News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What do you like on your pizza?

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, April 02, 2021, 04:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

it is usually easier if i tell them what 'not' to put on my pizza. i like them well loaded.

basically, don't put fruit on my pizza. most pizza people don't realize olives are fruit, so i usually have to explain it.

but pretty much everything else, throw it on. anchovies too.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

index

Almost any toppings will fly with me. I can't think of any that don't right now, but I like to go heavy on the mushrooms and onions. Spinach is good. I like meat on my pizza but I prefer vegetables, it adds another layer in contrast with the umami flavor/savory tastes of the tomato sauce and the cheese. I have never tried anchovies on pizza but I'd probably like it. Big slices of tomato are also good, but no chunks or diced tomatoes.

BBQ sauce is a no-go, I have no clue how people like BBQ sauce on pizza. I'd count that as a sauce rather than a topping if it's used in place of the tomato sauce.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

nexus73

Here is what I call the "Louisiana Special": Shrimp, Italian sausage, white onion, green bell pepper, light on the cheese, heavy on the red sauce, then serve it up on thin crust with some hot pepper flakes on the side.  If you want a taste explosion, this style of pizza will deliver!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Rothman

Quote from: nexus73 on April 03, 2021, 10:54:29 AM
Here is what I call the "Louisiana Special": Shrimp, Italian sausage, white onion, green bell pepper, light on the cheese, heavy on the red sauce, then serve it up on thin crust with some hot pepper flakes on the side.  If you want a taste explosion, this style of pizza will deliver!

Rick
Leave out the green peppers and I'd like it.

I have always hated green peppers.  The New York Times interviewed top chefs in NYC a couple of decades ago and they all said they dodge green peppers because they overpower all other flavors in the dish.  I like having some authority on my side...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on April 02, 2021, 10:18:57 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 02, 2021, 05:39:37 PM
Buffalo chicken pizza is my nominee for the most underrated pizza (but admittedly, some places make it better than others).
Yeah, that's true.  I'm not sure why it seems to vary more than a regular cheese/pepperoni (which is my main go-to).  I like Wegmans and Stewarts a lot (which is interesting, as I'm otherwise not that into Stewarts pizza, but their buffalo chicken is addicting).

I suspect part of it is that there's more variation with buffalo wing sauces than there is with standard pizza sauce, and there's inherently a finer balance with anything spicy.

tolbs17

nexus73

Quote from: Rothman on April 03, 2021, 11:00:36 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on April 03, 2021, 10:54:29 AM

Rick
Leave out the green peppers and I'd like it.

I have always hated green peppers.  The New York Times interviewed top chefs in NYC a couple of decades ago and they all said they dodge green peppers because they overpower all other flavors in the dish.  I like having some authority on my side...

Green bell peppers are a solid tasting veggie but when you combine them with all the other solid flavors in my "Louisiana Special", then you get an incredible taste explosion!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

interstatefan990

Pasta. Pasta pizza = underrated.

Also, no mushrooms for me.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

TravelingBethelite

Regular pepperoni with a metric f-ton of pizza sauce underneath is my usual go-to, but I'm partial to BBQ chicken pizza with thinly sliced red onions and spinach as a specialty.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Duke87

I insist that my pizza not be adulterated by having any extraneous ingredients baked onto it, thank you very much.

That said I will frequently use garlic powder and oregano as condiments.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

DandyDan

There isn't much I won't have on pizza. It depends on what I'm hungry for. That said, I didn't like anchovies the one time I had them and I didn't like Mexican pizza either of the times I had it.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

WillWeaverRVA

Typically I'll do pepperoni, extra cheese, black olives, green peppers, onions, and fresh garlic. I've had some pretty good BBQ chicken pizza, though, and there was a pizza place I went to in California that offered shrimp and it was really, really good.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 03, 2021, 09:13:09 AM
basically, don't put fruit on my pizza. most pizza people don't realize olives are fruit, so i usually have to explain it.

What, are you getting into biological definitions now?  Bell peppers, jalapeños, and tomatoes are also technically fruits, so are those a no-go as well?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 02, 2021, 06:15:09 PM
White anchovies instead of the standard "furry" ones are delicious on pizza.  Otherwise they're just little salt bombs.

I'm now on the hunt for white anchovies.  Thank you.

Can you make that substitution in other applications?  Do white anchovies work in a tapenade?  Do they melt into nothing in the pan to add depth of flavor to a sauce or pesto?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

OK, I picked up some white anchovies on Wednesday.  But now I'm worried they'll just taste like sardines–which I already had and rarely use.  Did I make a mistake here...

Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 02, 2021, 06:15:09 PM
White anchovies instead of the standard "furry" ones are delicious on pizza.  Otherwise they're just little salt bombs.

I do like heavily salted anchovies on pizza, but invariably I'll be the only one eating them.  I worked at a pizza joint growing up, and it was common to ask whether the customer wanted the anchovies rinsed.  Most people will tolerate picking off rinsed anchovies, but you can't rid the pizza of that anchovy taste if they're not rinsed.  That being said, a great use of anchovies is atop of antipasto salad.  And again if you aren't fond of all the salt, simply rinse them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2021, 11:33:05 AM
Can you make that substitution in other applications?

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2021, 01:31:46 PM
OK, I picked up some white anchovies on Wednesday.

From what I remember from working as a slot attendant, "wild" means it substitutes for all other symbols...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Sorry I missed your question about white anchovies.  I love them in Caesar salads as they're just a lot more oily and less salty than the typical anchovies.  Here's a great recipe that I use them in.  They're far sweeter than sardines as well. 

Chris

golden eagle

I'm a pepperoni guy, but I can also deal with sausage, beef, or ham.

kphoger

Forgot to follow up...  I had the white anchovies a while ago, and they were basically just a better-tasting sardine.  I imagine the refrigerated kind are better–being preserved in vinegar rather than just oil–but I don't know where to find those around here.  This past weekend, I bought a tin of white anchovies preserved in salt water to see if those are any better.

The way I ate them was to mash them up with spreadable cheese, capers, herbes de Provence, olive oil, lemon juice, smoked paprika, and diced Kalamata olives–then spread that on crackers.

So I'm not so sure they're a good pizza topping substitute.
Male pronouns, please.

frankenroad

My go to is usually pepperoni, sausage, onions, and mushrooms.  Sometimes green/red pepper, bacon, or banana pepper. Tomato sauce and Mozz/Parm.

However, I'll mix it up depending on where I am, and what they are offering.

I'll do a white pizza, sometimes with chicken, sometimes with clams, often with spinach.

I am a carnivore, so an all-veggie pizza is not on my list.

I do not like olives and I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza; other than that, I'll eat pretty much anything (including anchovies).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.