News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akotchi

The sign was changed in the last couple of weeks, I think.  This one is a pull-through to get to the plaza, after which the split to north-south Tpk. is signed (and configured) more like a typical mainline exit/pull-through, not like a trumpet entrance.

I think similar signing to the new pull-through panels in PA at approaching the new flyovers would have been appropriate for this sign, just adding Camden.  The ones in PA say

NORTH
   95      TO    NJTP
        New York

While the Extension is part of the Turnpike, in terms of jurisdiction, the location in question is outside the mainline ticket plaza, so motorists may not think they are on the Turnpike yet, despite the welcome sign coming off the bridge, until they pass through the ticket plaza.  Adding Camden at this location recognizes the southbound option, especially to those who came east on the PaTP.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadwarriors79

From what I can tell, NJTA just needs to add/uncover I-95 shields on the mainline at Exits 7, 7A, 8, and 8A, and entrance ramps at 6A, 7, and 7A.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on February 05, 2019, 08:00:29 AM
From what I can tell, NJTA just needs to add/uncover I-95 shields on the mainline at Exits 7, 7A, 8, and 8A, and entrance ramps at 6A, 7, and 7A.
Add is the key here; none of those signs have temporary green masks on them.  If uncovering was all that was needed; such would've likely been done by now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 05, 2019, 08:37:43 AM
Add is the key here; none of those signs have temporary green masks on them.  If uncovering was all that was needed; such would've likely been done by now.

One would think both could be done quickly: One involves removing rivets to remove the greenout; the other involves adding rivets to secure the shield to the sign!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 05, 2019, 08:52:26 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 05, 2019, 08:37:43 AM

One would think both could be done quickly: One involves removing rivets to remove the greenout; the other involves adding rivets to secure the shield to the sign!
I guess NJTA didn't have any spare I-95 shields in stock.  :hmm:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

artmalk

I contacted i95link.com regarding the status of NJTP signage for I-95.  This was the answer I got:

Thank you for your continued interest in the PA Turnpike/I-95 Interchange Project. 

Previous (October 2018) response:

<<Officials from the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, New Jersey Department of Transportation, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration began meetings years ago to determine the best redesignation option and coordinate execution of the signing changes.

During a previous construction contract, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority installed select signs in the area of interchanges 6 through 9 with the I-95 shield (covered with an overlay) in anticipation of the redesignation.  NJTA maintenance crews removed these overlays and also installed reassurance shield signs during the same weekend that the PA Turnpike/I-95 interchange opened. 
NJTA has noted throughout our regular inter-agency coordination meetings that the installation of additional overhead signs and pull through signage is scheduled to take place prior to the end of the calendar year to supplement the initial opening weekend changes.  February 2019 Update:  NJTA has indicated that the installation of this signage should be executed this Spring. 
Should you have any specific questions, we suggest you submit a Customer Inquiry directly to NJTA via the following link:  https://www.njta.com/contact-us.>>

I will believe it when we see it.

PHLBOS

Quote from: artmalk on February 05, 2019, 01:54:30 PMI will believe it when we see it.
Between now & Easter, I plan to make at least two trips to Massachusetts from Greater Philly.  Unless someone else sees such beforehand; l'll post a status update similar to what I did following my Thanksgiving & Christmastime trips.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

I was out on the Bridge-to-Exit 9 portion of the Turnpike and Extension today en route to meetings.  I can confirm that the EB pull-through on the Extension (that Roadwarriors79 noted upthread) is the only additional sign showing the I-95 marker.

I did also see, but could not photograph because it actually startled me, a ground-mounted confirmation along the SB truck lanes south of Interchange 8 -- at MP 65.  Just like the northbound one north of Interchange 6, it has the blue cardinal direction South, I-95 shield and Turnpike trailblazer.  It was the only one like that I saw, and I was on most of the length of the I-95 portion of the Turnpike today.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on February 04, 2019, 10:47:51 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 04, 2019, 10:24:05 AM
Personally I would've arranged that BGS a tad differently and sized/spaced it to allow for a NORTH cardinal to be placed above the I-95 shield.  Something like:

NORTH
      95    NJTP
      Camden
     New York

It's a bit muddled. It seems to be functioning as a pull-thru, not advance exit signage (Turnpike South seems to be treated as an exit now). It doesn't help that the PA extension doesn't have its own identity, and gets signed as "NJTP" on entrances just like the mainline. Had that not been the case, "NORTH 95 TO NJTP" (similar to the Westbound/Southbound sign minus the NJTP shield) would be the most appropriate here. As it is, it would have to be "NORTH I-95/NJTP TO SOUTH NJTP" or "SOUTH NJTP Camden 5 miles", though a five mile advance sign may be too early.
The point I was trying to convey here is that the absence of the NORTH cardinal on this particular sign at this particular location could mislead someone into thinking that the entire N-S NJTP is I-95.  Until late last September, many in the general public mistakenly thought such (some probably still do).

Granted, those approaching this gantry already pass at least one pull-through sign listing such as I-95 northbound on the PA side; but still, there should be some consistency.

Quote from: akotchi on February 04, 2019, 12:09:28 PMI think similar signing to the new pull-through panels in PA at approaching the new flyovers would have been appropriate for this sign, just adding Camden.  The ones in PA say

NORTH
   95      TO    NJTP
        New York

While the Extension is part of the Turnpike, in terms of jurisdiction, the location in question is outside the mainline ticket plaza, so motorists may not think they are on the Turnpike yet, despite the welcome sign coming off the bridge, until they pass through the ticket plaza.  Adding Camden at this location recognizes the southbound option, especially to those who came east on the PaTP.
Given that this particular sign is located not too far from the mainline toll gantry (just after the US 130 interchange); the placement of a TO next to the NJTP shield would not be appropriate let alone inaccurate.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 07, 2019, 09:22:27 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on February 04, 2019, 10:47:51 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 04, 2019, 10:24:05 AM
Personally I would've arranged that BGS a tad differently and sized/spaced it to allow for a NORTH cardinal to be placed above the I-95 shield.  Something like:

NORTH
      95    NJTP
      Camden
     New York

It's a bit muddled. It seems to be functioning as a pull-thru, not advance exit signage (Turnpike South seems to be treated as an exit now). It doesn't help that the PA extension doesn't have its own identity, and gets signed as "NJTP" on entrances just like the mainline. Had that not been the case, "NORTH 95 TO NJTP" (similar to the Westbound/Southbound sign minus the NJTP shield) would be the most appropriate here. As it is, it would have to be "NORTH I-95/NJTP TO SOUTH NJTP" or "SOUTH NJTP Camden 5 miles", though a five mile advance sign may be too early.
The point I was trying to convey here is that the absence of the NORTH cardinal on this particular sign at this particular location could mislead someone into thinking that the entire N-S NJTP is I-95.  Until late last September, many in the general public mistakenly thought such (some probably still do).

Granted, those approaching this gantry already pass at least one pull-through sign listing such as I-95 northbound on the PA side; but still, there should be some consistency.

The absolute correct version of this pull-thru sign would simply be:

North
   95     NJTPK
  New York City

Signs approaching Interchange 6 with the mainline will show the NJ Tpk South/Camden as an exit. 

Because of this being an unusual case of the Turnpike intersecting with the Turnpike, it appears a little creativity had to be exercised here, and that was eliminating the cardinal direction.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2019, 09:56:31 AM
Because of this being an unusual case of the Turnpike intersecting with the Turnpike, it appears a little creativity had to be exercised here, and that was eliminating the cardinal direction.
If only the southern Turnpike were numbered, it could do what PA does, not using trailblazers within the system and posting route numbers only. I wonder what was done before the Northeast Extension got a numeric designation.

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on February 07, 2019, 12:43:12 PM
If only the southern Turnpike were numbered, it could do what PA does, not using trailblazers within the system and posting route numbers only. I wonder what was done before the Northeast Extension got a numeric designation.
Was there a time when it wasn't PA 9?

jeffandnicole

But it is numbered!  They just elect not to use the number.

The PA Turnpike Northeast Extension was formerly PA Route 9, and that was used on signage - at least some signage - prior to it being designated as I-476.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2019, 01:00:17 PM

The PA Turnpike Northeast Extension was formerly PA Route 9, and that was used on signage - at least some signage - prior to it being designated as I-476.
According to Wikipedia, PA 9 was designated in 1980, while the first section opened in 1955, and I-76 was designated such in 1964, so a partially unnumbered Turnpike system exist for at least 16 years. Of course, signing standards may have been significantly different in the 60s and 70s.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2019, 09:56:31 AMThe absolute correct version of this pull-thru sign would simply be:

North
   95     NJTPK
  New York City

Signs approaching Interchange 6 with the mainline will show the NJ Tpk South/Camden as an exit. 
For the split at Exit 6 and northward, yes; at the US 130 interchange (once known as Exit 6A) itself, no.  The reason being that one has two directional choices for the Turnpike further down from this location; so using your listed legend, the pull-through BGS arrangement should read:

NORTH
   95     NJTPK
New York City

That's for sure.

Quote from: bzakharin on February 07, 2019, 01:20:59 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2019, 01:00:17 PM

According to Wikipedia, PA 9 was designated in 1980, while the first section opened in 1955, and I-76 was designated such in 1964, so a partially unnumbered Turnpike system exist for at least 16 years. Of course, signing standards may have been significantly different in the 60s and 70s.
Correct regarding when the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike becoming PA 9.  Many of the older, button-copy signs along that stretch that predated the PA 9 designation either did not have PA 9 shields placed on the panels at all or had such placed on very late (one ramp old ramp sign at the Norristown interchange got a PA 9 shield in the early 90s).  Heck, this newer BGS basically was a match-in-kind to an ancient pre-PA 9 era button-copy.

That said, while the NE Extension originally no visual route number; PTC may have very well had an internal designation for that stretch much like the NJTP south of Exit 6 is internally known as NJ 700.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Ok, but my point is trying to find an analogue to the situation where multiple directions of the same Turnpike system meet and one of them has no (signed) route number. I am asserting that the PA Turnpike had such a situation at one point, and wondering how the Northeast Extension was signed from I-276 when this situation existed.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on February 07, 2019, 04:05:58 PMI am asserting that the PA Turnpike had such a situation at one point, and wondering how the Northeast Extension was signed from I-276 when this situation existed.
In this thread there's the fore-mentioned 60s or 70s vintage signs at the Norristown interchange circa 1993-1994.  At the time, the PA 9 shield was recently added.

As far as how the PA Turnpike was originally signed at that interchange and the neighboring NE Extension interchange is concerned; my guess is that the PTC listed control cities with either TURNPIKE NORTH/EAST/WEST or POINTS NORTH/EAST/WEST wording either above or below the applicable control cities.  The PA Turnpike Keystone shield was not on these particular signs.

BTW, this site has a July 28, 2000 photo of the fore-mentioned older button-copy PA Turnpike signage along US 22 that only featured a PA Turnpike shield.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 07, 2019, 04:35:00 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on February 07, 2019, 04:05:58 PMI am asserting that the PA Turnpike had such a situation at one point, and wondering how the Northeast Extension was signed from I-276 when this situation existed.
In this thread there's the fore-mentioned 60s or 70s vintage signs at the Norristown interchange circa 1993-1994.  At the time, the PA 9 shield was recently added.

As far as how the PA Turnpike was originally signed at that interchange and the neighboring NE Extension interchange is concerned; my guess is that the PTC listed control cities with either TURNPIKE NORTH/EAST/WEST or POINTS NORTH/EAST/WEST wording either above or below the applicable control cities.  The PA Turnpike Keystone shield was not on these particular signs.

BTW, this site has a July 28, 2000 photo of the fore-mentioned older button-copy PA Turnpike signage along US 22 that only featured a PA Turnpike shield.
Northeastern Extension, huh? And looking at what's currently there, it still says "Northeast Extension" in addition to the I-476 shield. I haven't noticed that before. NJTP doesn't have "PA Extension" or Pearl Harbor or whatever on any of the exit signs. Though I think it used to. Must have been before 2008 when the oldest GSV has the old all text "PA Turnpike" sign and a newer "I-276 / US 130" sign.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on February 07, 2019, 05:49:56 PMNJTP doesn't have "PA Extension" or Pearl Harbor or whatever on any of the exit signs. Though I think it used to. Must have been before 2008 when the oldest GSV has the old all text "PA Turnpike" sign and a newer "I-276 / US 130" sign.
Actually, NJTP used the term Penn. Extension for past entrance ramp signage as a control point along nearby interchanges on the N-S mainline NJTP.  Such terminology never appeared on signs along the actual Turnpike corridors themselves.  Old ramp signage at Exit 7A (I-195)

To tell you the truth, I completely forgot about that Northeastern Extension notation on that old PA turnpike sign.  Not sure whether such was a typo/boo-boo or the accepted nomenclature for when that sign was originally erected.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadwarriors79

For those of you who use Apple Maps, you'll be happy to know that they finally got around to making the changes for the new interchange.

PHLBOS

Thread Bump & Update

During a recent weekend trip to/from Massachusetts, I noticed the following sign changes/additions:

1.  All of the remaining I-276 mileage markers along the PA-side of the Delaware River Bridge, including MM 359.0, have been removed. and replaced w/I-95-based ones with the highest MM being 43.4.  Observation: MM 43.0 and MM 41.0 (recent replacement(?)) feature Clearview for the MM numerals instead of Series C.  All the decimal/fraction markers use Series D numerals.  IA reinstatement or no IA reinstatement; the use of Clearview numerals was never part of the IA.

2.  The US 13 shield on this BGS is already peeling at the top.  A sliver of the upper-right portion is now missing.

3.  Along the I-95/NJ Turnpike mainline; a new, stacked SOUTH 95 NJTP reassurance marker assembly has been erected to the right of the outer/truck lanes around MM 65... north of Exit 7A (I-195) & roughly 6 miles north of the Richard Stockton Service Area.

No other I-95 shields have been added to NJTP BGS' since.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2019, 09:13:20 AM
2.  The US 13 shield on this BGS is already peeling at the top.  A sliver of the upper-right portion is now missing.
I've noticed that in the past few years, PA has started putting advance signage out beyond 2 miles.

Here's an example on 202 in the Malvern area.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

PHLBOS

Quote from: ipeters61 on April 01, 2019, 10:14:13 AM
I've noticed that in the past few years, PA has started putting advance signage out beyond 2 miles.

Here's an example on 202 in the Malvern area.
This one's been around since late 2000.  It (unnecessarily IMHO) replaced a 3-down arrow 95 NORTH Philadelphia pull-through BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ipeters61 on April 01, 2019, 10:14:13 AM

This one is necessary due to the bridge.  The bridge doesn't touch down until about 1/4 mile before the interchange, and the only other BGS for this exit is at that point.

Roadsguy

Google finally has Street View on the flyovers from last October, just after opening. I notice they also now rightly show the flyovers as freeway mainline on the map.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.