical research): occupation, level of education completed, birthplace/country of origin, etc.

It's a shame that we couldn't take advantage of the online form to put more information in. It never hurts to have more accurate statistics going forward, especially since census data is used to decide a whole ton of things, like moving bus routes, zoning, economic investment areas, and disaster response planning.

Really that's exactly what I thought after filling it out, they could have gotten way more information and it wouldn't have added really any additional time to complete the survey.  I haven't received a census in a long time and it was substantially watered down from the last one I took.

renegade

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 18, 2020, 10:28:43 AM

The postage isn't the big cost.  It's the labor cost of having to process the paper form as opposed to the online form.
Yup.  My tax dollars at work!  In these trying times, people need to have jobs.  I am doing my part to help that.  Gonna move on with my life now ... the Census is the very least of my worries ... have a great day!!!
:wave:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on March 18, 2020, 03:44:35 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 18, 2020, 10:28:43 AM

Yup.  My tax dollars at work!  In these trying times, people need to have jobs.  I am doing my part to help that.  Gonna move on with my life now ... the Census is the very least of my worries ... have a great day!!!
:wave:

My wife putting on that sappy "Us is This"  show sure got me motivated to take a survey last night. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.