News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions (sports edition)

Started by kenarmy, March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Super Bowl in London would be cool.

(probably not a good idea though)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Las Vegas has the most hotel rooms in the country and they now have an NFL team perhaps they could host a Super Bowl.

thspfc

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2021, 10:25:08 PM
Las Vegas has the most hotel rooms in the country and they now have an NFL team perhaps they could host a Super Bowl.
New Orleans, Tampa, and Vegas are the three main contenders to host Super Bowl 58 in 2024. Of those three, Vegas seems like by far the most logical choice. The Superdome is getting outdated fast, and Tampa just had the Super Bowl.

Big John

^^ New Orleans originally was granted the 2024 SB, but it conflicted with Mardi Gras, so it was moved to 2025.  2024 currently is unassigned.

webny99

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2021, 10:25:08 PM

2022 is Los Angeles and 2023 is Arizona, so possibly 2024.

Quote from: thspfc on April 13, 2021, 10:59:09 PM
New Orleans, Tampa, and Vegas are the three main contenders to host Super Bowl 58 in 2024.

(Edit: As just noted) I believe New Orleans is hosting in 2025.

I-55

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2021, 08:35:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2021, 08:03:49 PM
A Super Bowl in Buffalo would be wild. Buffalo and Green Bay are probably the top two worst winter climates for a Super Bowl host city.
Chicago wouldn't be too pleasant either.

Not to mention it has the lowest seating capacity of any stadium at just 61,500.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 13, 2021, 09:28:33 PM
Super Bowl in London would be cool.

(probably not a good idea though)

It would be chilly, but not the kind of bitter cold you can get in the northern US.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

Not only the Super Bowl, but the college bowl games played outdoors north of, say, I-40, are dumb. 

Through a form of greed driven calendar creep (the first Super Bowl was played on January 15th) the NFL has pushed the deal into the dead of winter.  It dodged a bullet in NYC that year, the weather was mild, but that is just luck.  This is a nation with plenty of warm weather cities and several northern domes.  Plenty to rotate among. 

As to colleges, bowls are supposed to be a reward.  Unlike the regular season, where it is businesslike in-and-out travel with no foolishness, bowls are held during semester break and the players get a reward.  But why play in Boise?  NYC? Boston?  Annapolis?

Boise?

Boise, Idaho?

gr8daynegb

More or less put out that Superbowl thing as something to have allowed more northern based franchises to have their area get some of the business hosting a superbowl would bring.  Money cities like Green Bay or Buffalo in their communities wouldn't see.  Packers trying to host an NFL draft as that seems to be as much as they could hope for
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

hbelkins

Would playing a Super Bowl in Vegas have any effect on sports betting? I may not be accurately remembering this, but it seems like I heard years ago that betting was not allowed on UNLV basketball games.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2021, 02:05:26 PM
Would playing a Super Bowl in Vegas have any effect on sports betting? I may not be accurately remembering this, but it seems like I heard years ago that betting was not allowed on UNLV basketball games.

Betting on Raiders games is allowed in Nevada, so I don't see why the Super Bowl would be impacted.
Also, sports betting became legal in Indiana last year and betting on Colts and Pacers games is allowed.
Probably other states as well.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2021, 02:05:26 PM

They changed the rule in Nevada in 2001, but you do remember correctly.  You cannot bet on Rutgers games in New Jersey.

Chris

triplemultiplex

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this bullshit that some NFL cities aren't suitable to host a Super Bowl.  If they can accommodate all the people coming in for playoff games then they can certainly accommodate the final playoff game.  If there is a problem, it's not with Buffalo or Cleveland or Green Bay, it's with the absolute circus the Super Bowl has become.

With the NFL's billions of dollars, they could make the Super Bowl work in Antarctica if they wanted to.  It's they're own damn fault the game is in February to begin with; they keep adding more games to the schedule.  Take out that stupid bye week between the championships and the Super Bowl.  It's lame.  Maybe players wouldn't "need a week to heal" if you quit adding games, dummies!

Why does the halftime show need to be so elaborate anyway?  It's all just crazy nonsense set to recorded music America has heard a billion times.  I call bullshit that you can't have a bunch of douchebags in onsies dance around with glow sticks in the winter.  Hey maybe if the Super Bowl was in a northern city, then those pussy rich fucks will bow out and a few tickets only cost one month's salary rather than three month's salary.  Anything to break the cycle of the Super Bowl increasingly becoming a thing only to be seen in person by the elites and a few charity cases.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 20, 2021, 07:08:31 PM
Anything to break the cycle of the Super Bowl increasingly becoming a thing only to be seen in person by the elites and a few charity cases.

What makes you think that wasn't done intentionally?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kenarmy

- IDC, Division Champions shouldn't get an automatic playoff berth.
- Poker shouldn't be displayed on ESPN.
- Twin cities should never be considered when naming a team.
- Horse racing is boring and tacky.
- Professional sports leagues should redraft players at certain intervals, every five or ten years or something.
- Professional sports should allow marijuana.
- Those rings dont define you as a goat. *glares at tom brady fans*.
- Referees should be inducted in the hall of fame.
- Joe Namath is grossly overrated.
- If you fish as a sport or watch it, please seek help!
- I might be crazy but I enjoy watching netball more than football.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

kphoger

Quote from: kenarmy on May 12, 2021, 02:18:26 PM

Preach it, brother!  Amen!

I forget now who said it:  Fishing isn't a sport, it's a form of alcoholism.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

The E in ESPN stands for Entertainment, so I think poker belongs in that aspect.

texaskdog

Quote from: Big John on May 12, 2021, 05:38:20 PM
The E in ESPN stands for Entertainment, so I think poker belongs in that aspect.
like wwe?

Big John

TheHighwayMan3561

The problem is ESPN (and other sports nets) don't have enough "major sports" content to fill 24 hours. So that's how you end up with bowling, poker, darts, outdoors shows, etc. These things are also extremely cheap to produce, and more people than you think are interested in the outdoors programming.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Poker is just as much a competitive game of skill as anything else on ESPN, and arguably more so because a poker player isn't limited by things like injuries, gender, or limits of their own genetics (in most cases). Most people think of "sports" as being only physical activities, but there's really no other good term for them, and nowhere else good on TV to put "competitive skills contests that aren't physical activities", like poker, chess, and e-sports.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 12, 2021, 06:54:07 PM
The problem is ESPN (and other sports nets) don't have enough "major sports" content to fill 24 hours. So that's how you end up with bowling, poker, darts, outdoors shows, etc. These things are also extremely cheap to produce, and more people than you think are interested in the outdoors programming.
I'd rather watch some of these obscure sports rather than Skip Bayless talk about Lebron vs Jordan for 5 hours.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 13, 2021, 06:41:50 PM
Curious if this would be a popular opinion or not for NFL.  If your team wins the Superbowl you get to host the game for the following season(or two years after if feeling there needs to be a gap in-between to help city/state prepare).

Great idea, you earn one.  And there are no real dynasties anymore.  Winning earns you a future super bowl sounds great!

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 02:27:00 PM

Preach it, brother!  Amen!

I forget now who said it:  Fishing isn't a sport, it's a form of alcoholism.

Throw bowling in there too. 

And no one should ever watch others bowl, fish, or play golf.

Roadgeekteen

- Those rings dont define you as a goat. *glares at tom brady fans*.
What about being almost number 1 in passing yards (already 1 by a longshot if you count playoffs)? Or the 3 MVPs?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.