News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Abandoned PA Turnpike

Started by TheKnightoftheInterstate, July 29, 2013, 02:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Hey,

Some friends and I are hiking the old abandoned stretch of the PA Turnpike this Saturday. I was wondering if any of you road warriors have any tips for sightseeing on the pike or any safety tips.

Thanks!
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

PAHighways

Take a flashlight, or if you have one or can get one, a hand-held spotlights for going through the tunnel and if you are going to explore the tunnel ventilation buildings.

If you are into geocaching, there are a few along the way.

Roadgeek Adam

There are a couple bridges since taken out, so property lines have changed a tad.

US 30's bridge is one of them, I forget the other.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

deathtopumpkins

Definitely bring a very powerful flashlight or spotlight. When I hiked it a few years ago the tunnel portals were just a solid wall of blackness, and if you want to see anything but the few feet in front of you, you're gonna need a lot of light.

I'd also recommend wearing good shoes and bringing along water/snacks if you're doing the whole length, because it is a few miles long. Also keep in mind that you may not have cell phone service.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Wear a helmet. Chunks of concrete have been known to fall from the tunnel ceilings.
I believe the only ventilation shaft you can get into is the western portal of the eastern tunnel. Stairs have rusted away at the other ones.
Park at the far west side of the trail. Keep in mind there's a short piece of discontiguous abandoned roadway back there, but you can't walk all the way to the old trumpet interchange without trespassing. When I was there, there was ongoing construction activity (on a weekend even), so no dice.

froggie

QuoteThere are a couple bridges since taken out, so property lines have changed a tad.

US 30's bridge is one of them, I forget the other.

Pump Station Rd

QuoteI'd also recommend wearing good shoes and bringing along water/snacks if you're doing the whole length, because it is a few miles long. Also keep in mind that you may not have cell phone service.

Just under 8.5 miles one way, if one plans to do the entire thing.

QuoteI believe the only ventilation shaft you can get into is the western portal of the eastern tunnel. Stairs have rusted away at the other ones.

When I went biking up there with a couple friends a few years ago, I believe we were able to get to both ventilation shafts.  One wasn't easy to access, though.

QuotePark at the far west side of the trail. Keep in mind there's a short piece of discontiguous abandoned roadway back there, but you can't walk all the way to the old trumpet interchange without trespassing.

If the goal is to hike the entire thing, or to see the longer Sideling Hill tunnel (plus the abandoned service area), I'd actually park at the east end of the trail...there's a parking area off Pump Station Rd, accessible off either US 30 or PA 655.  It's much closer to the service area and longer tunnel, plus it's a lower elevation than the US 30/Breezewood access so it's a net downhill on the return trip if one does the whole thing.

Here's a photoset from my friend from our biking trip.  He has some impressive HDR shots in the set.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.