News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD: Relocating West Virginia

Started by Scott5114, September 04, 2022, 07:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the Ohio Valley board is eliminated, where should West Virginia threads be located?

Mid-Atlantic (with eastern West Virginia, original recipe Virginia, and Maryland)
55 (76.4%)
Southeast (with East Tennessee, leave eastern West Virginia in Mid-Atlantic)
4 (5.6%)
Southeast (with East Tennessee, move eastern West Virginia to Southeast as well)
1 (1.4%)
Wherever Kentucky ends up (leave eastern West Virginia in Mid-Atlantic)
4 (5.6%)
Wherever Kentucky ends up (move eastern West Virginia as well)
8 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: September 11, 2022, 07:20:31 PM

Scott5114

This poll is related to the proposal to merge the Ohio Valley board. If the result of that question is "no", the result of this poll will be null and void.

Feel free to leave your feedback in this thread.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Just so you know, approval voting (vote for any number of options) works better than voting for one and only one option.

The same applies to the Kentucky thread.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ran4sh

Quote from: 1 on September 04, 2022, 09:03:18 PM
Just so you know, approval voting (vote for any number of options) works better than voting for one and only one option.

That might be true but the poll seems to be a forum feature, so approval voting would need to be available as a feature to be able to use it.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on September 04, 2022, 09:03:18 PM

It would be, and the forum does support multiple-vote options. However, if we were to do that, we would need to do some sort of ranked-choice voting, which the forum does not support, because of the need for a clear single winner. (Because of the small sample size, I considered that allowing people to choose multiple options might potentially make a tie more likely, although I'm not really sure if there's any statistical backing to that concern.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mrsman

I voted to put WV in Mid-Atlantic.  I'm heavily in favor of avoiding split-states, and it seems to me that the other possibilities for WV would make those other boards too crowded.  (Midwest and Southeastern states would be huge with WV, especially if KY is also moved to one of those groups).  There is also a benefit since part of WV is already in Mid-Atlantic.  So the real decision is whether WV belongs in the same region as VA or as KY.

VTGoose

DARN! I thought this was going to be about relocating the whole state, to somewhere like the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Hokies and Pitt fans everywhere are disappointed.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

triplemultiplex

Quote from: VTGoose on September 07, 2022, 12:03:25 PM
DARN! I thought this was going to be about relocating the whole state, to somewhere like the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Hokies and Pitt fans everywhere are disappointed.

That would pull them out of their generations-long economic depression, probably. Beachfront real-estate galore!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ITB

Mid-Atlantic.  It just makes sense. West Virginia's Jefferson County is counted as part of the Washington MSA.

hbelkins

Quote from: ITB on September 08, 2022, 04:53:57 PM

Mid-Atlantic.  It just makes sense. West Virginia's Jefferson County is counted as part of the Washington MSA.

But Logan and Mingo counties are in the WYMT-TV (Hazard, Ky.) coverage area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Mid Atlantic, as Virginia is is mid Atlantic and part of the state is already in it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

For this to be a road-related board, one would think the members would have a better grasp on geography than they're showing in some of these relocation threads.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on September 10, 2022, 09:10:29 PM
For this to be a road-related board, one would think the members would have a better grasp on geography than they're showing in some of these relocation threads.

I'm so used to this.  It was weird going to Virginia Tech and finding out that half of the folks from NOVA thought Blacksburg and the rest of Southwestern Virginia was part of West Virginia, and the other half thought that West Virginia was still part of the Old Dominion.  Once they found out that the real West Virginia had a lower drinking age, their geography was enlightened (so to say).

Dirt Roads

Reposted from the Proposal to Merge thread:

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 10, 2022, 09:29:51 AM
The obvious solution is to give West Virginia and Kentucky each their own board. :)

I'm certainly not opposed to that.  Both states have a lot in common, including the Hatfields and McCoys.  But we would have a hard time deciding which state gets to pick the Moderator.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 10, 2022, 10:10:31 PM

The obvious solution is to give West Virginia and Kentucky each their own board. :)

I'm certainly not opposed to that.  Both states have a lot in common, including the Hatfields and McCoys.  But we would have a hard time deciding which state gets to pick the Moderator.
Existing Ohio Valley board doesn't have a regional moderator either.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 10, 2022, 10:06:43 PM

I'm so used to this.  It was weird going to Virginia Tech and finding out that half of the folks from NOVA thought Blacksburg and the rest of Southwestern Virginia was part of West Virginia, and the other half thought that West Virginia was still part of the Old Dominion.  Once they found out that the real West Virginia had a lower drinking age, their geography was enlightened (so to say).

You have to wonder how they got into Virginia Tech if they do not even have a clue what the boundaries of Virginia and West Virginia are.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

1. Move PA and NY to Northeast
2. Move Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois to Midwest
3. Rename board to "Appalachia"
4. Move in the rest of WV
5. Profit
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 10, 2022, 10:32:20 PM

Existing Ohio Valley board doesn't have a regional moderator either.

I've volunteered, but knowing how most of the mods/admins feel about me, I know that offer will go unrecognized.

Interesting story. A childhood neighbor and friend moved away when I was in elementary school. He was a year older than me and moved back to his family's original home of Lawrence County, Ky., which is right on the West Virginia border. (His father had been transferred here by Ashland Oil and then was transferred back east.) He didn't live far from Louisa, which is on the Big Sandy River across from Fort Gay, WV. We ended up reconnecting in college. He had some classes with some friends and we were all talking one night and he mentioned where he had lived as a child, and we both realized that we had known each other way back then. He told stories about how West Virginia allowed a drinking age of 18 for "3.2 beer" while the drinking age in Kentucky was 21, so lots of 18-year-old Lawrence County youth went across the river to Fort Gay to get beer.

VTGoose

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 11, 2022, 07:18:15 AM

You have to wonder how they got into Virginia Tech if they do not even have a clue what the boundaries of Virginia and West Virginia are.

It's a NOVA thing where they think they are the center of the universe. A number of years ago when dealing with traveling soccer, a NOVA parent though Blacksburg was just on the other side of Harrisonburg (well, yeah, it is relative to Denver).

There is also general confusion between "Southwest Virginia" as a region and "south West Virginia" or people who only hear "West Virginia" when mentioning where Blacksburg is located. South of Roanoke can also garner blank stares when people have no clue where that city is located.

Bruce in Blacksburg -- squarely in Virginia
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Alps

Geography != culture.

WillWeaverRVA

I've always felt like West Virginia would fit better closer to Iowa, to make Big 12 conference games easier.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

StogieGuy7

FWIW, this business of VA and WVa being lumped together has been going on forever; and it has never been in harmony with the culture in either state. West Virginia has much more in common, culturally, with western PA (northern WV) and OH (most of the rest). Even Bluefield has little interest in the goings-on within the neighboring commonwealth. It's always been that way and probably always will be. The spine of the Appalachians is more than a physical barrier to infrastructure; it's a cultural barrier as well.  Yes, there may be 2 counties that have become DC exurbs, but the rest of the state is basically Steelers and moonshine country.

GaryV

P13 was around at the time this thread was created. I wonder why it was never suggested to relocate WV as a new arctic island?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.